A/C dead on possible purchase

DizJeep

So Chris shot down my White Sahara dreams (really, thanks Chris...I don't need a money pit). Now I'm looking at a 2006 Golden Eagle with almost twice the miles (125K) but 4 fewer years and, hopefully, no rust issues.
This one is a lot more local than the Sahara and I'm hoping to get a hands-on look tomorrow but, the one thing in the listing is that the A/C just blows hot air.
In the event that this is the pretty much worst-case scenario and the compressor has gone kaput, what might I be looking at for options and costs?
I have never done any A/C work other than simple charge-ups so I have no history upon which to judge this situation. Is it possible for a decent wrencher to replace the compressor, accumulator, and condenser (I understand that parallel flow condensers like the ones in the TJ cannot be flushed out and it's best to replace if compressor failed), and then take it in to a shop for purge, charge, and leak check? Looks like these three parts would run in the $300 range.
If I had to just let a shop do it all, am I looking at 5 or 6 hundred or more like $1200? I need to factor this in to my offer (if I make one).

Thanks in advance,
Diz

Reactions: Chris
Chances are if the AC is just blowing hot air, it likely just needs a new compressor. It may just need the system charged, but if that's the case, the real question is why was it leaking to begin with.

Assuming it is the compressor, you're looking at something like $500-$600 for a shop to do for you. It's really a pretty easy job, one I could do myself in a matter of a few hours at most.

There could be other things such as a bad condenser unit, bad lines, etc, but that's rarely ever the case.

Reactions: 94c2500 and DizJeep
So Chris shot down my White Sahara dreams (really, thanks Chris...I don't need a money pit). Now I'm looking at a 2006 Golden Eagle with almost twice the miles (125K) but 4 fewer years and, hopefully, no rust issues.
This one is a lot more local than the Sahara and I'm hoping to get a hands-on look tomorrow but, the one thing in the listing is that the A/C just blows hot air.
In the event that this is the pretty much worst-case scenario and the compressor has gone kaput, what might I be looking at for options and costs?
I have never done any A/C work other than simple charge-ups so I have no history upon which to judge this situation. Is it possible for a decent wrencher to replace the compressor, accumulator, and condenser (I understand that parallel flow condensers like the ones in the TJ cannot be flushed out and it's best to replace if compressor failed), and then take it in to a shop for purge, charge, and leak check? Looks like these three parts would run in the $300 range.
If I had to just let a shop do it all, am I looking at 5 or 6 hundred or more like $1200? I need to factor this in to my offer (if I make one).

Thanks in advance,
Diz

If you want it, ask the dude to take off $600 from the original price.

There could just be no refrigerant left, or yes the Compressor could be gone.

My Jeep once had a hole in the condenser - from I guess road debris - which led to my Jeep blowing hot air.

There's a million things it could be! But if you want it, then there's nothing that can't be fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 94c2500 and DizJeep
An inop a/c that runs but just doesn't blow cold air has likely just lost its refrigerant through a slow leak. An a/c shop can find the leak by running it with a dye that will pinpoint the leak. A/C systems don't normally lose their refrigerant over the years so even if you used an auto parts store refrigerant refill kit, odds are not good that would fix it for long. Not to mention that can't be done when the system is completely empty from a long-term leak.

Just spent $93 to have an AC shop charge my AC and add dye. At minimal do that so you can pinpoint the leak. Could be something as simple as a leaky o-ring or loose fitting.