98 TJ repair questions

Camhabib

TJ Enthusiast
Bought a 98 Sahara TJ a few months back that needed some TLC. In order to get the thing even moving I first had to fix the cooling system, which leaked like a pasta strainer. Thanks to some great advice and help here, I was able to replaced the radiator, water pump, thermostat, heater core, and hoses (with almost all Mopar). It's been parked in the driveway for a couple months until I had a chance to get the frame checked to see if it was even worth throwing more money into (had to have 1 stuck skid plate bolt taken out). Got word back today, the frame is in great condition, with just a couple rusted body mounts (having those replaced). Going to go ahead and order the rest of the parts now, but had a few questions before I did.

1 - Control arms, shocks, and springs need replacement. Easy enough to find the parts themselves (just going Crown, Rancho, and Moog), but I can't seem to locate any replacement bolts, which I have a feeling I might need given what I've read about them breaking off sometimes. I'm wondering what people have done for new bolts?

2 - Steering is exceptionally loose. Found a nice little writeup, but I'm a bit confused as to exactly what parts I need to order. Best I can tell, I need one each of Moog ES3096L, ES2079S, DS1312, and DS1430, as well as a stabilizer of my choice (thinking Rancho RS5000). Any additional parts needed for this job?

3 - Brakes are crap. Pedal has some "squish" to it, and the Jeep just doesn't stop well. I think I'm going to start with bleeding and replacing the front calipers (they look like junk aftermarket), and perhaps new pads and rotors as well. Rears need new shoes and drums, and the hand brake doesn't seem to really work. Lines have some surface rust on them, but it has ABS, and I haven't been able to find replacement lines for it, or even if it's worth doing right now. Thoughts on how to approach this?

4 - As I posted before, Jeep has a hard time on a cold start and the fuel gauge doesn't work super well. It was suggested to me that I replace the fuel pump assembly, or at least the fuel pump and sensor inside. How difficult is getting the tank off, and is it worth just rebuilding the assembly or replacing it entirely for a little bit more?

That's it for now. Jeep also needs quite a bit more stuff, including ball joints, exterior and interior cosmetic work, and a very thorough tune-up, though I feel like I have a good grasp on those at the moment. I'll likely update this thread later with some pictures and more questions as I go through this process. Thanks!

Reactions: TJ Starting
Nice start, and it's great that your frame is in good condition. Which body mounts did you have that were rusted? I'm curious, because I'm working my way through a '97 Sahara and both the center mounts are rusted. I'm also capping my frame and have a mushy brake pedal as well. Seems like our TJs could be brothers!

Nice start, and it's great that your frame is in good condition. Which body mounts did you have that were rusted? I'm curious, because I'm working my way through a '97 Sahara and both the center mounts are rusted. I'm also capping my frame and have a mushy brake pedal as well. Seems like our TJs could be brothers!
It was the center three on the left side. Jeep shop I'm getting the work done at says the center ones are always the ones to go to the point they just stock the parts now. Right side has one bad, but I'm going to hold off on that for a bit. Sounds like we're in very similar boats indeed.

Reactions: RobertJ
Bought a 98 Sahara TJ a few months back that needed some TLC. In order to get the thing even moving I first had to fix the cooling system, which leaked like a pasta strainer. Thanks to some great advice and help here, I was able to replaced the radiator, water pump, thermostat, heater core, and hoses (with almost all Mopar). It's been parked in the driveway for a couple months until I had a chance to get the frame checked to see if it was even worth throwing more money into (had to have 1 stuck skid plate bolt taken out). Got word back today, the frame is in great condition, with just a couple rusted body mounts (having those replaced). Going to go ahead and order the rest of the parts now, but had a few questions before I did.

1 - Control arms, shocks, and springs need replacement. Easy enough to find the parts themselves (just going Crown, Rancho, and Moog), but I can't seem to locate any replacement bolts, which I have a feeling I might need given what I've read about them breaking off sometimes. I'm wondering what people have done for new bolts?

2 - Steering is exceptionally loose. Found a nice little writeup, but I'm a bit confused as to exactly what parts I need to order. Best I can tell, I need one each of Moog ES3096L, ES2079S, DS1312, and DS1430, as well as a stabilizer of my choice (thinking Rancho RS5000). Any additional parts needed for this job?

3 - Brakes are crap. Pedal has some "squish" to it, and the Jeep just doesn't stop well. I think I'm going to start with bleeding and replacing the front calipers (they look like junk aftermarket), and perhaps new pads and rotors as well. Rears need new shoes and drums, and the hand brake doesn't seem to really work. Lines have some surface rust on them, but it has ABS, and I haven't been able to find replacement lines for it, or even if it's worth doing right now. Thoughts on how to approach this?

4 - As I posted before, Jeep has a hard time on a cold start and the fuel gauge doesn't work super well. It was suggested to me that I replace the fuel pump assembly, or at least the fuel pump and sensor inside. How difficult is getting the tank off, and is it worth just rebuilding the assembly or replacing it entirely for a little bit more?

That's it for now. Jeep also needs quite a bit more stuff, including ball joints, exterior and interior cosmetic work, and a very thorough tune-up, though I feel like I have a good grasp on those at the moment. I'll likely update this thread later with some pictures and more questions as I go through this process. Thanks!
I've been replacing worn parts on my '98 since I bought it in February, so I can answer #2 and #4 above.

