99 TJ brake lights always on bright when lights on

GoGeo

Did a search and could not find anything....

Lights off, brake lights work fine.

Lights on, third brake light goes on. Step on brake pedal and brake lights do not become brighter. It seems to me that brake lights are always on the bright position/third light also stays on.

Directionals/blinkers work fine. Reverse light only on 1 side/have not check bulb.

Turn vehicle off, all lights go off.

I had a grounding issue and when lights were off, step on the brake pedal and the odometer and stereo lights would dim, now that's fixed.

Ideas as to what could be wrong?

Reactions: BrunoPizz97
Did you do any work to the lights recently?

As in, was this the issue when you got the jeep or did you do something and now have this issue?
Step 1 is check all your fuses either way, I cant tell you how many weird problems I've had because some random fuse blew.

Theres fuses behind the glove box and under the hood.

Lights on, third brake light goes on. Step on brake pedal and brake lights do not become brighter. It seems to me that brake lights are always on the bright position/third light also stays on.

Directionals/blinkers work fine. Reverse light only on 1 side/have not check bulb.

I had a grounding issue and when lights were off, step on the brake pedal and the odometer and stereo lights would dim, now that's fixed.

Im having a similar issue but on my TJ I cant use my directorial and when my headlights are off my dash lights illuminate when I apply the brake. I was told to clean the grounding points.

Sounds like your getting feedback thru one of the sockets, most likely a grounding issue again so pull your bulbs and inspect the bulb bases and sockets. Also l would pull the housings and run a tap thru the threads on the body and wire brush the bolts. Make sure every is clean and in order.

I’ve seen this before with the bulb sockets getting Wet and corroded resulting in the lights doing whatever they feel like lol. Tj taillights are horrible I cannot keep water and moisture out of mine.

Having inserted the dual filament tail/brake light bulbs in backwards will cause that exact problem. It's more difficult but not impossible to do.

I've seen plenty of 1157 melt the contacts to the point where the contacts are touching each other...causing one circuit to back feed the other.

Start by pulling the bulbs and making sure the bulb contacts and socket contacts are in good shape.

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I drove the jeep last night and realized that my grounding issue hasn't gone away.

I'll make a video...kinda tough to explain.

Just a guess.... if the bulbs are good when you check them. I'd look at the multifunction switch. I believe it controls everything you mentioned having issues with, ie; headlights, brake lights, high beams, low beams, etc.