'98 Sahara build: "Staying the Course"

Came home to find my new Centric brake drums and shoes, as well as the Raybestos wheel cylinders, had been delivered. Woo-hoo! Also, I called 4 Wheel Parts this morning (they had left me a message). Turns out they just wanted to let me know the stainless steel brake lines were running late on getting shipped from Post Falls, Idaho. Nice of 'em to contact me and let me know that. :thumbsup:

It looked like they had a Forest Green Pearl there like mine, i'm looking for a right fender (mine came with a dented one) and I have always wished I could score a nice but ever have luck my my color. Wonder what they charge for it...is this a place where you pick the item off yourself, or do they do it for you?

It looked like they had a Forest Green Pearl there like mine, i'm looking for a right fender (mine came with a dented one) and I have always wished I could score a nice but ever have luck my my color. Wonder what they charge for it...is this a place where you pick the item off yourself, or do they do it for you?
They pull it for you, but you get to go out there with them and look over the inventory and choose the one you want. Joe works the counter, and is a pretty decent guy. I don't know the others that well, though the gal there is friendly, too. Mason is a young kid who works the yard. Fantastic attitude, and great to work with. They're open Saturdays until 3:00pm, I think. Closed Sunday and Monday.

Reactions: EJD
Awesome stuff for $166. You’re in the game. The great thing about that 03-06 gas skid is its enclosed, nothing open to getting banged up, especially on that corner. Congrats. Just hoping you don’t keep finding more of your enemy, the rust devil.

Reactions: Squatch
Awesome stuff for $166. You’re in the game. The great thing about that 03-06 gas skid is its enclosed, nothing open to getting banged up, especially on that corner. Congrats. Just hoping you don’t keep finding more of your enemy, the rust devil.
Getting the fuel line and vent tube (line) as a full unit from end-to-end was awesome. These are clean, whereas mine look like parts off the Titanic. I just cannot believe the odd way this thing has rusted. You'd think the frame would be toast, judging by the bolt-on parts, yet it's anything but. I am SO grateful for that!

Reactions: JMT
That is awesome you have a yard like that near you. Here, anyone that gets a TJ, parts out all the good stuff online. There aren't ANY in the salvage yards. What you do find looks like that exhaust hanger...
Ya know, at first I was on the fence about buying from them, as they are a little pricey on some things. However, when you need the odd item, or you need something yesterday, it rocks having someplace like this fifteen minutes away. And you're getting OEM parts. I also like that aspect of it. :)

Good!! Enjoy the moment! :)
Thanks, man. The entire vacation was planned as a thrash on doing modifications, but once I got into it, it became evident very quickly that this was going to be a lot about repairs and parts acquisition. It's still a helluva lot of fun for me, but I'm a little disappointed that I am unable to post pics of mods and upgrades for others to see. Repairs just don't hold the same interest as mods do, but it just is what it is, I guess. I have to make this safe and reliable first, and then go from there. ;)

Last edited:
Believe it or not, this is the kind of shit I truly enjoy following! Anybody can go online, order a new part, and install it, but you sir, are doing the research, doing the leg work, and restoring that rig like it should be done, and that is entertaining. I'm a fan!

Believe it or not, this is the kind of shit I truly enjoy following! Anybody can go online, order a new part, and install it, but you sir, are doing the research, doing the leg work, and restoring that rig like it should be done, and that is entertaining. I'm a fan!
Dude. Thank you for that. You have no idea how much I appreciate the support from you guys. Thank you!

You'd be surprised at how many people like looking at the rust removal process...I posted pictures for three months of rust repair on my build thread. That generated FAR more activity than just bolting on some new bumpers and stuff. Not sure if they like seeing what to do, or looking at the pictures and being happy they are not going through the same misery (secret...its kinda fun).

Awe you almost made me cry with those pictures. I have been there many time getting parts for my Blazers or my Jeeps. I remember it like it was last week. Thanks for taking me down memory lane yet again!!

