A Beginners Guide to Lifting Your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Hi Chris. I have A 06 Rubicon TJ and want to lift my Jeep enough to look good and perform well on and off road. I read your post and would like to go with Currie brand, but is this Lift more than I need considering that I live in the Midwest and don’t have any serious terrain where I will be riding off road. Currently I believe the previous owner put 3“ spacers on my Jeep and since I am new to the Jeep world, not sure if a entire Jeep lift kit is best for me, or just go with the Rancho shocks you like so much? The most important part of the lift project is looks, along with a very comfortable ride on and off road.
Thanks,
Steve

View attachment 131230

View attachment 131231
Shocks control ride quality. For your purposes, just get some Rancho 5000x shocks (55239/55241).

Then See what else is going on under your rig. Is there a TCase drop? What about your front trackbar? Does it have a drop pitman arm? Fix anything wrong

Shocks control ride quality. For your purposes, just get some Rancho 5000x shocks (55239/55241).

Then See what else is going on under your rig. Is there a TCase drop? What about your front trackbar? Does it have a drop pitman arm? Fix anything wrong
I am not sure what else is below as I am new to the Jeep world. Although I don’t think there are any TCase drops from what I can tell. Also, will the Rancho Shocks work regardless of the size of the lift? That may be a dumb question but I’m learning each day :).

Thanks

I am not sure what else is below as I am new to the Jeep world. Although I don’t think there are any TCase drops from what I can tell. Also, will the Rancho Shocks work regardless of the size of the lift? That may be a dumb question but I’m learning each day :).

Thanks
You'll likely want the Rancho rs5000x shocks in the 0-2" configuration. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01963XI50/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Thank you. I will give that a try. Are you aware of any good feeds on replacing the rear shocks?
I've always had good luck with supporting the jeep by the frame and simply letting the suspension droop. (Shocks disconnected) Disconnecting the rear sway bar will give you a bit more flex if needed.

Reactions: ScottCO
I've always had good luck with supporting the jeep by the frame and simply letting the suspension droop. (Shocks disconnected) Disconnecting the rear sway bar will give you a bit more flex if needed.
Thank you. I hear the top bolts of the old shock are difficult to get off due to rust. The. With enough pressure the bolts break off. Someone had a good idea by spraying pPB blaster through a multi day process and after each spray just micro adjusting the bolt loose.

Reactions: Alex01
Thank you. I hear the top bolts of the old shock are difficult to get off due to rust. The. With enough pressure the bolts break off. Someone had a good idea by spraying pPB blaster through a multi day process and after each spray just micro adjusting the bolt loose.
That's a good plan. I always overlook that step since I'm not in a rust state.

I just noticed I outlined replacing springs above not shocks.....

For shocks it could all be done on the ground. Nothing special needs to be done. (Other than penetrating oil)

Thanks, I do tend to over engineer stuff in my head but I would rather get it right the first time than keep going back and making small corrections (which I usually end up doing anyway). I will probably just install a complete 2.5" kit and see how it goes. I keep looking at the Rancho kit that comes with lower control arms that I was going to replace anyway. They also have a kit with the pitman arm and end links too which is why I was questioning it. I need new end links anyway and don't want any kind of steering geometry issues. Thought maybe one of those with the adjustable Rancho rs9000 shocks which have always been a good shock. But with all the great reviews the OME lift gets I might just go with that. If I go with the OME I would probably go with their heavy load one since I think it's designed for tj's with 90-180lbs of extra weight. My stock lj with the 4 speed auto is way more than that.

Just curious, did you go with the OME or the Rancho kit??? I can't decide...sigh

Just curious, did you go with the OME or the Rancho kit??? I can't decide...sigh

The common opinion here is to make your own kit, as the OME springs (and spacers, and trackbar relocation) are good - the shocks aren’t anymore.

edit: the shocks are likely fine, they’re just not as nice on a TJ as the previous generation of OME shock.

Reactions: uhgordo
Hey everyone!

I am about to install the 2'' OME Lift in my 2.4 2004 TJ.

Because it is my daily driver and want to do a good job, I would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of

rear upper and lower adjustable control arms, and a DC driveshaft
VS
transfer case drop

Hey everyone!

I am about to install the 2'' OME Lift in my 2.4 2004 TJ.

Because it is my daily driver and want to do a good job, I would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of

rear upper and lower adjustable control arms, and a DC driveshaft
VS
transfer case drop

In my opinion, there is almost never a good reason for a TC drop unless it’s temporary. By dropping the TC you’re giving up a bunch of why we install a lift. The advantages are really only saving money and Sacrificing break over.

Using CAs and a DC shaft - you’re able to leverage all the lift gives you by not sacrificing the break over angle and allowing a future tummy tuck if useful for how you wheel.

Reactions: Apparition
Time for another dumb question: I've had Pro Comp recommended to me for a 2" lift kit. A search here doesn't reveal anything about this brand, however our local balls to the wall 4X4 shop also carries them, but I have yet to be in to talk to them. Probably about a year out from doing this...

Time for another dumb question: I've had Pro Comp recommended to me for a 2" lift kit. A search here doesn't reveal anything about this brand, however our local balls to the wall 4X4 shop also carries them, but I have yet to be in to talk to them. Probably about a year out from doing this...
The springs would likely be fine but their shocks will not be great. The go-to here is the 2-inch OME lift with rancho rs5000x shocks. The no lift version the shocks would likely be best. An OME 2-inch lift is something that could easily be done with basic tools and there is no need to pay a shop. With a 2 inch lift, you may want to look into an adjustable front track bar and a rear track bar bracket but it's not required. Without the track bar, the axle will be about .25" off to one side.

The springs would likely be fine but their shocks will not be great. The go-to here is the 2-inch OME lift with rancho rs5000x shocks. The no lift version the shocks would likely be best. An OME 2-inch lift is something that could easily be done with basic tools and there is no need to pay a shop. With a 2 inch lift, you may want to look into an adjustable front track bar and a rear track bar bracket but it's not required. Without the track bar, the axle will be about .25" off to one side.
And an SYE with attendant driveshaft is my understanding from both this thread and elsewhere...

So the motor mount lift I ASS-U-ME is to change the angle just enough at the rear of the TC?
Correct. A motor mount lift is used to decrease the angle of the rear driveshaft. If you are adding a body lift you might as well toss a motor mount lift into the mix so you don't need to modify the fan shroud. Personally I prefer the aluminum blocks vs the more expensive brown dog mounts because it seems the brown dogs cause vibrations more often then simply adding a spacer under the factory mounts.

Reactions: bobthetj03