'98 Sahara build: "Staying the Course"

I get it you hate black lol. I get into detailing my rides, so I enjoy black quite a bit. Never stays clean, but on a sunny summer day when it’s freshly washed and waxed you can’t beat it!

After 5 black vehicles, that was the last one, guaranteed!

Without the bracket, your roll center changes, but only slightly. I was concerned about it, and talked with Blaine...he said it don't matter at 2 inches of lift, so whatever I wanted to do was fine. I wanted to KNOW though, so I took some measurements (not super accurate, but good enough for a garage mechanic) and did the trig. The roll center will change less than 1/8 of an inch...I don't think that will be enough to worry about...and have empirical evidence to back me up. I have a good friend running an adj trackbar in the factory location...his jeep doesn't roll noticeably more than any other I've driven.
This was my point in the thread OME 2.5" lift bump stops? Since I used an adjustable track bar, I saw no need for the relocation bracket. The roll center change was so miniscule, it did not warrant using the bracket. Plus they can be a PITA to put on, and I didn't have the patience. I've used adjustable track bars on three different Jeeps so far without the relocation bracket, and they all worked fine.

This was my point in the thread OME 2.5" lift bump stops? Since I used an adjustable track bar, I saw no need for the relocation bracket. The roll center change was so miniscule, it did not warrant using the bracket. Plus they can be a PITA to put on, and I didn't have the patience. I've used adjustable track bars on three different Jeeps so far without the relocation bracket, and they all worked fine.

I was curious about this as well, as to whether or not I even need a track bar relocation bracket with my OME lift.

I was curious about this as well, as to whether or not I even need a track bar relocation bracket with my OME lift.
I ran the suspension for a while after I decided not to put on the bracket, and was waiting for the adjustable TB to arrive. It worked fine, just that the axle was a bit more to one side...if I had to say, it was probably like 1/4+". You had to look very close to notice it, though.

Reactions: Chris
However, in looking at these, they appear to be nothing more that T6061 round stock cut to 1/2", 3/4", 1.00" and 2.00" spacers. Where I work, I'll bet I could slip my buddy $75 and get him to make me up a set or two. Any ideas as to the outside diameter of these things? If I had to venture a guess, I'd say from looking at the pictures they were roughly 2.500" diameter. Thoughts?

No need to buy those bumpstops... once you figure out how much bump you need do exactly like you said and make them out of aluminum round stock. I bought a couple of remnants of 3" stock from my local Industrial Metal Supply. I needed 1½" of bump to keep my shocks from bottoming out, they had them pre-cut to many different lengths (thickness in this case) for a few bucks each. Simply drilled a through hole and countersunk for the bolt head then drilled and tapped my perches.

bumpstop.jpg

No need to buy those bumpstops... once you figure out how much bump you need do exactly like you said and make them out of aluminum round stock. I bought a couple of remnants of 3" stock from my local Industrial Metal Supply. I needed 1½" of bump to keep my shocks from bottoming out, they had them pre-cut to many different lengths (thickness in this case) for a few bucks each. Simply drilled a through hole and countersunk for the bolt head then drilled and tapped my perches.

View attachment 32464
This is the route I'll go. Maybe I'll have my machine shop buddy mill some nice grooves in the sides to gussy 'em up a bit... :D (Just kidding......I think......) ;)

View attachment 32464
So, I checked here at work, and all they have is some 2.00" round stock. I might just purchase the stock myself (remnants). What diameter would you recommend? Someone in one of the threads said the diameters are different front to back. Would 3.00" diameter work for both, or maybe 2.750"? Just curious. I can have the larger diameter piece turned down, if need be. Just trying to minimize my buddy's time invested in a "government project"...

Reactions: derekmac
So, I checked here at work, and all they have is some 2.00" round stock. I might just purchase the stock myself (remnants). What diameter would you recommend? Someone in one of the threads said the diameters are different front to back. Would 3.00" diameter work for both, or maybe 2.750"? Just curious. I can have the larger diameter piece turned down, if need be. Just trying to minimize my buddy's time invested in a "government project"...

2.75" or 3" should work. Which ever you can get the best deal on.

Reactions: Squatch
I just got off the phone with a fella who's selling some black TJ half doors with the soft windows for $500. Driver's window is in fair shape, passenger window is better. Frames are in good shape. Has keys, and comes with both mirrors. I committed to buying them, and will drive the 3.5 hours (or so) to get them on Saturday. Will likely visit my boy while down there (about half an hour away from seller). I'm not sure if I have the window surrounds for running these doors with a soft top. Gotta see if they're in my TJ, but I think not, so I may be looking for some. Anyways, that's what's happening in my world today! :thumbsup:
*I forgot...they have the correct color door panels (spice), so that helps!

I just got off the phone with a fella who's selling some black TJ half doors with the soft windows for $500. Driver's window is in fair shape, passenger window is better. Frames are in good shape. Has keys, and comes with both mirrors. I committed to buying them, and will drive the 3.5 hours (or so) to get them on Saturday. Will likely visit my boy while down there (about half an hour away from seller). I'm not sure if I have the window surrounds for running these doors with a soft top. Gotta see if they're in my TJ, but I think not, so I may be looking for some. Anyways, that's what's happening in my world today! :thumbsup:
Right on! I have been considering half doors but I think I ha e the same issue, I’ll need more parts to make them work as I have a soft top. Enjoy your road trip and visit with your son :). I love the look of half doors. I’ve now been checking out some of the tube doors.

Great bit of buying mate...half doors are worth the effort...a lick of colour matched green on them and people will never know .

Right on! I have been considering half doors but I think I ha e the same issue, I’ll need more parts to make them work as I have a soft top. Enjoy your road trip and visit with your son :). I love the look of half doors. I’ve now been checking out some of the tube doors.
I've been looking around a bit, but they've either sold immediately, or are way too expensive for me. Also, all had the gray door panels. These are the best I've found thus far for the money. :)

Reactions: Starrs
Great bit of buying mate...half doors are worth the effort...a lick of colour matched green on them and people will never know .
Yep, yep! I'm pretty excited about the purchase. I know there have been better deals out there (I just missed a set in @Chris' neck of the woods for $200 a while back!), but this deal is fairly acceptable. :)

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Chris
2.75" or 3" should work. Which ever you can get the best deal on.
Talked with my buddy who runs the machine shop here at work. Said there's a place right up the road that sells the 3" round rod. Said he'd make me whatever I need if I get the material. Woo-hoo! I know his favorite brand of Vodka...;)

Reactions: bobthetj03
Hey...I have a set of spice uppers that I have posted on Craigslist for a while. No frames, but zippers and windows are pretty nice. Interested? Can't imagine that shipping would be too much.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/soft-uppers-for-half-door.8402/
Let me make sure that nothing unusual happens between now and the time I have the doors in the trunk of my Lincoln (loss of job, seller flakes out on me, an asteroid lands on my TJ...you know, the usual stuff). If all goes as planned, then yes, I'd be very much interested in them. I assume they fit on the factory frames...?

Last edited:
You guys are killing me with all these half door finds! Nice score buddy! Hope it all works in your favor.
Thanks, brother. I'm kind of "counting my chickens before they hatch", I know, but the guy came across as being on the up 'n up, so I feel fairly confident I'll be getting them as planned.

Reactions: bobthetj03