'98 Sahara build: "Staying the Course"

You guys are killing me with all these half door finds! Nice score buddy! Hope it all works in your favor.
Seller just contacted me with pics of the driver's window. The clear (Mylar?) is pretty torn up, so he said he felt he should drop the price $50. Sounds like a good kid, to me. Also, I found a local guy selling the door surrounds I'm missing for $80. Not sure what they go for, but being that I need 'em, that price works well enough for me. Looking forward to the drive, Saturday. About 3.5 hours each way. Throw in half a dozen Joe Cocker CD's in the Lincoln and hit the road! Yeah, Baby!!! :drive:

Reactions: Kathy and Kiwi TJ
Seller just contacted me with pics of the driver's window. The clear (Mylar?) is pretty torn up, so he said he felt he should drop the price $50. Sounds like a good kid, to me. Also, I found a local guy selling the door surrounds I'm missing for $80. Not sure what they go for, but being that I need 'em, that price works well enough for me. Looking forward to the drive, Saturday. About 3.5 hours each way. Throw in half a dozen Joe Cocker CD's in the Lincoln and hit the road! Yeah, Baby!!! :drive:
So and even better deal than before, well done...ROADTRIP!!!! and Mr Cocker for company would help things along and keep you "Feelin' Alright" just remember to "Leave you hat on" hehe

Reactions: Squatch
So and even better deal than before, well done...ROADTRIP!!!! and Mr Cocker for company would help things along and keep you "Feelin' Alright" just remember to "Leave you hat on" hehe
LOL Yep! I think I have 13 Cocker CDs (some double discs sets). Lots of CCR, as well. And Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show, from before they cleaned-up their image. Love that stuff!

Why do you need the door surrounds? They only reason you would need them is if you want to run the uppers with the top off.

Why do you need the door surrounds? They only reason you would need them is if you want to run the uppers with the top off.
I thought they were needed to run with a soft top, as well? I have both the hard top and the folding convertible top. Am I mistaken on the need for them to work with a soft top? Is my rookie/newbie/noob line showing??? :confused:

I thought they were needed to run with a soft top, as well? I have both the hard top and the folding convertible top. Am I mistaken on the need for them to work with a soft top? Is my rookie/newbie/noob line showing??? :confused:

I'm sorry, I didn't know you had a soft top. Yes, you will need the door surrounds for a soft top, as well as a tailgate bar and the bar brackets that attach to the rear tailgate. When did you get a soft top? I can't keep track of all you guys!

Reactions: Squatch and Kiwi TJ
I'm sorry, I didn't know you had a soft top. Yes, you will need the door surrounds for a soft top, as well as a tailgate bar and the bar brackets that attach to the rear tailgate. When did you get a soft top? I can't keep track of all you guys!
The original owner ordered it with both tops. He just forgot where he put the surrounds before selling it to me (he thinks they're in his storage unit). I have the tailgate bar and such, though, so there's that... :)

Reactions: bobthetj03
LOL Yep! I think I have 13 Cocker CDs (some double discs sets). Lots of CCR, as well. And Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show, from before they cleaned-up their image. Love that stuff!

CD's?? Man, I thought you were old skool :D

I'd love me some half doors ifI could find the matching color. I have yet to see in person the metallic khaki with half doors.

It's 5:17am, and I just got back from a helluva Saturday run. Picked up my Millermatic 211 welder, as well as a Miller welding mask and some .030" wire. Was going to buy the cart as well, but it turns out it's a large solid construction piece that I just wasn't willing to put into the back of my Lincoln (leather seats). And as I was heading out from there to pick up the half-doors, there was no room in the trunk. So I'll just pick one up locally, or build my own. As for the half doors, the kid couldn't locate the keys, so wanted to take another $50 off the price. I wouldn't let him. He's a young fella, very polite and respectful, lower lip full of chew and loves wheelin'. Country, through and through. It was cool. I just felt like the $50 difference would mean more to him than it would to me. Headed out to visit with my eldest son and his Momma and her beau, and had some awesome Laotian home cookin'. The day was long, but everything I was hoping for. I'll get pics up when I can of the parts pile. It's growing, for sure. But for now, it's time for some sleep. This is why no one sees Squatches around. They sleep during the day, and are out at night...;)

