'98 Sahara build: "Staying the Course"

I just wanted to share an interesting piece of information, here, regarding my "$750 Jeep". I just went through a fairly thorough investigation of how much I have spent since I agreed to purchase the TJ from the original owner. The number you are about to see is including the $750 cost of the TJ, but doesn't include the tools I bought as a result of wanting to do the work myself (ie: $1,300 worth of Miller welding equipment). And admittedly, it also includes at least one item for which I grossly overpaid (1st Dana 44...it was a learning curve), and two items that I bought with the intention of flipping them (a second Dana 44, and a second set of half doors). Still, any money I get back on those items will pale in comparison to what my plan for this thing has cost me to-date.

I bought the TJ in October of last year, and what started as a $750 purchase has grown to be a $9,402.91 indulgence. Sheeee-it!!! :facepalm:

I am so glad my wife doesn't get on this forum...
Well shee it! Man. You coulda got a bad ass one for that lol. However idle hands are the Devils workshop. So projects are good. But it pisses me off when I do some half asked cockamaney rigged BS and for a little more, I coulda got it done professionally. Lol where you lose alot, I find is buying the proper tools to do the job. But keep it up the good work!

Reactions: Squatch
Squatch, Keep at it. I think about all last winter...the drudgery of rust repair, coupled with the fact of doing and redoing something because I'm learning things as I go. It makes my drives this summer all that much sweeter. One of the things that kept me going is this forum, and a few guys who followed my post (you included) and gave me encouragement. Pictures are great, as it lets you show progress, and lets us know how its going. I am vested in this build! I can't WAIT for your first drive. I'll be so happy for you.

As far as the cost...The only difference between you and I is that I started with a 10,000 dollar jeep...I haven't calculated lately, but I'd be willing to bet that I'm closing in on that figure again, with replacement parts and upgrades...I'm also Glad my wife doesn't read the forum...she already thinks the Jeep is synonymous with Money Pit! :)

Yeah, @Squatch and @Ranger_b0b, it is a lot of money. I started at 12K and am closing in on 17K and will surpass that this year. I'm trying to do it as cheaply as possible. I had dreams of going to 35's last night for a wee bit of money. I think they could become a reality after my SY, DC and TT next year for sub $200, not including tires, of course. I suspect I'll be in the 20K range when all is said and done....But, it's all about the journey bros!

Guy in the brown truck supposedly coming today with early Christmas presents for my Jeep! BTW, my wife doesn't care what I do with the Jeep. She was all game when we went through Austin to put a Dana 44 in the back of her Yukon. She just smiled. I smile when she buys new curtains for the windows or chairs for our room. Smiling and encouraging works!

Reactions: TJ2 and Squatch
I just wanted to share an interesting piece of information, here, regarding my "$750 Jeep". I just went through a fairly thorough investigation of how much I have spent since I agreed to purchase the TJ from the original owner. The number you are about to see is including the $750 cost of the TJ, but doesn't include the tools I bought as a result of wanting to do the work myself (ie: $1,300 worth of Miller welding equipment). And admittedly, it also includes at least one item for which I grossly overpaid (1st Dana 44...it was a learning curve), and two items that I bought with the intention of flipping them (a second Dana 44, and a second set of half doors). Still, any money I get back on those items will pale in comparison to what my plan for this thing has cost me to-date.

I bought the TJ in October of last year, and what started as a $750 purchase has grown to be a $9,402.91 indulgence. Sheeee-it!!! :facepalm:

I am so glad my wife doesn't get on this forum...

