98 TJ bump steer diagnosis

AZ2CO98tj

i have a 98tj, 4'' currie mid arm kit, with bump steer.... i know theres a ton of threads and i have read them all! just looking for secific advice on MY setup. thanks!

i believe the drop bracket for the adjustable trac bar is my issue but i would like help as i don't want to go shotgunning parts to fix the issue.
the image obviously is not my jeep but the measurements ARE for my current set up on my rig.
My concern is a drop pitman arm will not realign my steering geometry to where it should be. Would a tie rod flip kit installed on ONLY the passenger upper help bring my geometry back to spec or is that a bad idea?
any help suggestions would be greatly appreciated. can take pictures of my actual setup later tonight if that helps

factory pitman arm
rough country adj trac bar with mount bracket

ce-9800h is the currie kit that the feller sold me. probably not a mid arm just what he told me. only problem is i do not have the factory trac bar as the aftermarket was installed before i purchased the rig.

i have a 98tj, 4'' currie mid arm kit, with bump steer.... i know theres a ton of threads and i have read them all! just looking for secific advice on MY setup. thanks!

i believe the drop bracket for the adjustable trac bar is my issue but i would like help as i don't want to go shotgunning parts to fix the issue.
the image obviously is not my jeep but the measurements ARE for my current set up on my rig.
My concern is a drop pitman arm will not realign my steering geometry to where it should be. Would a tie rod flip kit installed on ONLY the passenger upper help bring my geometry back to spec or is that a bad idea?

What side is the track bar drop bracket on, passenger or driver's side? A track bar drop bracket is seldom a good idea however, no matter what side it's on.

I've never seen a tie rod flip kit on the passenger side.

And your photo is not showing up, please repost it.

Last edited:
Show us a picture of the front steering linkage and track bar from straight on the front of the vehicle. Has the bracket messed up the stock bracket on the frame?

Metalcloak track bar is OK, I run one and I have no bump steer.
Currie is probably the best but is more expensive than the former but will likely last a lifetime. I plan to replace mine in a year or two as needed and will likely go with the currie next round. Sounds like you are on your way to a really nice build.

PS: Your picture isn't showing up for me. However, the upload file function of this site works absolutely amazing.

driver side for the trac bar bracket location

10.jpg

At least for my eyes, that photo was way too small to figure out. But even without being able to see it, a dropped driver's side track bar mount without a corresponding dropped Pitman arm will cause bump steer. But I personally would remove the track bar drop and not install a dropped Pitman arm. Getting rid of that dropped track bar mount will cure your bump steer.

Reactions: xxdabroxx
ordered the metal cloak trac bar. hoping this will help as it mounts up to the factory location on the driver side

ok so im still not having any luck and wife is giving me a deadline to get this thing driving straight or its getting sold.

the new metal cloak trac bar came in and installed flawless. looks great. corrected geometry and we dialed it in to 1/16.
took off the secondary steering stabilizer
the toe is within 1/8 IN and looks to be good
still wandering on its own all over the road and i dont know where else to look. all harware has been torque checked and is good.
PLEASE HELP! here is a pic of the new setup

Take it to a shop with an alignment rack and ask them to tell you what your caster angle is. They should give you a printout once they're done which you can post here. It should be at least least 5 to 5.5 degrees, as close to 6 degrees as possible. Much below that will cause steering wander. They'll verify your toe-in too. I'd call your various 4x4 shops first to see if they have an alignment rack. A common alignment shop is seldom competent with a 4x4 Wrangler.

Reactions: AZ2CO98tj
Jerry is bang on here, the only other thing I noticed is that picture you posted first off (second picture you talked about is missing) looks like it's got a WJ or JK steering setup. Is that I need what you have or is yours the standard TJ y link setup?

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: AZ2CO98tj