A Beginners Guide to Lifting Your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Take a moment to see what others say about the OME Nitrocharger Sport shocks. At this point in time, I don't see any reason to buy OME as a kit. And the springs are only uniquely valuable if you understand spring rates and lengths to find tune the ride height.

Take a moment to see what others say about the OME Nitrocharger Sport shocks. At this point in time, I don't see any reason to buy OME as a kit. And the springs are only uniquely valuable if you understand spring rates and lengths to find tune the ride height.

I dug around and the consensus seems to be they are very harsh. I need to do more research. My primary goal is to replace worn suspension parts with a small lift to maybe run a 32-33" tire. I want to retain decent ride quality though since my wife and daughter will be riding along.

... My primary goal is to replace worn suspension parts with a small lift to maybe run a 32-33" tire. I want to retain decent ride quality though since my wife and daughter will be riding along.

Keep in mind that a "small" lift for 33s is going to be approaching a total of 4".

The ride quality comes overwhelmingly from the shocks and tire pressure.

Keep in mind that a "small" lift for 33s is going to be approaching a total of 4".

The ride quality comes overwhelmingly from the shocks and tire pressure.

Right on. I will keep doing research. I don't want to bog this thread down with my noob chatter. I am glad I found it though because I was originally looking at one of those $300 lifts.

Very informative thread. I have 33s on a 2.5 but no body lift which has never been an issue. Y'all have me wondering if I need to put one on. Perhaps I don't go offroad as hardcore as your guys do as it has never once rubbed. :unsure:

Picture of rear clearence
20190902_153105.jpg

Picture of front clearence

20190902_160839.jpg

Okay,
Bought a 97 TJ w 2.5l engine back in June. I have taken care of all the leaks and other issues and now I am looking at upgrading the suspension. I have read this thread back and forth more then once and still have a couple questions.
Jeep has 173,000 miles and a 2" Budget Boot under it and looks like it could be the original shocks and springs.
I really like the way it looks with the 31x10.5's on it and it is a good height for my 5 year old to climb up the rear tire in the back seat. I plan on trying to keep the stock look with bumpers and to also help keep the weight down for the small engine. Jeep will be used most of the time on asphalt or loose gravel on back roads, playing in the show and mud. Nothing real extreme and not interested in increasing tire size for a couple years.
Here is my questions:
1: How much difference will I notice between upgrading to better stock size shocks and springs and keeping the BB in place vs removing the BB and going to a 2" lift? (Been looking at the OME Springs and Rancho Shocks)

2: Since I have the 4 banger engine and keeping the bumpers stock, should I go with the light or heavy shock/spring weight?
Thanks,
Kilo

Okay,
Bought a 97 TJ w 2.5l engine back in June. I have taken care of all the leaks and other issues and now I am looking at upgrading the suspension. I have read this thread back and forth more then once and still have a couple questions.
Jeep has 173,000 miles and a 2" Budget Boot under it and looks like it could be the original shocks and springs.
I really like the way it looks with the 31x10.5's on it and it is a good height for my 5 year old to climb up the rear tire in the back seat. I plan on trying to keep the stock look with bumpers and to also help keep the weight down for the small engine. Jeep will be used most of the time on asphalt or loose gravel on back roads, playing in the show and mud. Nothing real extreme and not interested in increasing tire size for a couple years.
Here is my questions:
1: How much difference will I notice between upgrading to better stock size shocks and springs and keeping the BB in place vs removing the BB and going to a 2" lift? (Been looking at the OME Springs and Rancho Shocks)

2: Since I have the 4 banger engine and keeping the bumpers stock, should I go with the light or heavy shock/spring weight?
Thanks,
Kilo

1: If you are purchasing springs anyway you might as well get the 2" lift springs with corresponding shocks. Be careful of the Ranchos. They tend to run longer than they advertise for, so you might opt for their 0-2" lift shocks and not the 2.5-3.0" ones.
2: Do you foresee a winch up front in the future? If so, get the heavies(2933's) up front and the medium duty(2941's) for the rear.

Reactions: Alex01
2: Do you foresee a winch up front in the future? If so, get the heavies(2933's) up front and the medium duty(2941's) for the rear.
Bobthetj03, Thank you for your reply.

At this time there is no plan for a winch unless I see a great price on this site, craigslist or FB.

I have read on here where people have removed 2" BB and put a 2" suspension lift and have lost clearance. Is that normal?
Here is a photo of Day one of the Jeep,

jeep day 1.jpg

Bobthetj03, Thank you for your reply.

At this time there is no plan for a winch unless I see a great price on this site, craigslist or FB.

I have read on here where people have removed 2" BB and put a 2" suspension lift and have lost clearance. Is that normal?
Here is a photo of Day one of the Jeep,

View attachment 114879

Guess it depends on the weight of the jeep and the spring rate and length of the springs. I would think that a 4 banger and no winch on factory bumpers would have no problem getting the full 2" of lift from a 2" lift spring. I installed a 2.5" OME lift on mine years ago, with a winch up front and the 4.0L and netted exactly 2.5" of lift.

Reactions: Kilo Juliet
tired of searching - what's the drop on a std oem pitman arm - 2006 lj?
Mine seems to measure between 3" and 3.5"

2"

What are you trying to do?
thanks......and crap, yet another thing the previous owner didn't do correctly. I'm trying to correct everything the previous owner did when they installed some sort of makeshift lift (they sure spent bucks on stereo equipment tho!) I've added adjustable track bars front and rear to straighten things out, got rid of the springs and 3" block in the front and swapped in Nth 4.5", new control arms, getting new bumpstop material, rear spring relocators to straighten out the spring, rear shock lower relocators to get the shocks away from the spring perchs, looking for upper relocators as well, the pass side is rusted out by 1 of the mounting holes and they had large washers in place, etc - probably find more as I go along

Hi Chris. I have A 06 Rubicon TJ and want to lift my Jeep enough to look good and perform well on and off road. I read your post and would like to go with Currie brand, but is this Lift more than I need considering that I live in the Midwest and don’t have any serious terrain where I will be riding off road. Currently I believe the previous owner put 3“ spacers on my Jeep and since I am new to the Jeep world, not sure if a entire Jeep lift kit is best for me, or just go with the Rancho shocks you like so much? The most important part of the lift project is looks, along with a very comfortable ride on and off road.
Thanks,
Steve

1DD6A9E6-15C7-4AE1-8AC9-ADCFBD80EC57.jpeg

212E8DF3-24E6-4A5D-923D-B2A78FC26041.jpeg