A/C loses its charge, can’t find the leak

Schrader valves are cheap and very easy to replace. I replace whenever servicing a system that is suspected of leaking.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Daryl
The schrader valve is what I suspected too. So far, 3 days the ac is holding up but I noted the color (see pic) at the entrance port. When I mentioned it to my mechanic the following day, he said it ‘shows’ there because that’s where he introduced the dye. I watched the process and didn’t see anything come out when the hose was removed. So Blaine, you’ve given me reason to replace when and if the freon escapes, and we don’t find anything else.

View attachment 97437

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your tech should have cleaned that up and ensured his UV light didn't show anything before putting it in service. That way if the Schrader was leaking he would know about it when you come back.

Reactions: fourpointzero
Just to add to this thread, I took the jeep to AC shop #3. Had the system tested, new port valves installed, charged, and dye injected to the system. No leaks were detected. Cross fingers. Weird thing, shop #3 couldn't find any evidence of dye prior, which is strange cause shop #1 and shop #2 said they added dye. I also added several cans of R134A with dye myself last summer. System was completely empty today after going all winter. It sucked not having a defroster to de-fog the windows.

@bonthetj03 I hope those valves fixed your issue. I’ll be watching this thread for your results as well as anyone else who chimes in w their experiences.

So far, mine is still running cold. I checked the temperature w a digital gauge yesterday and it read 43 degrees w the vents on cycle, outside temps @ 88 degrees. Im fine with that, so long as it holds freon.

Will chime back as the week progresses.

I took mine back in Friday to have him look for leaks. He could find none. He said if we lose the Freon again we will replace the valves. Which are sitting in my glove box just in case. He did check both valve ports with water for bubbles and found none. So far it’s still working after a week or so.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
3 weeks in, it's starting to blow warmer and the clutch cycling switch is kicking on/off. It goes back to the AC shop Wednesday.

3 weeks in, it's starting to blow warmer and the clutch cycling switch is kicking on/off. It goes back to the AC shop Wednesday.

I charged mine by weight last fall and it was down on charge by spring.

Found the large shrader valve was leaking so replaced both along with the accumulator since I didn't know how many times the system has went flat.

Multiple passes over the system with the sniffer showed no leaks.

My switch was kicking off at 35psi instead of 25 like it's supposed to. So it was replaced also.

@bobthetj03 I ordered a tube of the leak sealer recommended earlier in this thread to try later if the shrader valves weren't the only issue.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Had a similar problem and it would hold vacuum forever, did the dye thing, did the sniffer thing. Turned out to be an internal leak on the LP switch that did not leak under vacuum or show dye.

Not saying this is anybody's problem here, but on my Dodge Magnum, I had an AC leak that I didn't know about until the summer came, and my AC was hot. When I went to get it checked out, they said it was completely empty, yet it held a steady vacuum. As it turned out, I had a broken motor mount, which I knew I had, but apparently, every time I took off hard enough to make the motor twist more than usual, a little refrigerant would leak. Over the course of time it was empty, but didn't leak when just at idle or any other time other than when the motor twisted.

That was last summer, and with new motor mounts, the AC is still fully charged a year later.

At the very least, it might be worth reving the engine some too, when using dye to find the leak, as it may not leak at idle.

Been over a week now and my AC is still blowing cold. Def has a leak, otherwise I wouldn’t have needed a charge. Still, will chime back when it craps out again.

Still got cold AC, but I dont drive my TJ daily. We injected dye when refilling the system a few weeks ago. Yesterday, I took the jeep out for the day and when I got home poked around the AC system w a light and found where my seepage is. Looks like the condenser hoses, or maybe my condenser. Will have to swing by the mechanic tomorrow to confirm if I in fact need a new one. Maybe one of you can give me a heads-up? I plan on posting a new thread so that I can get some fresh feedback.

7c87a295310c0d07d5946771ce52754a.jpg

Mine was showing signs that it’s getting low again. It wasn’t as cool as it was when freshly filled. I believe by the time we get back from vacation it will be out again. We will see what happens. Very frustrating. Glad you found the cause of yours.

Reactions: fourpointzero
I’d remove your condenser and pressure test it. I had the same problem as you. I’d charge the system would be fine for a week then it would get wormer and not work completely. We looked everywhere for a dye leak as well as a mechanical sniffer and never saw any sign of a leak so I thought it was the evaporator so pulled the dash and pressure tested the evaporator, nothing so put that back together and pulled the compressor and drier, nothing there ether, last I pulled the condenser and pressure tested it, turns out there was a small pin hole on the upper drivers side on the back of the condenser where you couldn’t see it. After replacing this the ac has worked great! I have another jeep that I’ve been building for several months now and the ac didn’t work in it when we bought it. The grill was out of it so figured I’d pressure test the condenser in it as well and sure enough a small pin hole is in it same place opposite side. Hope this helps

8A20A564-FF80-4E63-B5B7-D20CF2FB3F00.jpeg

5F74AE6B-5AE9-4EAE-B3B9-F564FC024299.jpeg

2EBD0BBF-81DE-491B-8FCC-6ECCC150934A.jpeg