98 Jeep Wrangler rattle

grant_throck

I have a rattle underneath my feet of my jeep when I hit a bump, from what research I've done I can possible fix that with with the boot, bronze/bushing retainer, and the gasket but I can't seem to find where to order the kit? Any help would be great or maybe another possible fix for the rattle. I have a 98 Jeep Wrangler

IMG_1762.PNG
IMG_1632.JPG
IMG_1634.JPG

Hmmm, I'm not sure what that is, but do you have the link to the original article you found this photo from? If so, I'll see what I can find!

Nice looking TJ by the way!

That is for the transfer case shifter, where it hinges on the body tub, between your transfer case and frame, just above the frame. If the rubber grommet is worn or has come out it would rattle. It's a pain to get to, but not a hard fix.
Is that where you have determined the rattle is for sure coming from?
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/cw...n-automotive&gclid=CISR9vONhdICFY61wAod910GQA

Yea I'm pretty sure it's where it's coming from but not a 100% positive, any other advice where it might be would be great. And thanks for finding that link I looked for a while last night and didn't come up with anything

Wouldn't hurt just to get up under there and start shaking on everything you see... skid plate, drive shafts (check U joints), etc. If it's secured by a bolt, see if it moves when it shouldn't.

Mine was doing the same thing, I found it by holding down on the 4 wheel drive shifter, the rattling stopped, once I let off it started again, replaced mine and the rattling is gone
Kinda a pain to replace, but the end result is one less rattle
Good luck

Reactions: Germanshepherd