For steering, I ended up replacing the following:

1. ZJ Passenger Side Tie Rod End & Bar - Moog DS1312
2. ZJ Driver Side Tie Rod End - Moog ES3096L
3. ZJ Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeve - Moog ES2079S
4. Drag Link Tie Rod End - Moog ES3096L
5. Front Track Bar - Moog DS1235
6. Steering Stabilizer - Rancho RS5407

That replaces everything except for the drag link bar and passenger side tie rod end on DS1430, mine was ok.

For the fuel pump, I replaced my assembly completely with Delphi FG1353. Bosch is preferred, but they don't sell the assembly for the older models anymore. It was a fairly straight forward process to drop the tank and replace the whole assembly.

I've been replacing worn parts on my '98 since I bought it in February, so I can answer #2 and #4 above.

That replaces everything except for the drag link bar and passenger side tie rod end on DS1430, mine was ok.

For the fuel pump, I replaced my assembly completely with Delphi FG1353. Bosch is preferred, but they don't sell the assembly for the older models anymore. It was a fairly straight forward process to drop the tank and replace the whole assembly.
Appreciate the reply. I forgot about the track bar and just added that to my order. Have you had any issues with the Delphi one since you installed it?

Bleed the brakes and get a good set of black magic pads...

So this may be a silly question but, bleeding the brakes on an ABS TJ, is it just the standard protocol, aka replace reservoir with fresh fluid, open bleed valves, and pump brake, or is there something else I have to do, especially if I do need to replace calipers?

Just did this on our '99... if you want to do the ZJ upgrade (well worth it for the price) & have all new parts here is the list. (I made the mistake on my first order & missed a couple pieces... this is all of them)

5. Drag Link Bar - Moog DS1430
6. Drag Link Adjustable Sleeve - Moog ES2079S
7.Front Track Bar - Moog DS1235
8. Steering Stabilizer - We went with the Monroe SC2928 Magnum Steering Damper suggested many times on here...

So basically everything above replaces all the front end steering components / & does the ZJ upgrade at the same time... You pick the Steering stabilizer you want (don't think there is a wrong answer - just went with the Monroe based on suggestions here)... Just make sure you order (2) of the Moog- ES2079S Leeves if you want everything new... (one of my mistakes not doing so)...

I think this is a complete list based on everything we just replaced on ours

Yes there is a procedure to bleed the antilock. @mrblaine could probably quote the procedure from the top of his head. I would have to look it up.
So this may be a silly question but, bleeding the brakes on an ABS TJ, is it just the standard protocol, aka replace reservoir with fresh fluid, open bleed valves, and pump brake, or is there something else I have to do, especially if I do need to replace calipers?

Appreciate the reply. I forgot about the track bar and just added that to my order. Have you had any issues with the Delphi one since you installed it?
No, I haven't had any issues so far. I know the reviews are mixed on the Delphi, but I really couldn't find a better option. I haven't had it on very long though, about 4 months.

Any advice on this @mrblaine?

I bought a vacuum bleeder, they work really well. Worth the $. Suck out reservoir fluid and replace, hook up to each wheel in turn and vacuum fluid until you see new fluid. Keep reservoir topped off as you go. Start with right rear wheel and work your way up.

Reactions: KCsTJ

You can go to most local hardware stores (including ACE Hardware) and find all the appropriate bolts. Just make sure they are the right grade. However, if you order new control arms (i.e. Currie, Savvy, and others), often times they include new bolts. Both my Savvy and Currie arms did.

This thread details everything needed in the first post:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/zj-tie-rod-conversion.2373/
That's all you need, nothing more. It's very, very easy to do.

I'm not sure who to recommend for brake lines. I'd defer to @mrblaine on that one. He does so much brake related stuff, that I'm sure he knows of a good supplier for TJ brake lines. It's possible you can still get Mopar ones though, have you looked?

Replace the entire assembly while you're in there, that's what I would do.

I've dropped the fuel tank more times than I can count. It's a job that is made much easier with an ATV jack, trust me on that. It's also helpful to have a second set of hands when lowering and raising the tank, as they can help to guide the evap lines safely out of the way, as well as assist in getting the fuel filler neck back in place when raising the tank.

Not a hard job, just tedious.

Appreciate it guys.

While I'm here, anyone have the part number for the oil pressure sender and a good 32RH filter and gasket?

Another day, another part that needs replacing.

Went to do the ball joints and had to essentially destroy the hub and bolts just to get it off. Need to replace them now and have no idea what with. Any suggestions?

Another day, another part that needs replacing.

Went to do the ball joints and had to essentially destroy the hub and bolts just to get it off. Need to replace them now and have no idea what with. Any suggestions?
If you mean front hub bearing, Timken is oem. If you mean steering knuckle, I would go with junkyard brand, should be plenty and easy to locate

Reactions: Camhabib
If you mean front hub bearing, Timken is oem. If you mean steering knuckle, I would go with junkyard brand, should be plenty and easy to locate
Appreciate it. Knuckle is okay, but hub bearing is toast. I’ve read online some people complaining about Timken quality as of late - anything to worry about?

Appreciate it. Knuckle is okay, but hub bearing is toast. I’ve read online some people complaining about Timken quality as of late - anything to worry about?
I put Timken in my 05 Sport last year with no problems at 101k. They have 10k on them. Installed myself, with front u joints, all 👍 so far.

So one other question (for today). I went to go start my TJ today and did the normal turn the key on (to accessory) and off a few times to prime the fuel pump since I haven’t replaced it yet. On the 3rd or 4th turn, the car went dead. No dash lights, no ignition, nothing. Let it sit for an minute and disconnected the battery and hooked it back up again and it started right up, with the battery meter reading normal.

Sign of a bad ignition switch or potentially something else?