'98 Sahara build: "Staying the Course"

Awesome! Great job Mom. Way to go natural. Hoe I’d it that Veterinarians know those drugs will get to the offspring but medical doctors insist they don’t? Fools.

Congrats Squatch! Beautiful baby. What a blessing!

Reactions: Squatch
Thanks, all! It's been literally decades since I've been around a newborn, and the feeling is a bit different with it being my child's child. For those of you who are old hats at this, you surely must know what I'm feeling right now. Amazing. Truly amazing. A blessing, to be sure! Probably doesn't belong in a "build thread", but if "life" isn't the ultimate build, I don't know what is! ;) :)

Reactions: JMT
Congratulations "Grandpa"! We have 2 grandchildren. Enjoy her...like you say, different when they are your own. She will be handing you wrenches under the Jeep before you know it!

Reactions: Squatch
Congratulations "Grandpa"! We have 2 grandchildren. Enjoy her...like you say, different when they are your own. She will be handing you wrenches under the Jeep before you know it!
Thanks, brother. I'm really stoked about her arrival. It just feels so different than anything else I've experienced. Just cool. Don't know how else to put it. :)

Reactions: lowranger
With my little Mazda repaired, I'll be taking it down toward Portland this weekend to see my eldest boy for his birthday. While there, I'll be loading a Studebaker pick-up front bumper into the little trucklet, as the rear seats fold down and will give me plenty of room in the trunk and cabin area. Won't fit in the Lincoln, and the old Dodge diesel just doesn't like highway speeds these days (400,000+ miles on it). So, the Protégé gets to do the road trip. Cant wait to see how the Stude bumper is going to look on the TJ. Will likely need to be shortened a bit...or bobbed a lot! :D

Great on the Studebaker bumper. I knew you found one, just didn't know if you had it yet or not.
Once you start working on your Jeep, what are you going to start on first?

Great on the Studebaker bumper. I knew you found one, just didn't know if you had it yet or not.
Once you start working on your Jeep, what are you going to start on first?
First thing will be cleaning out and treating the inside of the frame. While I have found the entire thing has a nice ring to it when hit with a hammer, and I've found no soft spots at all, I did find sand and some flaking inside. It's not exactly an exciting starting point, but I can do that outside before it goes into the garage to get all the suspension work started.

Meeting a guy before work tomorrow to pick up another set of TJ half doors with soft uppers. They were just too good of a deal to pass up. Will get them home, clean 'em up, and probably post them at a very reasonable price for someone here to pick up, if they are so inclined. They're green with grey door panels and black uppers. They're off a '97 TJ, so I don't know if the green is the same as my '98 Moss Green Sahara, or not. If it is, I'll swap door panels with my black half doors and keep the green ones with the tan door panels, and sell the black ones with the grey panels. Confused yet? LOL Anyways, the addiction continues...

Meeting a guy before work tomorrow to pick up another set of TJ half doors with soft uppers. They were just too good of a deal to pass up. Will get them home, clean 'em up, and probably post them at a very reasonable price for someone here to pick up, if they are so inclined. They're green with grey door panels and black uppers. They're off a '97 TJ, so I don't know if the green is the same as my '98 Moss Green Sahara, or not. If it is, I'll swap door panels with my black half doors and keep the green ones with the tan door panels, and sell the black ones with the grey panels. Confused yet? LOL Anyways, the addiction continues...
That's great! Nice when you find something good like that and can use it and sell the other doors and get what you need and make a few bucks on top of it!

Black with grey, huh? That happen to be the color of my Jeep...no... Full doors or no doors for me. But they swap it so easy...

There seems to be enough interest in OEM half doors that I figured I wouldn't have a problem selling them. I won't post them on Craigslist or anything. I'd rather see a forum member end up with them (whichever set I sell). There's a guy got a set for sale locally for $900 on Craigslist. I figure I'll ask about half that, and see how it goes. Worst case scenario? I end up with a second set of half doors. That ain't so bad, either.

Last edited: