A couple of issues

Sputter

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Rebuilding a 2003 with a 2.4 L. Finally got this thing running but had some vacuum issues that I traced to the brake booster. I have three remaining issues I am working through. Would appreciate any guidance folks can provide.
  1. Since replacing the brake booster, the brake lights stay on
  2. Still getting p1491 - Radiator Fan Control Relay circuit. Fan will not come on at temp. I have verified the fan works when I pull out the relay and jumper connector pins. Fan relay and coolant sensor not replaced. Wiring tested ok.
  3. Jeep will not crank intermittently. I have to turn the key in the ignition a couple of times before the starter will engage then it starts ok. Ignition switch has been replaced.
  4. No codes except fan relay.

28946069-DF46-4ECD-8DFC-02FA1A59DE12.jpeg

In regards to the brake lights staying on, it sounds like the brake switch was not adjusted properly when you installed the new booster.

The brake switch has an adjustable plunger on it so that it can be adjusted for just this problem.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
In regards to the brake lights staying on, it sounds like the brake switch was not adjusted properly when you installed the new booster.

The brake switch has an adjustable plunger on it so that it can be adjusted for just this problem.
Thanks - I will check it out!

Reactions: Chris
Ordered a Ignition Switch Actuator Pin to fix the intermittent start. Will report back if that fixes it.

Well I adjusted the brake switch so that fixed that issue. Went to replace the ignition actuator pin and someone had definitely been in there before me. It was missing a screw and when I took off the plate there was no compression spring. I think that may be causing my starting issue so now I am in search of a compatible spring. The pin itself looks fine but I can’t seem to figure out how to get it out. It doesn’t seem to just drop out like some of the YouTube videos suggest. I’ll keep fiddling with it. Will check the voltage on the fan relay tomorrow.

31A936B7-A98D-493B-9AA0-52A6BBDD8E00.jpeg

EEC16A1A-324A-432B-8DE9-5B13EEB41C6E.jpeg

4F185773-DC6B-4019-B8B5-F39AB0DF75DD.jpeg

Waiting for a new actuator pin with the right spring. Decided to rig up a smoke test to see if I had a vacuum leak. No hose leak but smoke poured out around the intake. Is this normal?

3A341E10-6DC1-4C9B-A16D-5A9C20690121.jpeg

DA1362CF-9DFA-411B-B531-C5DED759DE44.jpeg

New actuator pin installed. Still no joy. Got a couple of codes so I am going to work through those and see how far I get.