'98 Sahara build: "Staying the Course"

What did it come in at? I'm curious since eventually I'd like to have my seats redone.
Front and back seats will be right around $1,600. I'm supplying the plaid material, as I found a discount place that's 40% cheaper than other places that sell the same exact brand. Also, remember that Mother Washington has a state sales tax, so that adds to the cost by around $150...

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Front and back seats will be right around $1,600. I'm supplying the plaid material, as I found a discount place that's 40% cheaper than other places that sell the same exact brand. Also, remember that Mother Washington has a state sales tax, so that adds to the cost by around $150...
Seems like the average price for custom

Reactions: Squatch

Is that with everything new, vinyl sides and backs? I know you originally thought you might get away with just redoing the inserts.

Is that with everything new, vinyl sides and backs? I know you originally thought you might get away with just redoing the inserts.
Yes, but this is for the XJ, not the TJ. With the TJ, it does look like I'll be able to get away with just the inserts. I'm really looking forward to it.

Reactions: dla

Good to know! That makes me feel a bit better about having mine redone at some point. I'll redo them in a similar color, probably just something a bit more modern.

Reactions: Squatch
Good to know! That makes me feel a bit better about having mine redone at some point. I'll redo them in a similar color, probably just something a bit more modern.
I got the samples in today. Pretty disappointing, I must say. They looked so vivid in the pictures on their website, but in person, they're rather washed out looking. My wife even asked "Is that the back of the material?" Guess I'll keep searching. Bummer.

I got the samples in today. Pretty disappointing, I must say. They looked so vivid in the pictures on their website, but in person, they're rather washed out looking. My wife even asked "Is that the back of the material?" Guess I'll keep searching. Bummer.

At least you got the samples first as oppose to just going with a material and finding out after it's done that it looks washed out!

At least you got the samples first as oppose to just going with a material and finding out after it's done that it looks washed out!
Very true! I'm now looking at material from the Volkswagen Westfalia of the '70s. Ooooh, they're bright! :D
westfalia-berlin4.jpg

Reactions: 02GreenTJ
I know. I'm having a hard time finding a plaid automotive upholstery fabric. The one I found that absolutely rocked was $229 a yard!!!

How about that plaid I showed you that they used in the more recent VW GTIs?

Gonna look into that. Thanks for the reminder! :thumbsup:

No problem! I like that plaid as it's a darker color. They did that material on some of the more modern GTIs too, so my guess is you could still get it pretty easily.

No problem! I like that plaid as it's a darker color. They did that material on some of the more modern GTIs too, so my guess is you could still get it pretty easily.
They have it available out of Mexico. It's $40-$50 a yard, depending on which color/pattern you choose. I like it, but still will search for a slightly more vintage look. It is definitely a viable option, however, as it does look sharp.

They have it available out of Mexico. It's $40-$50 a yard, depending on which color/pattern you choose. I like it, but still will search for a slightly more vintage look. It is definitely a viable option, however, as it does look sharp.

Yes, probably not as vintage, but it does look cool.

Where did you find it? I'd actually like to see the link to it if you found it online. Now you've got me trying to picture plaid inserts in the seats on mine... I wonder if that would look out of place.

Can't seem to copy the link for some reason. (shrug). I just looked up "GTI Plaid Interior Fabric For Sale" on Google, and it showed some available on Ebay…

I've already requested samples (last night). They have the Green, Yellow, and Brown/Mexican Beige still available. I'm really surprised at how hard it is to find a plaid upholstery fabric. There's some Mercedes OEM stuff available, but that's the $229 a yard stuff I mentioned earlier. Just gonna have to pass on that one!