A/C Leak Test Indication (Possibly Evaporator?)

lrb6805

Die Living
Supporting Member
Hello,
I am finaly attempting to fix the A/C in the 2006 LJ after 2 years and living in Texas. Currently, If I recharge the system, it will blow cold for a couple of days then warm up again. I ran a dye test and can not find any dye leaking inside the engine bay while following all the A/C pipes.

I got a Sniffer and received no alert until I stuck the probe inside the passenger side vent and windshield defroster vent. The passenger side vent lights up immediately on the lowest setting. I believe this is indicating the Evaporator is bad and needs to be replaced (and might as well do the heater core at the same time). Is this a correct assumption?

I have very little knowledge of A/C systems, so if anyone has any input, please feel free to tell me your thoughts. Thanks!

I may have to hunt down a leak in my system. Which sniffer did you get?

And, yes, might as well do both.

Bummer!

I also ordered the Evaporator and Heater Core from “performanceradiators.com”. I saw they were recently recommended as a high quality replacement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I deal with performance radiators a lot with one of the largest collision repair groups. Our return percentage with them is less than 1% on domestic vehicle. When you take into consideration we spend well into 6 figures with them yearly that’s a lot of product we buy from them. On foreign vehicles they are not really worth a crap, especially European models.

In the same boat. Been to 2 different AC shops, and also looked myself, but can not find the leak. Charge lasts about 3 weeks then blows warm again. Doing the heater core too. Fun times!

In the same boat. Been to 2 different AC shops, and also looked myself, but can not find the leak. Charge lasts about 3 weeks then blows warm again. Doing the heater core too. Fun times!
After you're done with yours do you want to fix my ac also :ROFLMAO:

I've had all the parts for 4 months. Just can't find the motivation.

Reactions: JMT
After you're done with yours do you want to fix my ac also :ROFLMAO:

I've had all the parts for 4 months. Just can't find the motivation.

It is a job I'm definitely not looking forward to. Where did you source the evap and heater core? I found the Mopar units, but dang they are pricey!

Reactions: Alex01
It is a job I'm definitely not looking forward to. Where did you source the evap and heater core? I found the Mopar units, but dang they are pricey!
I did not buy the heater core. I'm hoping a back flush will help it out. I have only seen 3 drips of Antifreeze in the cab the whole time I've owned it so I'm crossing my fingers I can get away with not ripping my whole dash out. As far as the A/C parts go I got them off rock auto (non mopar). I figure for the amount of time I use my jeep if the non OEM parts last half the time OEM ones do I should die before they go bad. 😅

I need to go to auto zone and rent the vacuum / gauges for the ac and I'm ready to go.

Reactions: JMT and bobthetj03
I have been fighting a similar issue. I get about two days of cool. Can't see dye anywhere except at the low pressure schrader valve, but I can't tell if it is there because that is where I filled it or the valve is bad. It seems like too much dye in the valve to me even after cleraning it with alcohol I still see dye in there.

I am going to rent a manifold gauge set and vaccuum compressor from a local autoparts store to see if I can text the valve before pulling the dash out. Cross my fingers a new schrader valve could fix it.

It looks like those sniff testers are single use and only good for about 24 hours once you 1st use it.

2019-05-22_12h21_16.jpg

I have been fighting a similar issue. I get about two days of cool. Can't see dye anywhere except at the low pressure schrader valve, but I can't tell if it is there because that is where I filled it or the valve is bad. It seems like too much dye in the valve to me even after cleraning it with alcohol I still see dye in there.

I am going to rent a manifold gauge set and vaccuum compressor from a local autoparts store to see if I can text the valve before pulling the dash out. Cross my fingers a new schrader valve could fix it.

It looks like those sniff testers are single use and only good for about 24 hours once you 1st use it.

View attachment 95173

They aren’t single use. The one i got uses 2 C batteries. They don’t last long because they are constantly sucking in a air sample several times a second and heating it with electricity depending on which sensitivity setting it is on. It took me 2 minutes to find my leak source. You just have to change the batteries often if you get the cheap ones...which shouldnt be bothersome unless A/C repair is your full time job

When you do use one, make sure to use it in a non-windy area and put the tip under the pipes/fittings. If I remember correctly, the refrigerant is heavier than air

They aren’t single use. The one i got uses 2 C batteries. They don’t last long because they are constantly sucking in a air sample several times a second and heating it with electricity depending on which sensitivity setting it is on. It took me 2 minutes to find my leak source. You just have to change the batteries often if you get the cheap ones...which shouldnt be bothersome unless A/C repair is your full time job

When you do use one, make sure to use it in a non-windy area and put the tip under the pipes/fittings. If I remember correctly, the refrigerant is heavier than air

OK, the "rechargeable" makes sense with the batteries, but sensor life is listed as "24 hours", and some include 2 sensors. Makes me think the sensor has to be replaced pretty often.

New sensors seem to be $10-$15 dollars. Just something to keep in mind next time you use it, you may need to buy a sensor for it.

Never mind, I am probably over thinking it. I am thinking 24 hours after you open the sensor it expires, where it is probably 24 hours of use.

we need to have an evap/heater core replacement party. seems like all of us lack the motivation to do it. i know i do.

Head on over and we can get it done. Might as well join on the Rubicon while you're in town. 👍
Ah that woudl be awesome. AC and the Rubicon?

I'm trying to stay away from the Rubicon thread...sucks for me...wheelin Memorial Day though.