99 TJ OEM Brake Light Issue

Tripbus

Recently noticed that my brake lights are not working when I depress the brake. When the lights are on, they illuminate, but do not brighten when brakes are applied. They do, however, brighten when turn signal is engaged. Any ideas what might be the issue and how to fix? Additionally, 3rd brake light is not working for reference.

Appreciate any insight on how to resolve issue.

Reactions: AaronPaul
Check Fuse #2 (20A) in the fuse block behind the glove compartment, verify voltage in on Pink/DarkBlue wire at pin 5 of connector for the brake light switch and voltage out on White/Tan wire at pin 6 of connector at brake light switch when brake pedal is depressed.

You can download a copy of the Factory Service Manual in PDF from the forums TJ Resources to assist in troubleshooting.
Look at Section 8W-51-4 for the brake light wiring circuit.

https://wranglertjforum.com/attachments/1999-tj-service-manual-pdf.14034/

Recently noticed that my brake lights are not working when I depress the brake. When the lights are on, they illuminate, but do not brighten when brakes are applied. They do, however, brighten when turn signal is engaged. Any ideas what might be the issue and how to fix? Additionally, 3rd brake light is not working for reference.

Appreciate any insight on how to resolve issue.

Look at the upper part of the brake pedal and find the switch. It may have come unplugged or knocked off the bracket.

There is a fuse in the glove box that controls them, check that as well

Thanks for the prompt responses. Problem has been resolved. Moved the hazard switch back and forth several times and now they work when brake is depressed. 3rd brake light still out, but that may be a bulb issue.