A couple of JLs waved at me today

I love the TJ, hence the purchase, but I have no problem with the JL.
Screenshot_20180326-191945_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Starrs
I was at Badlands in Attica Indiana two weeks ago and a guy brought out his 4 door JLR. The group I was with put it (and my stock TJR) through it's paces. Lots of new dents and scrapes underneath. I couldn't do that to a 50k jeep. View attachment 37010

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Love that place. It’s a 50 minute drive for me.

That guy who waved at you owned a TJ before (or still owns a TJ).
I met this guy with a JL in IA, he is friendlier I learned he owns a TJ too.
You should get him on this forum to get his perspective, seeing as he own both JL and TJ lol

I never wave at a JL, against my religion. I wave at JKs because I have owned three of them.
Always wave if it is older than 2006.

While I was home I bought my wife the new Jeep JL MOAB. It will live its life on pavement with the occasional dirt road, beach or flat field adventure. Why get a pavement Jeep? First of all it is nice, comfortable, killer sound system, not an import, perfect size for her and the grandkids and in my opinion good looking. Secondly, she lives in Florida and may need a bugout rig in bad weather, it is up to the task. Factory rock sliders, steel bumper and a nice interior and exterior. It is intended as a pleasure car daily driver. I have the TJ and that is purely for play. Don't consider or compare the JL as a TJ replacement, two different generations that are worlds apart. Pretty hard to find a new TJ with a factory warranty for a family to depend on. Mama isn't going to build one or twist a wrench and I'm not there but once a year. BTW, I got the 3.6 and not that 4 banger. The 3.6s are holding up, I know how to throw wrench at it and the extra hp should serve her better than extra torque. She isn't going to pull or beat it in the mud. Also I understand the 4 banger should use premium fuel which would make the 1 MPG advantage more costly.

Reactions: Starrs
I've personally just gotten it in my head that any of the Jeeps beyond the TJ's are just different.. much like comparing a Tacoma to a TJ. That way I have a little respect for them as they are but there is no comparison or lineage to our TJ's. Might sound a bit retarded but that's just me. Way too much plastic, fatter guts, LED lights and automatic everything that irks my old school tastes. Most I see on the road I dislike for multiple reasons immediately and usually it starts with any painted plastic. Sure some look good, but again they aren't Jeeps to me. Just a different off-road vehicle I have no problem waving at any different than waving at the mailman or UPS driver that brings me TJ goodies.

I've personally just gotten it in my head that any of the Jeeps beyond the TJ's are just different.. much like comparing a Tacoma to a TJ. That way I have a little respect for them as they are but there is no comparison or lineage to our TJ's. Might sound a bit retarded but that's just me. Way too much plastic, fatter guts, LED lights and automatic everything that irks my old school tastes. Most I see on the road I dislike for multiple reasons immediately and usually it starts with any painted plastic. Sure some look good, but again they aren't Jeeps to me. Just a different off-road vehicle I have no problem waving at any different than waving at the mailman or UPS driver that brings me TJ goodies.
Go sit in your tj and count the plastic pieces that you find. Report back with what you find. This might surprise you it may not. News flash tho...the tj has a ton of hard plastic all inside too lol. That door panel you rest your arm on when you drive...it’s hard plastic. This might open your eyes it might not, but the tj has a ton of plastic also.