'98 Sahara build: "Staying the Course"

So, I realized today that I needed the backing plates off the Dana 35, as they have the provisions for the ABS wires to pass through. Okay, so it turns out that I really just need to drill a hole in each of my Dana 44 backing plates, but I didn't know that at the time. Anyway, to pull the axles on the Dana 35, I had to get into the pumpkin and remove the C-clips. This was great, because I've always been curious as to exactly what the damage was to the rear end, anyways. The original owner had said the rear end was getting noisy, and would periodically lock-up. Yeah. I think I can see why. I wonder just how long you have to keep driving with damaged spider gears to get 'em to look like this...
View attachment 47579 View attachment 47580 View attachment 47581 View attachment 47582 View attachment 47583
"Noisy" HA! I'll bet it was noisy. I'm wondering how it was even driveable, but then again, it wasn't when you got to it! Westward ho! Move those wagons. Keep on truckin' I've almost caught up to the end of this thread.

Reactions: Squatch
"Noisy" HA! I'll bet it was noisy. I'm wondering how it was even driveable, but then again, it wasn't when you got to it! Westward ho! Move those wagons. Keep on truckin' I've almost caught up to the end of this thread.
And yet, you've still gotten nowhere, much like my build! LOL By the way, when you get out here at the end of the month, we'll hit Olympic 4X4 Supply. That's the yard that's local to me. :thumbsup:

Hey Squatch, thought of you when looking over these pictures I took this past weekend. This guy had to be burning up in that suit!

squatch 1.jpg squatch 2.jpg

Reactions: Squatch
In my quest to give my TJ more of a vintage vibe, I'm considering having my Sahara seats reupholstered. The tan parts would remain tan, but the green inserts would be done in something like this (if not actually this specific material). My TJ is Moss Green, and the colors within this plaid pattern works well with it, I believe (taste being subjective, I know). What do ya think?

upload_2018-9-21_23-33-31.png

In my quest to give my TJ more of a vintage vibe, I'm considering having my Sahara seats reupholstered. The tan parts would remain tan, but the green inserts would be done in something like this (if not actually this specific material). My TJ is Moss Green, and the colors within this plaid pattern works well with it, I believe (taste being subjective, I know). What do ya think?

View attachment 56282
I didn't get the interior decorator gene but you have all the.basic Jeep natural colors, green, tan and brown.
I would cover my seats with that material, it's very jeepy. :)

I didn't get the interior decorator gene but you have all the.basic Jeep natural colors, green, tan and brown.
I would cover my seats with that material, it's very jeepy. :)

LOL With what it'll cost to have the seats reupholstered, I dang well better be sure it'll look good. At first I wasn't sure about the presence of burgundy in there, but it's kind of growing on me. That particular fabric is supposed to be a heavy duty automotive/commercial product, as well, so that's a plus.

View attachment 56282

This would be so cool!!! I gotta see this!

This would be so cool!!! I gotta see this!
Well, there's a very real chance it will happen. My little bride's XJ needs the seats done, and I proposed a tan/brown plaid for hers (full light tan interior rig). She loved the idea. It got me to thinking 'bout my TJ, and well...here we are. Going to see if I can get a price break on having two vehicles done basically at once. We'll see how that goes.

Reactions: Chris
If you can, just use the old seat covers as patterns.
Upholstery shops sell the foam padding.
As handy as you are @Squatch you might consider it, you could save a couple hundred or.more.?
My friend, as much as I like that idea, I have so much to do on the TJ that I have very little interest in taking on something of that magnitude. But thanks for the vote of confidence, all the same! ;)

Reactions: KCsTJ
Well, there's a very real chance it will happen. My little bride's XJ needs the seats done, and I proposed a tan/brown plaid for hers (full light tan interior rig). She loved the idea. It got me to thinking 'bout my TJ, and well...here we are. Going to see if I can get a price break on having two vehicles done basically at once. We'll see how that goes.

I think it would look cool.

Ever seen the interior of some of the more modern VW GTIs where they did the plaid throwback theme?

engine-performance-of-golf-gti_o.jpg