'98 Sahara build: "Staying the Course"

4borar.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Squatch
So, a few of you know that I acquired a rust-free tub a couple of weeks ago. This is huge for me, as the deeper I got into my project, the more damage I found from rust. It was very disheartening, and while I haven't admitted it to anyone before, the thought had occurred to me that maybe I should just abandon the project altogether, and part it out. Whether or not I'd obtain another TJ (in better condition) was debatable. I was only considering all this, so nothing was set in motion, but still...the thought was there, and that bothered me.

So, upon tripping across a local source of rust-free TJ tubs, my enthusiasm for my project returned. For $654 out the door, I retrieved the following:
image (5).jpg
image (4).jpg
image (6).jpg

I'm looking forward to getting back into it. Looks like my buddy @Vasq has plans for the back half of my original tub, so I'll be happy to see some use come to it. Trying to decide what color I'm going to go with. Figure that if I have to paint anything at all, I may as well make it worth my while and pick something that I truly want. Hope to have more to report in the coming months. Been a long, dry spell for me...

That's going to be a lot of work swapping "everything" over to that tub. Every wire, every brake line, the dash with all the wires etc. You'll probably be fighting rusted bolts trying to get things off. I'm not trying to discourage you at all! Just want to make sure you're up for the project, could take a very long time. If you sold your TJ with the current rust free tub, might be easier to sell it and find another TJ with very little to no rust and you are ready to hit the trails with us in no time. Just a thought.

Reactions: Squatch and Kiwi TJ
So, a few of you know that I acquired a rust-free tub a couple of weeks ago. This is huge for me, as the deeper I got into my project, the more damage I found from rust. It was very disheartening, and while I haven't admitted it to anyone before, the thought had occurred to me that maybe I should just abandon the project altogether, and part it out. Whether or not I'd obtain another TJ (in better condition) was debatable. I was only considering all this, so nothing was set in motion, but still...the thought was there, and that bothered me.

So, upon tripping across a local source of rust-free TJ tubs, my enthusiasm for my project returned. For $654 out the door, I retrieved the following:
View attachment 246912View attachment 246913View attachment 246914

I'm looking forward to getting back into it. Looks like my buddy @Vasq has plans for the back half of my original tub, so I'll be happy to see some use come to it. Trying to decide what color I'm going to go with. Figure that if I have to paint anything at all, I may as well make it worth my while and pick something that I truly want. Hope to have more to report in the coming months. Been a long, dry spell for me...
Good to see you haven't lost the will buddy..(well not just yet anyway ) Just remember....

Nothing-Worth-Having-Comes-Easy-Quote.jpg

Good to see you moving forward

That's going to be a lot of work swapping "everything" over to that tub. Every wire, every brake line, the dash with all the wires etc. You'll probably be fighting rusted bolts trying to get things off. I'm not trying to discourage you at all! Just want to make sure you're up for the project, could take a very long time. If you sold your TJ with the current rust free tub, might be easier to sell it and find another TJ with very little to no rust and you are ready to hit the trails with us in no time. Just a thought.
Fighting rusted bolts, and transferring parts from one rig to another are all things I've done a number of times before in my life. I'm actually really comfortable with the thought of taking all that on. It was the notion of doing rust repair on a vehicle that is by no means rare or particularly "special" (no offense intended, my fellow TJ brethren) that was really making me feel like it wasn't going to be worth the effort. If this was a mid-fifties convertible anything, I wouldn't think twice about the effort vs. reward aspect of it all. But it's not, and I was beginning to think I was just chasing my tail on the project. Like I had mentioned earlier, the thought of parting the thing out had crossed my mind. However, obtaining the new tub changed my outlook on it. Just getting the tub transferred over to the frame is going to make all the difference in the world to me, and so I'm really looking forward to it. I've got @Vasq about 1/4 mile away from me, and he's always helpful and encouraging. Additionally, I've got @Mike_H going through (almost done!) the very same process, and I find that to be rather inspiring. Hell, I even had my wife out there helping me to unload the tub off the trailer. That's gotta count for something! ;)

