A Beginners Guide to Lifting Your Jeep Wrangler TJ

The vibration is likely due to the pinion angle. You either need to lower the transfer case a bit or add an MML (motor mount lift). I'd do the latter first.

If you add a 1" MML, you'll want to add a 1" body lift as well ideally.
Yes, I have a 1.25 BL & a 1” MM lift. Wobble and vibrations aren’t crazy, so I’ll try to lower my TC a bit and see if that helps, otherwise real happy with the lift and new tires.

Thank

Yes, I have a 1.25 BL & a 1” MM lift. Wobble and vibrations aren’t crazy, so I’ll try to lower my TC a bit and see if that helps, otherwise real happy with the lift and new tires.

Thank

Yep, that would be my next step as well.

Glad you're liking it though :)

This is exactly what I was looking for, for super noobs like me it be amazing if you could add a. It more of supplementary parts that help the suspension...

Also Im struggling finding where to spend my money and where to save it, as dar as suspension upgrades go. It be amazing if you could make a list of things that are top priority for Spending and those where you can save a bit of money, as well as where to prioritize and install first for those of us who can't afford to put everything in one go.

Either way amazing post thanks everyone for all your collective knowledge 😁 ans after this post I'm definitely getting Ranchos, what's the proper length I should get to get around 50/50 upper lower travel for a 3"-3.5" lift plus 1.25" bl? Yeah I read that upper travel thread, pure gold ans got me out of the LCOG all down travel mentality... And what's a good match as far as springs go?

Reactions: ScottCO
This is exactly what I was looking for, for super noobs like me it be amazing if you could add a. It more of supplementary parts that help the suspension...

Also Im struggling finding where to spend my money and where to save it, as dar as suspension upgrades go. It be amazing if you could make a list of things that are top priority for Spending and those where you can save a bit of money, as well as where to prioritize and install first for those of us who can't afford to put everything in one go.

Either way amazing post thanks everyone for all your collective knowledge 😁 ans after this post I'm definitely getting Ranchos, what's the proper length I should get to get around 50/50 upper lower travel for a 3"-3.5" lift plus 1.25" bl? Yeah I read that upper travel thread, pure gold ans got me out of the LCOG all down travel mentality... And what's a good match as far as springs go?

The first and most important things to decide are what you want to do with the Jeep. Is it just for show and will only see paved roads? Do you intend to turn it into a serious, capable crawler?

Next, what size tire do you want to run? Don't say 33" if you think you might eventually go to 35". That's a gigantic waste of money, and I can tell you from first hand experience it's cheaper to do it all right the first time.

There is no wrong answer whatsoever, but you need to think long and hard about what your end goal is, because doing things over (which is easy to do if you don't plan it right) is very expensive, time consuming, and wasteful.

Reactions: reddvltj
Yep, that would be my next step as well.

Glad you're liking it though :)

I read a post indicating that replacing the stock rear top control arms with adjustable arms can help in adjusting the pinion angle. I am now wondering if this might be better than a transfer case drop. Does anyone have any suggestion on what would be best?

I don't think that's an area you want to save money at lol, but with that lift I've heard a few people saying that a motor mount lift will help.
I currently have 1” JKS MM spacers and JKS front and rear adjustable track bars. I’m getting a wobble as I take off in first and a vibration on 2nd. I am also feeling a slight roughness at over 50 mph. I’m a first time Jeep owner and not sure if this normal.

I’m not real crazy about a TC drop, so I’m thinking rather go with the rear adjustable control arms or biting the bullet and going with the SYE & DC drive shaft.

I read a post indicating that replacing the stock rear top control arms with adjustable arms can help in adjusting the pinion angle. I am now wondering if this might be better than a transfer case drop. Does anyone have any suggestion on what would be best?

The best bet is adjustable control arms and a SYE / DC driveshaft combo.

Is there an easy way to identify the lift in a Jeep by looking at it? My Jeep had a lift installed by a p/o and other than the Rough Country sticker that was on the Jeep I have no clue what I'm working with.

Is there an easy way to identify the lift in a Jeep by looking at it? My Jeep had a lift installed by a p/o and other than the Rough Country sticker that was on the Jeep I have no clue what I'm working with.

For your purposes, disregard the specific kit and instead look at the components. Measure the springs at their existing ride height while parked. Look at the shocks, control arms, track bars, steering, transfer case skid, etc. Starting a new thread and posting pics will allow us to see what you have.

For your purposes, disregard the specific kit and instead look at the components. Measure the springs at their existing ride height while parked. Look at the shocks, control arms, track bars, steering, transfer case skid, etc. Starting a new thread and posting pics will allow us to see what you have.

Cool thanks for the info! I might do that later this week. The plan is to replace the entire lift with something brand new, but for now it would still be nice to know what I have.

Reactions: jjvw
This has helped and made a lot more stuff clearer for me, thanks, but I have a question. I want to run 37s in the future but id go 35 before that, I have a 3 inch skyjacker suspension lift and am gonna do a 1" M.O.R.E. Body lift and Highline fenders, Im told I could drop and inch(of suspension) and go highlines. What would I gain by dropping an inch?

This has helped and made a lot more stuff clearer for me, thanks, but I have a question. I want to run 37s in the future but id go 35 before that, I have a 3 inch skyjacker suspension lift and am gonna do a 1" M.O.R.E. Body lift and Highline fenders, Im told I could drop and inch(of suspension) and go highlines. What would I gain by dropping an inch?

Are you running 37s for function or fashion? Either way, it is worth the research to study up on how well stock axles, specifically the ball joint yokes, stand up to 37s.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Are you running 37s for function or fashion? Either way, it is worth the research to study up on how well stock axles, specifically the ball joint yokes, stand up to 37s.
NEVER would I go tire size for fashion, and I haven't fully decided if id actually will go 37s, 35s for sure, and i have dana 44 in the rear and would go 4 in the front with built axle shafts, joints, etc.

NEVER would I go tire size for fashion, and I haven't fully decided if id actually will go 37s, 35s for sure, and i have dana 44 in the rear and would go 4 in the front with built axle shafts, joints, etc.

Well good. Figure out how to strengthen the ring around the ball joints on the inner C's. :)

And since you are building for function rather than fashion, start thinking about overall suspension travel and how tire size can determine how much up travel you will end up with. A 2" spring lift, 1" body lift, highlines and 37s do not add up to a well balanced suspension. 33s are more appropriate for what you describe.