'98 Sahara build: "Staying the Course"

Awesome pics of the family, congrats chief! I am very happy for you, I hope I am a bunch away from grand kids, but certainly looking forward to "sugaring" them up and sending home....lol
I've often heard that you feel differently about your grandkids than you did with your own kids. Well, I'm here to say that it's true. I couldn't tell you why, but it's just a special kind of bond, and I'm loving it. Thanks for the kind words, my friend!

So, I'm heading north in early August to pick up some TJ parts from a gent who posted them on Craigslist. He's selling a 4.0 with everything from the transmission, forward still attached. Flywheel, starter...the whole shebang. This also includes the radiator, and the ECU. He's owned this particular TJ (he currently owns three) for the past 17 years. It's a '97, and he says that the vehicle only has 89,000 original miles on it (had 42,000 on it when he bought it). I'm picking everything up for $500, which I personally think is a helluva deal. Probably gonna drag Vasq along with me, so he can keep me in check. This fella said he might have other stuff kicking around that he can "throw in", as he's looking to clean up his shop a bit. Cool. (y)
Here's one of his toys...
View attachment 266759
Keep YOU in check?! I was trying to decide how much cash I should bring.. just in case

Just picked up a TJ grille with an easily fixable dent under the passenger headlight area. Way the hell out there. Vehicle carcasses everywhere, tarp-covered sheds, dogs barking. Had to walk the property under the crackling power lines in an attempt to find the grille, as the ol' boy just couldn't seem to remember where he last saw it! :LOL: Anyways, I picked it up for $25. Figure this will be the one that ends up with the JK turn signals in it.

Just picked up a TJ grille with an easily fixable dent under the passenger headlight area. Way the hell out there. Vehicle carcasses everywhere, tarp-covered sheds, dogs barking. Had to walk the property under the crackling power lines in an attempt to find the grille, as the ol' boy just couldn't seem to remember where he last saw it! :LOL: Anyways, I picked it up for $25. Figure this will be the one that ends up with the JK turn signals in it.
I love those sort places...you never know what you'll find...(or what will find you haha)

• Haha
Reactions: Squatch
Spent some more time out in the garage, with the single goal of getting the front half of the tub off of the frame. A big "Thank you!" to @Vasq for the help with lifting it up off of there. Really appreciate the help!
thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail (2).jpg

Do I see a yellow Gremlin in the background?
You are correct, sir! I was wondering who would be the first to pick up on that (I didn't realize it was in the pic until I loaded it). That would be a very solid, very straight '71 that needs everything. Having said that, I have everything for it, including a 401 with 30,000 miles on the rebuild. The plan is that when the TJ is in a state of assembly to where it can be outside, the Gremlin goes into the garage for its turn under the wrench.

You are correct, sir! I was wondering who would be the first to pick up on that (I didn't realize it was in the pic until I loaded it). That would be a very solid, very straight '71 that needs everything. Having said that, I have everything for it, including a 401 with 30,000 miles on the rebuild. The plan is that when the TJ is in a state of assembly to where it can be outside, the Gremlin goes into the garage for its turn under the wrench.
The colors match pretty good! Think you should keep the TJ yellow. :)

The colors match pretty good! Think you should keep the TJ yellow. :)
Gotta admit, that yellow is starting to grow on me. I credit that to @Nickgsjeep "yellow throwback jeep". Damn, that thing looks good! Anyway, yellow is definitely on the table for consideration. It would still have to be repainted, even if it's yellow, but I've decided that a repaint will have to wait until next summer. I don't want to lose the momentum I'm experiencing by dealing with paint and (minor) bodywork issues. I haven't done enough painting to have it go quickly, so that's the reason for my delaying it.

Gotta admit, that yellow is starting to grow on me. I credit that to @Nickgsjeep "yellow throwback jeep". Damn, that thing looks good! Anyway, yellow is definitely on the table for consideration. It would still have to be repainted, even if it's yellow, but I've decided that a repaint will have to wait until next summer. I don't want to lose the momentum I'm experiencing by dealing with paint and (minor) bodywork issues. I haven't done enough painting to have it go quickly, so that's the reason for my delaying it.
I don't think you have to paint it at all right now if you leave it yellow. Now if changing colors, now would be the time to paint so it's easier to cover up all the yellow.... firewall etc.

I had a red ‘71 in high school, unfortunately totaled it during summer vacation 😞

• Sad
Reactions: Squatch
I don't think you have to paint it at all right now if you leave it yellow. Now if changing colors, now would be the time to paint so it's easier to cover up all the yellow.... firewall etc.
The plan is to paint the firewall and underside black beforehand (get it while it's easily accessible), knowing that the basic black will work well with whatever color I do end up going with.

Kinda been thinking about how far I want to go with this thing. I truly do not see myself going beyond 31" tires and the 2-2.5" lift the OME springs should afford me, but I have always had this nagging idea in the back of my mind that regardless of where I would ever drive this thing, the extra clearance a tummy tuck would give me would be nice. And of course, hanging around with @Vasq and seeing his build (the underside looks like mechanical jewelry!), well, it's been getting more and more difficult to resist the urge to move in that direction. So, I did end up taking a few steps toward it. I picked up a Savvy 1.25" BL kit, as well as their 1" motor mount spacers. I ordered a UCF 3/8" aluminum skid, and a set of front and rear upper double adjustable control arms from MetalCloak. Not really sure why I ordered the front ones, as I doubt I will need them, but I did, so there you have it.

I contacted JB Conversions, as well as Adams Driveshaft (for their Advanced Adapters package), and both are out of stock for an unknown amount of time. JBC said their supplier of the shafts is where the holdup is. Adams didn't say. So, I gave my info to JBC, as they are my preferred choice. I figure that I have so much to do elsewhere on this thing, that waiting on the SYE is probably not going to be an issue.

Man, I really need to stop hanging around Vasq… ;)

well, it's been getting more and more difficult to resist the urge to move in that direction.

Man, I really need to stop hanging around Vasq… ;)
You won't regret the decision, should you pick this path. I really wish, in this case, I wasn't on the other coast. Between @Vasq and I we could really mess up your direction, in a good way. I'd love to get my hands dirty on this one. Plus, you could use another old guy to help! :D