A Beginners Guide to Lifting Your Jeep Wrangler TJ

This is really helpful. I was trying to imagine moving the whole drivetrain up or down together, but now I realize it's more like trying to pivot it while keeping it in the same (ish) original line. I'm going for about 2.5" suspension lift and about 1" body lift. My LJ already has 33s and a sad 2" BB. I want to give the tires a little more room to play, but not looking to do anything huge. This will be my DD and occasional trail ride.
2.5” lift on an LJ should be okay with just a MML and BL. But its honestly hard to tell for sure you until you can measure the angles after the lift. Once you get there you can PM me or post up here and we can help with checking for good angles. It is a pivot like you said!

Reactions: rasband
2.5” lift on an LJ should be okay with just a MML and BL. But its honestly hard to tell for sure you until you can measure the angles after the lift. Once you get there you can PM me or post up here and we can help with checking for good angles. It is a pivot like you said!
Thanks! I'm in research mode, and hoping to get into build mode once spring rolls around!

One more question (for now!): I've also started seeing references to some kind of shift linkage upgrade needed in association with a body lift I think? What's the issue there? I've read through 12 of the 18 pages of comments on this thread and most of my questions have been answered as I went along, these are just the ones that are left over.

One more question (for now!): I've also started seeing references to some kind of shift linkage upgrade needed in association with a body lift I think? What's the issue there? I've read through 12 of the 18 pages of comments on this thread and most of my questions have been answered as I went along, these are just the ones that are left over.
Sure, savvy has a cable (it’s the best version) that allows for smooth shifting after a BL or tummy tuck. The stock linkage is clunky and shifts hard even at normal stock height.

Reactions: Alex01
The cable shifters are nice but likely not NEEDED for a BL, no tuck. At least I didn't need one when I installed a BL.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
Hello everyone! I've been reading threads on lifts and I'm almost ready to pull the trigger. It seems like the procomp springs/rancho shocks are the favored combo by most. I want to make sure I've got the right model numbers though. Can someone help me confirm?

Going for a 2in lift, are these the right springs that people are recommending?
And for the shocks, it seems like most recommend the 0-2" set. Rancho lists 0in, 2.5in, and 3.5 in models. The 0in are listed as RS 55128 and RS55240, are these the correct model numbers I should be looking at?

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
Hello everyone! I've been reading threads on lifts and I'm almost ready to pull the trigger. It seems like the procomp springs/rancho shocks are the favored combo by most. I want to make sure I've got the right model numbers though. Can someone help me confirm?

Going for a 2in lift, are these the right springs that people are recommending?
And for the shocks, it seems like most recommend the 0-2" set. Rancho lists 0in, 2.5in, and 3.5 in models. The 0in are listed as RS 55128 and RS55240, are these the correct model numbers I should be looking at?
Yes! Spot on.

At the outset of this thread ProComp didn't really get a mention. Now that was something like 4 years ago and things change - for example OME shocks have changed and this means some who liked them previously are not so keen on the new ones. It may be somewhere in the 18 pages of the thread as things have evolved over time, but what is the logic for the Pro Comp springs over say the OME, is it purely that the OME's are $50 a pair more and there is no material difference?

Last edited:
Hey guys!

So, after installing my new tires & rims (31/10.5r15), after a few weeks I want to be ready to install a 2-2.5” lift kit on my own.

I am going to make a list of everything that I think I’m going to need, so please let me know if I forget anything.
  1. Rancho RS55138 Front Shocks
  2. Rancho RS55240 Rear Shocks
  3. Old Man Emu Springs - 2932 & 2941 or 2933 & 2942 (I am not sure if I want to run light or hard springs yet)
  4. Old Man Emu Track Bar Relocation Bracket - FKWTJ02
  5. Old Man Emu Spacers - OMEJGF10 (Front), OMEWTJPR10 (Rear) (POSSIBLY to correct any rake)

What about bump stops? Are they mandatory for a 2" lift and 31" tires? or not?

What about bump stops? Are they mandatory for a 2" lift and 31" tires? or not?

It's likely - because the limit won't be your tires on 31s, it'll be either your shock body length or some other interference (such as your track bar hitting your tub or crossmember). You really won't 100% know until you cycle your suspension. So dial in the lift, pull the springs and cycle with a tire on for the high side and see where you hit.

Reactions: TJim and Alex01
I know this is an old thread but maybe someone out there could tell me, if I were to put 3” spacers on the front springs to level my 02 tj would I need to use adjustable control arms or would factory be sufficient? Is leveling considered to be lift?
Thanks in advance
Brett

Reactions: TJim
What are the thoughts for running 33 with option of running 35 inch in the future .
Could you run a 3 inch with 1 inch body lift and flat fenders .
I like the idea of minimum lift to keep lower center of gravity and ease of entry .
If you might consider this as an option . What would be necessary to keep it street friendly and most off roading would be sand beach with occasional adventures on fire trails woods . But have to drive 2 to 3 hours .
Thanks in advance

What are the thoughts for running 33 with option of running 35 inch in the future .
I like the idea of minimum lift to keep lower center of gravity and ease of entry .
If you might consider this as an option . What would be necessary to keep it street friendly and most off roading would be sand beach with occasional adventures on fire trails woods . But have to drive 2 to 3 hours .
Thanks in advance
A 3” lift with the 1” body lift would be totally fine for 33s as long as you add the needed bumpstop and compressed shock length. Sounds like the right setup for your style of off road.

Thanks in advance

Honestly, 31s or 33s sound pretty ideal for that kind of wheeling. Once you have a good setup on that, you might not find a need for 35s.

Reactions: rasband
Honestly, 31s or 33s sound pretty ideal for that kind of wheeling. Once you have a good setup on that, you might not find a need for 35s.
X2.
Thanks in advance

But if you're going to lift anyways why not get 4" Currie springs for the 33s and if you move to 35s add a 1.25" body lift down the line. Sye, adjustable control arms, and new driveshaft would be needed more than likely.

Reactions: TJim
Many friends said to just put a 4 inch lift on it but was thinking if stayed with a 3 inch I would be skipping having to mess with drive shafts etc .

sounds like the rancho shocks are the ones . More that likely a 33 is going to be ideal .

In all honesty, I’d leave it stock unless you really want the look or until you surpass its limits.
It does go down the beach well and is easy to get in and out of etc so it is tempting but would like to run little larger tire and for it to sit little higher but want a good decent ride .