A Beginners Guide to Lifting Your Jeep Wrangler TJ

I have a Dana44 rear axle. It's probably fine, but I figured I'd end up with a 5" suspension lift and the high pinion 60 would help reduce the drive shaft angle.

The pinion is also longer on a 60 which shortens the driveshaft.

Let's back up a little, why are you trying to reduce the driveshaft angle?

Reactions: JMT
I don't want to start cutting the body up. I'd rather buy a used buggy than cut my Jeep up. It spends more time on the pavement. No trailer queen here.

It doesn't have to be a trailer queen just because it's heavily modified. Once my LJ build is complete I'm driving it over 4k miles across the country and really have no worries about doing so. That's cut body, 100% custom steering and suspension, 1 ton axles, modified engine, etc.

I think you need to figure out why you want 35s and then work your way back to figure out how you should go about doing so.

Reactions: jjvw
The pinion is also longer on a 60 which shortens the driveshaft.

Let's back up a little, why are you trying to reduce the driveshaft angle?

The 60 does have a longer pinion. I have the super short Tera Flex slip yoke eliminator kit installed so I have a little room to play with.

If I end up with 5" of suspension lift, I'm concerned about rear drive shaft angle. That's why I thought the Pro Rock 60 was a good idea.

It doesn't have to be a trailer queen just because it's heavily modified. Once my LJ build is complete I'm driving it over 4k miles across the country and really have no worries about doing so.

I think you need to figure out why you want 35s and then work your way back to figure out how you should go about doing so.

You're correct, most heavily modified ones end up being trailer queens from what I've seen.

I want 35s because they look cool and provide additional ground clearance.

I haven't planed to. Mainly because that would require a body lift.

Then why are you concerned about the driveline angles? For comparison, mine has a 4" lift plus a raised belly which equates to about 7" of effective lift on a short shafted Rubicon. And then I am running 12" travel shocks in the rear.

How much body lift do I have?

Reactions: Alex01 and JMT
Then why are you concerned about the driveline angles? For comparison, mine has a 4" lift plus a raised belly which equates to about 7" of effective lift on a short shaft Rubicon. And then I am running 12" travel shocks in the rear.

I'm not certain drive shaft angle would be a problem. I just assumed it could be with 5" of suspension lift. The Pro Rock 60 just offered benefits of raising the drive shaft and reducing the angle. I'm also changing my lug pattern with the Reid knuckle kit on the front axle to 5 on 5-1/2" so I have to buy axles anyway, might as well be 60 axle shafts.

I just received my wife's jl rubicon and wanted to do a 2 1/2 lift was thinking about the currie rock jock sport edition, on a rubicon the 4 inch is only 2.5 so that's perfect, prob won't do any real serious off road but still don't want the ride to suffer, any thoughts?? also have been hearing good things on falcon shocks, any thoughts on that also

thanks for your input

#RemoveSKUProduct(s)PriceQty.Total
1CE-9818S
-sport-edition-4-inch-jl-suspension-lift-4-door_80.jpg
RockJock Sport Edition 4-Inch JL Suspension Lift (4-Door)
Shocks: None Selected
Control Arms Front: Johnny Joint Upper Adjustable Arms (CE-9818FUA) [+$279.95]
Control Arms Rear: Johnny Joint Upper Adjustable Arms (CE-9807RUA) [+$329.95]
Antirock Front: None Selected
Antirock Rear: None Selected
Trac Bar Rear: Johnny Joint Trac Bar (CE-9120RJL) [+$319.95]
Edit
$

Sub-Total:$2,609.80
Shipping:TBD
Tax:TBD
Total:$2,609.80

I just received my wife's jl rubicon and wanted to do a 2 1/2 lift was thinking about the currie rock jock sport edition, on a rubicon the 4 inch is only 2.5 so that's perfect, prob won't do any real serious off road but still don't want the ride to suffer, any thoughts?? also have been hearing good things on falcon shocks, any thoughts on that also

thanks for your input

#RemoveSKUProduct(s)PriceQty.Total
1CE-9818SView attachment 88027RockJock Sport Edition 4-Inch JL Suspension Lift (4-Door)
Shocks: None Selected
Control Arms Front: Johnny Joint Upper Adjustable Arms (CE-9818FUA) [+$279.95]
Control Arms Rear: Johnny Joint Upper Adjustable Arms (CE-9807RUA) [+$329.95]
Antirock Front: None Selected
Antirock Rear: None Selected
Trac Bar Rear: Johnny Joint Trac Bar (CE-9120RJL) [+$319.95]
Edit
$

Sub-Total:$2,609.80
Shipping:TBD
Tax:TBD
Total:$2,609.80

Probably won’t get many replies on a TJ forum website in a TJ lift thread. I’d suggest visiting a JL forum website and ask there.

So I went to a local 4 wheel drive shop to get a ballpark estimate of removing my body lift and replacing it with a Currie suspension lift. I know I'll need an SYE, new crankshaft, etc. While discussing this with the sales guy, we talked about shocks. Having read the recommendations of Chris on here and others, I told him I'd like to go with Rancho RS5000X's. He checked on his computer system and said that those were not available to fit with the Currie lift. Is this accurate?

He recommended going with ProComp ES9000's instead. He said they're manufactured in the same factory as the Rancho's and offer a similar ride/performance. Anyone have any experience with these?

Your guy wants to sell you ProComp.

For a 4" spring lift Rancho RS55255 and RS55316 are probably the most appropriate sizes.

Reactions: JMT and Alex01
Ok, questions. I am trying to get my options and prices together. So I am planing on going with a 3inch lift and than 1.25 body lift, then running 33s, actually I already am on the PO's horrid 3" BL. And going to be trying to piece it together. Goals are going to be keeping it under 800.00, putting the money were it counts and also this is gonna be for occasional medium wheeling and beach runs. This is my DD so don't want to be braking to much. Now to the questions. Is a transfer case drop gonna be necessary for the 3" or not. If so how much, like a few washers or more? Springs, trying to figger out these springs rates. I will occasionally have a load of gear or people in the back, so I am looking at the savvy normal spring rate, HD or progressive. Will the HD springs ride rough without added weight or should I not worry about that. Or should I spend the extra money and get progressives or is that money better spent somewhere else, or would the normal ones be fine. Also looking for some decent control arms. Any suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated. Help me put the money were it matters most.

Few other things, do i need a adjustable track bar or will a relocation bracket be fine. Planing on running with Ranchos also.