Also you almost made me cry because of jealousy. We don't have anything near as cool anywhere close to me.

Nice job on the parts. I love that place!

You'd be surprised at how many people like looking at the rust removal process...I posted pictures for three months of rust repair on my build thread. That generated FAR more activity than just bolting on some new bumpers and stuff. Not sure if they like seeing what to do, or looking at the pictures and being happy they are not going through the same misery (secret...its kinda fun).
Well, I do know that personally, I find it very rewarding to take something that others would write off as not being worth it, and turning it into a presentable and useful vehicle. There's a real satisfaction in doing so. And yes, it is kinda fun, isn't it? :)

Reactions: derekmac and JMT
Awe you almost made me cry with those pictures. I have been there many time getting parts for my Blazers or my Jeeps. I remember it like it was last week. Thanks for taking me down memory lane yet again!!

Also you almost made me cry because of jealousy. We don't have anything near as cool anywhere close to me.

Nice job on the parts. I love that place!
I get a kick out of knowing that you know the area I live in so well. It just makes for a connection that I find rather cool. :)

Reactions: ac_
So, I'm thinking about separating the tub from the frame and lifting it up enough to get in there and clean it up. Maybe get some paint in there, if need be. For those of you who have done this before (attn: @Ranger_b0b), any words of wisdom on the best way to approach this? Any recommended lift points? My single biggest concern is whether or not I'll be opening a can of worms with trying to break loose the body mounts, but it's almost like "I just gotta know!", ya know? LOL Even I think there's something wrong with that mentality... :rolleyes:

*Edit: I just saw @StG58's thread "Body Removal", and found lots of info. Not sure if I'd need to be as concerned with some of the things posted in that thread, as I'd only be looking to lift the tub a couple of inches, but I could be mistaken. Words of wisdom still welcome on the subject!

Last edited:
Ya it is fun reading your stories, and really relating to where you are going and what you are doing, because I have been there. In my 20's and 30's I was really in to 4 wheeling. I grew up in the South Central district and got into some trouble and moved rather quickly to the Lynnwood/Everett area, where I really got into wheeling and camping. We we would go wheeling and camping almost every weekend, and I would work during the week and build my rig at nights so I could go tear it up again the next weekend.

I have so many memories of working on my Jeeps and wheeling up there. Once I got in to my 40's I started getting into street bikes and tracking them, but now in my 50's I am getting to old and slow to track the bikes anymore so I am getting back into my Jeep and camping and wheeling again. I still find myself forcing myself to take it easy now because I don't and can't spend my nights re-building my Jeep anymore. Even though I still find myself doing that, it is more of a choice than a necessity now.

It is really fun reading your stories because, you are doing the exact same things I did when I lived there. It really was some of the best times of my life. I am now doing it all again, but in a completely different area of which I know little about the area. It is fun and frustrating re-learning the best places to go camping and wheeling, as well as where to find parts locally.

Just to let you know some of the places I really liked to hit up there.

I really liked Reiter Road off of hwy 2. Miles and miles of woods with a nice creek, and some power line hill climbs.
Loved spending the weekends up at Ocean Shores. Fun little town and driving on the beach. Although you can't screw around too much because the beach is considered a hwy, but the police were always pretty cool.
Loved Granite Falls in the winter. Beautiful Snowy logging roads with turn-offs.
Moses Lake one of my fav;s. It can get rowdy, but there are sand dunes next to a huge lake, so you can get dirty then swim. Also Moses Lake the town is small and fun.
There is a place just before the pass on hwy 410 that I am not remembering the name, but it was super fun. You had to cross a train track to get back there, and once you were back there was some good woodsy trails and a full on river you could fish in. Lots of 4 wheeling but it was a drive from Everett.
Oh and of course Sultan Basin + Shaw Lake

Those are some of my favorite places there are a lot more than that, but I think if I name anymore I would need to write a book.

Reactions: Kathy and Squatch