99 Tj build

Zackz1997

Supporting Member
Hey, I just joined the forum and thought I should post some pics of my Tj. I bought it about 6 months ago a lot of work had already been done to it. I am in the process of making it more me though so as I continue to add, and do work I'll be posting to my build thread. Here are some of the pics from when I got it. On the right is my twins Yj. I have been working on jeeps for about two years now I started in high school with my brothers Yj. That is what got me into it, and ever since then I wanted a Tj.

IMG_1180.JPG

IMG_1181.JPG

IMG_1182.JPG

IMG_1183.JPG

IMG_1184.JPG

IMG_1185.JPG

IMG_1186.JPG

IMG_1187.JPG

IMG_1188.JPG

IMG_1189.JPG

IMG_1190.JPG

Thanks for the comments everyone. I appreciate it. It's nice knowing that the community on this forum really reaches out. So here is my next upgrade. I was looking on pintrest, and saw a really cool subwoofer setup for the tj built into the seat. I was then like why not im gonna try it. The project took me about 4 days most of the time spent was cutting,sanding, glueing, and then waiting for the subs and amp to come in. All in all not a super difficult project the seat is stil 100% functional. Pros makes a great massage chair, has great sound quality,allows for subs without wasting the already non exsistant trunk space . Cons can be a hard ride for passengers in the rear when on a lengthy drive. However that is not really a problem if you only have one passenger like I usually do. I have the rear seat sitting up most of the time for extra space. But it is great in case someone needs a ride. I just set it down and bang I can now drive two extra passengers. I need to take the finished pics still so I will post those in the morning. I ran the wiring out the sides of the seat and down the side of the jeep respectively to the stereo and the battery. The amp is built into the rear of the back seat and the subs are built into the bottom of the back seat. There is still some foam padding in the seat, but most of it had to be removed. I got the subs and amp on amazon for $200 great deal and they work really well. I used a template created by sirgcal it was pretty spot on.

IMG_1195.JPG

IMG_1198.JPG

IMG_1199.JPG

IMG_1201.JPG

IMG_1202.JPG

IMG_1203.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_1207.JPG

IMG_1208.JPG

IMG_1209.JPG

IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1211.JPG

IMG_1212.JPG

IMG_1213.JPG

IMG_1214.JPG

Reactions: JMT
So here is the finished sub setup. I am also showing the Bedrug I installed. Bedrug is a really really nice product if anyone is debating on getting it. The old carpet in it was pretty nasty so I tore that out then took a few days and laid down truck bedliner. I did this on my brothers yj and loved the outcome. It really seals the floor, and keeps it from Rusting. Plus it takes some rust fear out of ya. You only have to do it once and it will last. Took me a couple hours of removing everything from the jeep the night before then the next day I got to work painting it on. Take your time if you plan on doing it. When painting anything it is always a better idea to take longer and do a good job. Let it dry for 24 hours, and then your good to go. I also added a third brake light. I got pulled over about two months ago, and was told I have to have one so I added it. It looks good was a really easy install, and I plan on adding the brake light that goes inside the spare tire just for extra lights, and the cool factor. Next update will be later today or tomorow morning. I have done a good amount since I got it, and was keeping all the photos as a before and after. I did the same thing with my dads 88 dodge Dakota. That was my first vehicle, and what really got me into working on vehicles as a hobby. Let me know what y'all think!

IMG_1216.JPG

IMG_1217.JPG

IMG_1218.JPG

IMG_1219.JPG

IMG_1220.JPG

IMG_1221.JPG

IMG_1222.JPG

IMG_1223.JPG

IMG_1224.JPG

IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG

IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1204.JPG

IMG_1215.JPG

IMG_1231.JPG

Morning Jeepers!! So a little catch up and we are almost at my current jeep condition. A few easy mods I added are the angry grille, and halo head lights. I paid 108 for the grille cover, and 150 for the headlights. All in all really satisfied. It took me about an hour to do the install. Love the look, and the halos have Bluetooth capability so it's really convienet. Pretty much any color out there is available. The headlights are really bright compared to the stock ones.

IMG_1196.JPG IMG_1206.JPG
IMG_1229.JPG

So an update on where I am at. I have been having really bad Bump steer problems, and I am in the process of fixing that. Reading through the forum I saw a few items that caught my eye. The Currie currectlink steering, and the factory pitman arm. I have the stock steering components however it has a dropped pitman arm. I took it into a shop, and they said I needed adjustable lower control arms. As well as an alighnment. I had them do it since it was already there and what they did helped a little, but not a lot.
IMG_1232.JPG
IMG_1234.JPG IMG_1240.JPG
IMG_1238.JPG

IMG_1258.JPG

So I went online bought the CC,the pitman arm, and the fox 2.0 SS. I plan on replacing all of the shocks with the fox 2.0s I did a lot of research and those fit my needs. I don't need reservoirs, and king while has great quality is way out of my budget. The Fox SS is a little overkill, but I want to have a complete fox suspension. Hopefully those parts fix my bump steer problem. I will update as the parts come in. Should be here this week! If anyone has any advise on the alighnmemt I plan on doing that myself. I am also wondering about how to tighten the steering. Currently I feel like I have a lot of play in my steering wheel, and I am hoping to make it more stiff if that makes sense. Thanks for the help, and have a great day!

Last edited:
Reactions: GrzzlyTJ
To get rid of the bump steer, you need to get your drag link and track bar parallel. Right now, from the picture you posted, its not. Removing the dropped pitman arm should help. You might also need a track bar relocation bracket.

To correct the loose steering,1'st make sure your alignement is spot on. Toe out can make a vehicle feel "twitchy" and loose. Then, work your way back from the tires, and look for slop in the pivot ends. If they are all tight, then look at the steering box.

To get rid of the bump steer, you need to get your drag link and track bar parallel. Right now, from the picture you posted, its not. Removing the dropped pitman arm should help. You might also need a track bar relocation bracket.

To correct the loose steering,1'st make sure your alignement is spot on. Toe out can make a vehicle feel "twitchy" and loose. Then, work your way back from the tires, and look for slop in the pivot ends. If they are all tight, then look at the steering box.

Thanks for the input! Hopefully the pitman arm will assist with the track bar and drag link alighnmemt. Once I get the parts in and installed I will move to the steering.

Last edited:
I have an idea that I want to eventually do for overlanding I don't know how much it will cost, but the idea is to take the rear end of a truck separate it from the cab frame and all. Build it up, beef up the axle and suspension. Throw on matching tires as well as an extra spare. Use the fuel tank on the truck as an extra fuel cell, and kinda go all out with it. That will take me probably a long time, and the budget is currently unknown. Just wanna know what y'all think, Or if anyone has any other ideas.

I have an idea that I want to eventually do for overlanding I don't know how much it will cost, but the idea is to take the rear end of a truck separate it from the cab frame and all. Build it up, beef up the axle and suspension. Throw on matching tires as well as an extra spare. Use the fuel tank on the truck as an extra fuel cell, and kinda go all out with it. That will take me probably a long time, and the budget is currently unknown. Just wanna know what y'all think, Or if anyone has any other ideas.
There are a lot of TJ owners that have built some sweet trailers. @bobthetj03 & @prodd are a couple of nice ones that pop to mind. Check out their set ups.

Reactions: Zackz1997