A Cleaner 4.0 Oil Change

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
A 32 oz. cup and a utility knife is all you need-

C840CE78-4E85-4E7B-9D84-2DA6CFB5E8FB.jpeg

500C2335-F82C-4359-A950-97717A31AF37.jpeg

@AndyG. Y0u should have seen my last filter change debacle. It was on the 91' XJ. 4.0, so this is legal. First filter change since I got the thing. The damn filter was so old it was skinny as hell (diameter was probably only 2.5") I had no tool to get it off with, and I have 4 tools. Went on the internet and found this video. It's damn funny Chinese ingenuity, but my daughter and I found one that worked. Saved me a trip to the store for a tool I would never need again. I've now watched the video 4 times. I keep watching it just to get a laugh.

Reactions: AndyG
@AndyG. Y0u should have seen my last filter change debacle. It was on the 91' XJ. 4.0, so this is legal. First filter change since I got the thing. The damn filter was so old it was skinny as hell (diameter was probably only 2.5") I had no tool to get it off with, and I have 4 tools. Went on the internet and found this video. It's damn funny Chinese ingenuity, but my daughter and I found one that worked. Saved me a trip to the store for a tool I would never need again. I've now watched the video 4 times. I keep watching it just to get a laugh.

If you look online you’ll see some videos and it will be some guy barefooted squatting down making a table or something with nothing but a knife and a chisel and a corn cob or something, and he will be getting absolutely stunning results.

I’ve pulled a few deusies in my time as well buddy

Boy... SNL skits have gotten weird.

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
As I remove the filter I spin it into a plastic bag. No spilling and it’s easy to do.
I tried it, didn’t help me up at the block and was hard to hang on to.

Boy... SNL skits have gotten weird.
That was pretty good. Creative methods. One is bound to work. I really love a strong knot. However, the trick I learned at my first real job (pennzoil 10 min oil change around 1982) wasn't quite in there (and it works well). Drive a screw driver through the filter with a mallet or hammer and turn :)

That was pretty good. Creative methods. One is bound to work. I really love a strong knot. However, the trick I learned at my first real job (pennzoil 10 min oil change around 1982) wasn't quite in there (and it works well). Drive a screw driver through the filter with a mallet or hammer and turn :)
I think a screw is actually his last method. Stay with him, he’s got 200 methods before that 🤣

Drive a screw driver through the filter with a mallet or hammer and turn :)
That's the way I've resorted to a time or two. However, if it doesn't work, "There you are!"

I think I related this in the "Boneheaded moves" thread, but back when I was a stupid kid, I had an '86 Chevy truck and I'd stupidly tightened the oil filter onto the thing. Time to change, it would NOT come off. Tried everything, finally broke out the hammer and screwdriver. That didn't work either - the can just crumpled and twisted off the filter! There it was!

Had AAA tow it down to the family mechanic. Took him 30 minutes with a hammer and a chisel to beat the base of the filter free. Then he gave me that mechanic's advice that you NEVER want to hear: "Don't you EVER do that again; and if you do, don't bring it here!". Guy was more than slightly annoyed over the situation. I can't say I blame him!

I love the cup actually. I always tried to position the pan under it. Your solution is much better
I stole the idea, saw a guy use something to keep oil off a dirt bike frame.- an oil change that goes fast is fun. I had one go flawless once- til i poured the oil in with the plug out.

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
I stole the idea, saw a guy use something to keep oil off a dirt bike frame.- an oil change that goes fast is fun. I had one go flawless once- til i poured the oil in with the plug out.
Sounds like par for the course. 😂