'98 Sahara build: "Staying the Course"

A lot of Cobb webs building up over here.....
LOL I've just decided that since my life seems to revolve around being the family's mechanic, I'm not going to post anything here until I can actually have something to report. It's kind of embarrassing. I mean, I must have $3,000 in parts I've purchased for my rig, and they're still sitting in boxes or waiting in the garage. This weekend, I worked on a Lincoln Town Car, a Volkswagen Passat, a Jeep Cherokee, and a Mazda Protégé. Know what I didn't get to work on? My TJ. (sigh) I was actually supposed to work five hours with my crew on Saturday, but skipped it to work on the family's cars. BTW, I started a new thread seeking input on valve train noise in the General Jeep Discussion section. It's just another challenge to my schedule.
I haven't given up on my Sahara. When it actually gets into the garage, I'm going to lock myself in there for two or three weeks and have a thrash session. I've already warned my wife of this! ;) Thanks for checking up on me, buddy. :)

LOL I've just decided that since my life seems to revolve around being the family's mechanic, I'm not going to post anything here until I can actually have something to report. It's kind of embarrassing. I mean, I must have $3,000 in parts I've purchased for my rig, and they're still sitting in boxes or waiting in the garage. This weekend, I worked on a Lincoln Town Car, a Volkswagen Passat, a Jeep Cherokee, and a Mazda Protégé. Know what I didn't get to work on? My TJ. (sigh) I was actually supposed to work five hours with my crew on Saturday, but skipped it to work on the family's cars. BTW, I started a new thread seeking input on valve train noise in the General Jeep Discussion section. It's just another challenge to my schedule.
I haven't given up on my Sahara. When it actually gets into the garage, I'm going to lock myself in there for two or three weeks and have a thrash session. I've already warned my wife of this! ;) Thanks for checking up on me, buddy. :)
Ok....yes....just checking up on you. Hope you get to start on your Jeep soon. Look forward to when you start posting parts going on your Jeep.:)

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Squatch
I've enjoyed your build so far too. Sorry you have been "sidetracked".

My ideal family would consist of:
1) A mechanic (somebody like Jerry here on the forum)
2) A building contractor (home repair guy - like Mike Holmes)
3) An interior designer (preferably a woman)
4) A police officer
5) A professional athlete
6) An owner of several Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealerships

Sadly, none of those are in my family. But I just hope yours appreciates the amount of money/time you are saving them...

Reactions: Chris and Squatch
I've enjoyed your build so far too. Sorry you have been "sidetracked".

My ideal family would consist of:
1) A mechanic (somebody like Jerry here on the forum)
2) A building contractor (home repair guy - like Mike Holmes)
3) An interior designer (preferably a woman)
4) A police officer
5) A professional athlete
6) An owner of several Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealerships

Sadly, none of those are in my family. But I just hope yours appreciates the amount of money/time you are saving them...
I'm the first two on your list for my family. The four that follow? Not so much. ;) As far as appreciation from the family goes, I'd say they are appreciative. Not enough to take better care of their vehicles ( :mad: ), but appreciative, nonetheless.

Well, you did give the thread an appropriate title, although it's been a lot more staying the course, and not so much building...I'd love to be closer and join the fun when you finally get to unleash the wrenches on your Sahara.

Reactions: Squatch
Well, you did give the thread an appropriate title, although it's been a lot more staying the course, and not so much building...I'd love to be closer and join the fun when you finally get to unleash the wrenches on your Sahara.
Yeah, don't I know it! I look at the other things I have to deal with as part of my responsibility, while my TJ is a toy. That right there is why the TJ takes a back seat to most everything else. Doesn't make for good forum material, but it is the way my life goes. Family first. That being said, I've been known to take vacations (staycations) where I've spent as many as 16 days straight of doing nothing but working in the garage. The neighbor lady made the comment one time that she can't figure me out. For the longest time, a car will just sit forever, and then suddenly she sees me outside night and day working on it, and it becomes something that I drive everywhere. It's not my preferred way of doing things, but I do what I have to do. :)

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
How long do you think it will be before you stray from the course @Squatch and give into the dark side? I know I couldn't resist!
Ha! Guess I had that coming, @Chris, being I'm always poking fun at your course changes! :D I have to laugh when I reread some the great advice you've given me on not "falling into the trap" and such. Oh, the irony of it all... ;)

Ha! Guess I had that coming, @Chris, being I'm always poking fun at your course changes! :D I have to laugh when I reread some the great advice you've given me on not "falling into the trap" and such. Oh, the irony of it all... ;)

If only I could take my own advice, ahhhh! But I go out in my garage, I look at my TJ, and it just says, "give me more!".

So, I've put in for two weeks vacation in June, and another seven days in early August. No reason to think it won't be approved. With June fast approaching, I've decided to go ahead and get my rims ordered, so I can get them powder coated (or painted) in time for my garage time with the TJ. I won't order them until I can get home and reconfirm (for like the third time!) that everything is correct, especially the center bore size being large enough to fit. The rims are 15" X 8" with 4.250" backspacing. I'm hoping that'll look alright with the wider Sahara flares. I'd like the 31" X 10.50" tires to be right at the edge, or maybe even just ever so slightly tucked in. Don't know why I'm nervous about ordering the rims (five of them), but I am. It puts me one step closer to having everything I need, so I should be stoked, right? Maybe it's the continual outlay of cash that is screwing with me. I've sunk more money into this TJ than I ever have on any vehicle, and I've yet to drive it. @bobthetj03 once commented on me taking a $750 Jeep and making it a $7500 Jeep. I think the man is a prophet! :eusa_doh:

So, I've put in for two weeks vacation in June, and another seven days in early August. No reason to think it won't be approved. With June fast approaching, I've decided to go ahead and get my rims ordered, so I can get them powder coated (or painted) in time for my garage time with the TJ. I won't order them until I can get home and reconfirm (for like the third time!) that everything is correct, especially the center bore size being large enough to fit. The rims are 15" X 8" with 4.250" backspacing. I'm hoping that'll look alright with the wider Sahara flares. I'd like the 31" X 10.50" tires to be right at the edge, or maybe even just ever so slightly tucked in. Don't know why I'm nervous about ordering the rims (five of them), but I am. It puts me one step closer to having everything I need, so I should be stoked, right? Maybe it's the continual outlay of cash that is screwing with me. I've sunk more money into this TJ than I ever have on any vehicle, and I've yet to drive it. @bobthetj03 once commented on me taking a $750 Jeep and making it a $7500 Jeep. I think the man is a prophet! :eusa_doh:

Get that TJ on the road !!!! Nerves are good but your gunna love it with those half doors and no top on ! The wind through your beard. It’s gunna be worth it.
JB is kinda a prophet though lol

Get that TJ on the road !!!! Nerves are good but your gunna love it with those half doors and no top on ! The wind through your beard. It’s gunna be worth it.
JB is kinda a prophet though lol
Yeah, I really am looking forward to it. Hoping to get the major stuff done in June so that the wife and I can enjoy it while there's still plenty of summer left. The August time will be to tend to whatever else it might need. You know...loose ends, and such. At least, that's the plan. And we all know that plans always work out...... ;)

Yeah, I really am looking forward to it. Hoping to get the major stuff done in June so that the wife and I can enjoy it while there's still plenty of summer left. The August time will be to tend to whatever else it might need. You know...loose ends, and such. At least, that's the plan. And we all know that plans always work out...... ;)
Looking forward to seeing this happen! :)