Last edited:
Fighting rusted bolts, and transferring parts from one rig to another are all things I've done a number of times before in my life. I'm actually really comfortable with the thought of taking all that on. It was the notion of doing rust repair on a vehicle that is by no means rare or particularly "special" (no offense intended, my fellow TJ brethren) that was really making me feel like it wasn't going to be worth the effort. If this was a mid-fifties convertible anything, I wouldn't think twice about the effort vs. reward aspect of it all. But it's not, and I was beginning to think I was just chasing my tail on the project. Like I had mentioned earlier, the thought of parting the thing out had crossed my mind. However, obtaining the new tub changed my outlook on it. Just getting the tub transferred over to the frame is going to make all the difference in the world to me, and so I'm really looking forward to it. I've got @Vasq about 1/4 mile away from me, and he's always helpful and encouraging. Additionally, I've got @Mike_H going through (almost done!) the very same process, and I find that to be rather inspiring. Hell, I even had my wife out there helping me to unload the tub off the trailer. That's gotta count for something! ;)
It's a lot of work, to be sure, but none of it is very difficult. They designed these to be built at a rapid pace and I found that the various clips and plugs and things help you layout where everything is located. The dash is the toughest part, by far.

My one piece of advice to you, Mark. Give yourself an aggressive deadline to get the swap done. If you come at this like you've come at the rest of your TJ project, I fear you'll forget where things go and how it was put together. I'm doing mine in about 2.5 months and I find myself scratching my head and wishing I had taken better pictures. I've been working on it like a second job, too. Nearly every day I get a couple hours in, and pulling 8, 10, sometimes 12 hours on Saturday and Sunday. Of course, I'm doing more than just a frame swap, but I'd still plan on 2 months, unless you take a couple of weeks off work and just attack it.

Transferring the tub over isn't nearly as hard as cutting out old rusted metal and repairing it. If you can sit them side by side, with space to work, it makes the job a lot easier. I didn't do this when I did one years ago and it was surprising how much I had to think about the orientation of parts pulled off, relative to where I had to put them back. My brain just isn't wired to do that easily! o_O

Well good for you then. Having help close by is a huge benefit! I look forward to following your build....or uh "reconstruction". Good luck friend and I'll be watching. :)

I’m glad to hear you’re ”staying the course” with your rebuild friend, @Tigerman had a similar task when he rebuilt his after a rollover. I’m a labeler more so than a picture taker when it comes to tasks like yours, it seems we already let technology help too much. As far as colors go I really don’t see a need to change the color of that donor tub. 😉

Well good for you then. Having help close by is a huge benefit! I look forward to following your build....or uh "reconstruction". Good luck friend and I'll be watching. :)
Following this thread is kind of like finding an old album you used to listen to twenty years ago. It may still be alright, but it's time has passed. It wouldn't surprise me if most don't believe I'll ever finish this thing. I wouldn't fault 'em one iota for thinking that, either. The evidence would suggest as much...🙄

• Wow
Reactions: Vasq
Transferring the tub over isn't nearly as hard as cutting out old rusted metal and repairing it. If you can sit them side by side, with space to work, it makes the job a lot easier. I didn't do this when I did one years ago and it was surprising how much I had to think about the orientation of parts pulled off, relative to where I had to put them back. My brain just isn't wired to do that easily! o_O
It's a lot of work, to be sure, but none of it is very difficult. They designed these to be built at a rapid pace and I found that the various clips and plugs and things help you layout where everything is located. The dash is the toughest part, by far.

My one piece of advice to you, Mark. Give yourself an aggressive deadline to get the swap done. If you come at this like you've come at the rest of your TJ project, I fear you'll forget where things go and how it was put together. I'm doing mine in about 2.5 months and I find myself scratching my head and wishing I had taken better pictures. I've been working on it like a second job, too. Nearly every day I get a couple hours in, and pulling 8, 10, sometimes 12 hours on Saturday and Sunday. Of course, I'm doing more than just a frame swap, but I'd still plan on 2 months, unless you take a couple of weeks off work and just attack it.
Both of you have touched on something that I have worried about on past projects, but found I've done pretty well with. I once had an '80 Ford Fairmont wagon in the garage that I had stripped down to an empty shell. No suspension, drivetrain, etc. There it sat for two and half years, with the new Mustang GT suspension parts and whatnot still in the boxes, inside the car (sounds just like my TJ!). Anyways, one summer, I decided enough was enough, and had the car completed and back on the road as a daily driver, having only misplaced one motor mount bolt, which I later located after having already replaced it.

Yes, the TJ is far more "busy" (wiring, especially) than anything else I've worked on, but I'm not really intimidated by it. As Mike pointed out, it's a lot of work, but not difficult. I will also be using @Vasq's TJ for reference material, should I find myself lost or confused. Also, I like the deadline aspect, Mike, but not for fear of forgetting as much as fear of losing interest. I have other projects waiting in the wings, and sometimes that's a distraction.

Thanks so much for the advice, guys. I do appreciate it! 🙂

1619463094715.png