It's 5:17am, and I just got back from a helluva Saturday run. Picked up my Millermatic 211 welder, as well as a Miller welding mask and some .030" wire. Was going to buy the cart as well, but it turns out it's a large solid construction piece that I just wasn't willing to put into the back of my Lincoln (leather seats). And as I was heading out from there to pick up the half-doors, there was no room in the trunk. So I'll just pick one up locally, or build my own. As for the half doors, the kid couldn't locate the keys, so wanted to take another $50 off the price. I wouldn't let him. He's a young fella, very polite and respectful, lower lip full of chew and loves wheelin'. Country, through and through. It was cool. I just felt like the $50 difference would mean more to him than it would to me. Headed out to visit with my eldest son and his Momma and her beau, and had some awesome Laotian home cookin'. The day was long, but everything I was hoping for. I'll get pics up when I can of the parts pile. It's growing, for sure. But for now, it's time for some sleep. This is why no one sees Squatches around. They sleep during the day, and are out at night...;)
That sounds like a great day! Glad it was a good one for you.

That sounds like a great day! Glad it was a good one for you.
Thanks, @lowranger. It was. On the way down to Portland, I saw a very nicely done red LJ. It had a substantial lift in it (4", maybe), was running body-color tube fenders, looked like 33" tires, round "halo" LED tail lights and a bumper-mounted spare tire carrier with the gas can provision. All shiny and sharp, but you can tell it was purpose-built, and not a mall crawler. Very cool.

Those clear lenses are tits Squatch! Nothing wrong with treating yourself, and your jeep to a little bling now and then.
The lenses arrived today. Other than having a Quadratec logo built into the side marker lights, I really like 'em, and think they'll look great on my rig (until I can weld up the turn signal holes altogether and run CJ style turn signals in the grill). Q-tec sent a nice, thick, juicy catalog with it. I went through it the way us kids used to go through the old Sears and Monkey Wards catalogs before Christmas time. Thought my wife was gonna snatch it away from me, roll it up, and swat me with it! Good times!

The lenses arrived today. Other than having a Quadratec logo built into the side marker lights, I really like 'em, and think they'll look great on my rig (until I can weld up the turn signal holes altogether and run CJ style turn signals in the grill). Q-tec sent a nice, thick, juicy catalog with it. I went through it the way us kids used to go through the old Sears and Monkey Wards catalogs before Christmas time. Thought my wife was gonna snatch it away from me, roll it up, and swat me with it! Good times!
Nothing wrong with looking through a wish book. :)

So what you're saying is I should return the clear turn signal lenses? o_O :) I hear ya. I do go through moments of thinking that a particular thing would be great to have (JCR Offroad Crusader Rock Sliders comes to mind), but then I stop to think of the extra investment, and the likelihood that a need to put the item to the test would ever arrive. Rokmen skids are another temptation. And that's just for the things that pop up while just looking through sites. The one that really gets me is the winch. I will be buying a winch. Period. But I have my mind set that the Warn M8000-S is the one to get. What kills me is the cost. There are options out there that are far more affordable, but sometimes that can bite you in the ass. I don't ever want there to be a time where I need a winch, and a cheaper unit fails me. Having said that, it sure seems to me that a lot of winches end up being nothing more than expensive bumper trim, as they never get used. Some could argue (myself, included) that it's more insurance than necessity, I suppose. Anyways, thanks for trying to keep me focused
Like you, the Warn looked too expensive, even if I bough it with steel cable and bought synthetic later and recovered some cost by selling the cable. Personally, I think there are just as reliable winches out there besides Warn. Chris must think so too, since he got a Smittybilt. I think if you research the company and reviews you learn a lot. I went with Superwinch. They are by no means new in the business and I have never read of them failing people. I honestly don’t think there are many folks who have run 5-6 different winches and done the kind of testing that would be required. Daily driving them for months on end and then needing them out of the blue. Besides, it’s always a good idea to test the winch before any off-road outing. Also, driving ability and being smart will keep you out of most situations you would need a winch. I’ve needed mine bc of what? Stupid driving. 3 pulls back to back. No problem. Get one of the top brands that’s waterproof and go wheel it. No need IMHO to spend $850. Especially if it’s almost always going to be a bumper ornament. Just run it periodically for good measure.

So, I thought this was interesting. Quadratec has the Mopar Rock Crawler front bumper down to $612. The guy who I was originally going to have build me a Currie V-bumper "copy" (no time to do so, however) said he'd get me the Mopar bumper at his cost using his business account with Q-tec. Nice! So what is his cost? $698!!! WTF? When I told him what Q-tec was advertising them for, he's was both floored and puzzled. Anyways, I just thought it was strange. No real value in this post. Just sharing. ;)