That is usually the case when the initial investment is so low. :D

Well shee it! Man. You coulda got a bad ass one for that lol. However idle hands are the Devils workshop. So projects are good. But it pisses me off when I do some half asked cockamaney rigged BS and for a little more, I coulda got it done professionally. Lol where you lose alot, I find is buying the proper tools to do the job. But keep it up the good work!
Well, maybe I could've gotten a nice rig for the same money, but I surely wouldn't have gotten the education from it that this rig has forced me to get. And class is still in session! I learn so much from this forum and the wrenching on the little rig, and I wouldn't trade that for a one-time "nice" ride. It's just not my style. ;)

Reactions: Matt77
Squatch, Keep at it. I think about all last winter...the drudgery of rust repair, coupled with the fact of doing and redoing something because I'm learning things as I go. It makes my drives this summer all that much sweeter. One of the things that kept me going is this forum, and a few guys who followed my post (you included) and gave me encouragement. Pictures are great, as it lets you show progress, and lets us know how its going. I am vested in this build! I can't WAIT for your first drive. I'll be so happy for you.

As far as the cost...The only difference between you and I is that I started with a 10,000 dollar jeep...I haven't calculated lately, but I'd be willing to bet that I'm closing in on that figure again, with replacement parts and upgrades...I'm also Glad my wife doesn't read the forum...she already thinks the Jeep is synonymous with Money Pit! :)
Well, I know the list of quality parts is long, so that helps. It won't mean anything to anyone who isn't a "Jeep person", but to me and my brethren, knowing that it was done properly matters. Not sure that I will ever divulge to the wife what the total cost is, or maybe if I do, it'll be on our first wheelin' trip, when I know she's enjoying herself (or that it's too far for her to walk home!). ;)

Yeah, @Squatch and @Ranger_b0b, it is a lot of money. I started at 12K and am closing in on 17K and will surpass that this year. I'm trying to do it as cheaply as possible. I had dreams of going to 35's last night for a wee bit of money. I think they could become a reality after my SY, DC and TT next year for sub $200, not including tires, of course. I suspect I'll be in the 20K range when all is said and done....But, it's all about the journey bros!

Guy in the brown truck supposedly coming today with early Christmas presents for my Jeep! BTW, my wife doesn't care what I do with the Jeep. She was all game when we went through Austin to put a Dana 44 in the back of her Yukon. She just smiled. I smile when she buys new curtains for the windows or chairs for our room. Smiling and encouraging works!
My wife has also been very supportive, as well. Truly, the only time she has griped is when the front (enclosed) porch smelled like a Les Schwab from the new tires, and when the living room was being overtaken with boxes of new parts. Otherwise, she's been a real peach about it!

Well, maybe I could've gotten a nice rig for the same money, but I surely wouldn't have gotten the education from it that this rig has forced me to get. And class is still in session! I learn so much from this forum and the wrenching on the little rig, and I wouldn't trade that for a one-time "nice" ride. It's just not my style. ;)
Maybe with all your experience you could buy run down Jeeps and flip them.

Well, I know the list of quality parts is long, so that helps. It won't mean anything to anyone who isn't a "Jeep person", but to me and my brethren, knowing that it was done properly matters. Not sure that I will ever divulge to the wife what the total cost is, or maybe if I do, it'll be on our first wheelin' trip, when I know she's enjoying herself (or that it's too far for her to walk home!). ;)
Yeah bro, I'd keep that one under lock n key lol. Don't think the old lady would be to pleased to find out she's riding in the retirement account. Hahaha

Well, it does help somewhat, I guess. ;) I guess what gets me is that I've yet to drive this thing! At least others who are dropping coin on their rigs are able to use 'em. Best I can do is sit in the unbolted-down driver's seat and make engine noises! :drive:

@Squatch much respect to what you are doing man ... nothing will beat that happiness when you eventually finish and drive that Jeep!

Yeah bro, I'd keep that one under lock n key lol. Don't think the old lady would be to pleased to find out she's riding in the retirement account. Hahaha
Riding in a Jeep IS early retirement. There really is nothing else like it. @Squatch will know this soon enough, I HOPE!

Hey, buddy, the last 5 pages, and the only photo we've gotten is:
gremlin1-jpg.jpg

There's gotta be something you can post up...we're dyin' here. We need build pics! A wrench on a nut, a big hammer waiting to be wielded, something...