Would an A/C compressor from a 2001 XJ fit my 98 TJ?

Kevin E

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
I was curious if anyone knows if an A/C compressor from a 2001 cherokee HO 4 liter inline 6 will fit my 4.0 98 Sport? I'm going to take parts off of the Cherokee before we scrap it.

Thanks

To my knowledge, no, it won't fit. There's a lot of stuff in that Cherokee 4.0 that is drastically different than the 4.0 in the TJ, including the accessories.

No problem, I figured it could use one for search engine purposes.

I suspect someone like @mrblaine would know for sure, but I'm very skeptical it would fit.

I was curious if anyone knows if an A/C compressor from a 2001 cherokee HO 4 liter inline 6 will fit my 4.0 98 Sport? I'm going to take parts off of the Cherokee before we scrap it.

Thanks
Rock Auto buyer's guide says yes.

AC fitment.PNG

Reactions: Allstar424
I stand corrected then!

It's likely the compressor that's the same then, and the A/C lines themselves are different I suspect.

For what its worth, (and talking RHD Jeeps) my TJ already had the AC comp removed, but I wanted to for onboard air.
So went and pulled one from an XJ, which was located down below the intake/exhaust, on a bracket which I didn't end up needing.
Went to install on my TJ, up top on the LHS, and found the front two bolts lined up perfectly, the pulley was parallel and correct depth, but the two rear bolts were out. Out by about 2mm.......
No idea why or how, but they were. So I torqued down the front and made a makeshift bracket to hold down the rear. I have a spare belt that can bypass the compressor if anything were to go wrong (although no issues so far)

Not sure what model compressor it is off the top of my head
Edit, its a Sanden U4636