98 SE won't start

Cbentz

I recently traded an old pick up for a 98 Jeep Wrangler SE. I really wanted a project to work on with my dad and I got just that. The guy I got it from said it was running when he purchased it but was to big of a project for him. After finally getting it home the Jeep turns over but won't fire. I put a new distributor cap, plugs, ignition coil, battery and crank position sensor. But still nothing. I can hear the fuel pump engage but I'm still not getting it to fire. Please help

Check out this thread: Jeep Wrangler TJ won't start? Read this!

First you need to determine if you're getting fuel and spark. Take all the spark plugs out (while still attached to the wires) and have someone turn it over. See if all the plugs are getting spark.

As for the fuel, get a fuel pressure gauge and see if you're getting fuel pressure at the Schrader valve on the fuel rail.

Reactions: StG58
My crankshaft position sensor randomly went out with no warnings. It wouldn’t let it start. If everything checks out good it’s probably something electrical like this.

I replaced the crankshaft position sensor and sprayed a little starting fluid still nothing. I don't think it's getting spark from somewhere. Is there anything else electrical I can check somewhere?

With the spark plugs plugged in but not screwed in, do you see the plugs firing? Are the proper wires going to the proper cylingers? Timing?

Once you can verify fuel delivery and spark, check your compression.

I have verified that I have spark, fuel pressure is at 45 psi, Cam and crank sensors checked out good. The ASD relay is clicking and the fuel pump is good and working when I turn the key on. I was working my way back to the PCM when I decided to give it to my Mechanic to see what he could find. The only thing I did not check was the O2 sensors. A bad one could give false readings to the PCM which might cause the no start. My engine did fire and run for about 10 minutes and then it started to miss. I shut it off and then it would not start again. I am curious to find out what you find out is wrong with yours. I did download the FSM and I was doing all the test, but I gave up and gave it to the professionals.
Good luck.

I have verified that I have spark, fuel pressure is at 45 psi, Cam and crank sensors checked out good. The ASD relay is clicking and the fuel pump is good and working when I turn the key on. I was working my way back to the PCM when I decided to give it to my Mechanic to see what he could find. The only thing I did not check was the O2 sensors. A bad one could give false readings to the PCM which might cause the no start. My engine did fire and run for about 10 minutes and then it started to miss. I shut it off and then it would not start again. I am curious to find out what you find out is wrong with yours. I did download the FSM and I was doing all the test, but I gave up and gave it to the professionals.
Good luck.
Is there any way you can let me know what you find out?

Yes I have 45 psi fuel at the fuel rail and spark. My battery was measuring 12.39 but that was after cranking for awhile before I put a charger on it. The battery is one year old. I was getting 12.39 at the coil on the hot leg and 0 volts on the trigger. My cam and crank sensors both are good. The engine is brand new and started on the first try ran for about 10 minutes and then started to miss. I shut it down and then it would crank but would not start. The distributor is set at TDC on the compression stroke. The ASD relay is clicking. My compression is at 120-125 on all cylinders.

Last edited:
Yes I have 45 psi fuel at the fuel rail and spark. My battery was measuring 12.39 but that was after cranking for awhile before I put a charger on it. The battery is one year old. I was getting 12.39 at the coil on the hot leg and 0 volts on the trigger. My cam and crank sensors both are good. The engine is brand new and started on the first try ran for about 10 minutes and then started to miss. I shut it down and then it would crank but would not start. The distributor is set at TDC on the compression stroke. The ASD relay is clicking. My compression is at 120-125 on all cylinders.
No trigger voltage from cam sensor to coil? I'd start there

According to the FSM I am suppose to have 12 volts at the hot leg from the Cam sensor to the coil and 0 volts on the trigger leg. I have that.

It is likely running fine , the 4 cylinders are just really slow.

Sorry , bad joke.

Good luck on it man.

• Haha
Reactions: Igoo65