WTB: 'A' condition defroster vent cover for 05 TJ with Khaki interior

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 05 Rubicon with Khaki interior and I'm looking for an 'A' grade defroster vent cover.
Very hard to find. Further, the design changed on the later TJ and they removed the reinforcement that slows down the grill breaking out the slats. I have repaired several by removing the broken bits of grill, cutting a piece of stainless wire mess to the appropriate shape and then gluing that onto the underside. Your choice to leave it raw or paint it.

Very hard to find. Further, the design changed on the later TJ and they removed the reinforcement that slows down the grill breaking out the slats. I have repaired several by removing the broken bits of grill, cutting a piece of stainless wire mess to the appropriate shape and then gluing that onto the underside. Your choice to leave it raw or paint it.

Yeah, they are hard to find. If it was just the mesh that was missing I'd perform a fix like you suggest. The opening itself if broken (thin surround at the opening).

I too need to repair my defrost vent with wire mesh. Any picture of this repair?
There may be some on here somewhere. I don't think I've seen any however.

The process includes removing the existing grill and its frame. You'll need to melt or cut off the frame. After that then you find what you want to replace it with, cut it to fit and then use epoxy to fasten it to the underside of the trim.

Instead of going this route I bought a part from a wrecking yard that was not a color match and used the SEM coating process to match it to my dash color.

The tread for interior repairs is here: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/interior-maintenance-restoration-and-repair.31951/

My retail is on the last page but there is a lot of great stuff in there for all dash repairs and color matching.

Great information. Thanks!!
Sounds pretty straight forward. I plan to pull mine off and replace the mesh. I'll post pictures of my repair afterward.

Status
Not open for further replies.