99 TJ Metallic Intermittent Rattling

PETERL617

Hi,

I am new here, I have a 99 TJ, Navy Green/ Tan interior, 35k miles, bought last year and use in summer. Runs great no issues except this. It only happens after driving for 30-40 minutes, and usually on hot days. Mid trip a metal rattling starts, sounds like under the hood. People that hear it say its the fan,but I've looked and its I dont see any wear marks that the fan is hitting. The noise usually happens on the weekend so no shops are open to drive to. The noise does accelerate as I do and when I go in park it stops. Sometimes if I hit the gas and shift into a higher gear the noise stops as the gear shifts. Any idea on what this can be? Its super loud and sounds like the fan is hitting something, but since the noise goes away when the gears shift, usually, sometimes it never stops till I get home. After an hour or so once the car cools down its back to normal with no noise.

IMG-1860.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: DetroitTJ
It could be the fan, or possibly even the catalytic convertors slowly falling apart on the inside.

Thanks. I am not mechanically inclined, these possibilities would not happen all the time? It’s happens only after driving for a long time, and goes away sometimes once the car shifts into a higher gear going faster.

I honestly don't know and this is a shot in the dark, but check the heat shield above your exhaust. This can cause a loud rattling noise if it gets loose.

I had a rattling that sounded like two mason jars being hit together that was intermittent, turned out to the the two u-joints on the cardan joint on my front drive shaft.