Backspacing and Spare Tire Snubbers

jsurles

Hello,

So I recently updated my gambler wheels running 30x9.5x15's, to running 03-05 Moabs. The Moabs with 245/25/r16's seem to have more backspacing (about 1/2" more) than the old rims.

They look GREAT.

Putting the spare on the back, and I've got that gap between the tire and the snubbers. I started jacking around with hockey pucks, and pvc, and any kind of solution I read online..when it occurred to me that certainly the snubbers on an 03-05 rubicon would have snubbers to accommodate the difference in backspacing? If I am, in fact, not crazy.. why can't I find these parts? :)

Cut some PVC, paint it black, get some longer bolts and bolt the PVC between the snubbers and the tailgate. Done! and will look good.

it occurred to me that certainly the snubbers on an 03-05 rubicon would have snubbers to accommodate the difference in backspacing? If I am, in fact, not crazy.. why can't I find these parts? :)
I want to say the snubbers on your 99 aren't in the same location as the snubbers on a 03-05. Also, tire size will affect whether they touch properly. Better off just adjusting the ones you got.

Cut some PVC, paint it black, get some longer bolts and bolt the PVC between the snubbers and the tailgate. Done! and will look good.
I know this thread is a little old, but what size is the snubber screw? It seems like most bolt/screws on TJ/LJ are SAE but when I tried to match this at home depot, it looks like a M6.

I know this thread is a little old, but what size is the snubber screw? It seems like most bolt/screws on TJ/LJ are SAE but when I tried to match this at home depot, it looks like a M6.
My 2006 has the three snubber setup with M6 threads

So where do people find longer M6 screws? Maximum length at HD seems to be around 2”
I had to order them off eBay, couldn’t find them locally. I had a big gap to fill

EB7F42D7-21FE-4411-B5ED-120C35A13228.jpeg

There are 2 sizes of snubbers available. But one is just a tiny bit taller than the other.

If you need a little more height, consider import car muffler hangers from Amazon. Some are almost exactly the same footprint, have a hole in the middle and are rubber so they won't damage your tailage.