A Downunder Driveway Turbo Build

CaptainBanana

I planned to do a 5 minute video run down once I get the airbox fitted and tune it, still a few weeks away from tuning 😭 so I'll do a quick run down now and video tomorrow of the project so far.
I built this over 6 weeks, almost entirely in pouring rain on soaking wet driveway and the middle of winter which was fun. Its obvious I'm not a welder although I do manage decent beads with RHS and thicker material I often use for work. Doing all the pipe work in thin guage tube, especially the ultra thin stainless with a mig running flux core was a learning curve. I started by laying beads and toward the end of the build moved to spot welding to allow more heat and less holes - I really should have set up the gas but it's hard where I'm building right now.

The basics are:

Chinese GT3582 with .63ar (first time using non brand turbo).
AN4 PTFE Braided feed, An10 or 5/8 hardpipe drain.
1/2 inch water cooling pipes now made, yet to fit.

Chinese air to water intercooler with 3 inch Inlet / outlet (could not get an air to air in The TJ without butchering the car. All pipes are 2.5 inch. These coolers don't come with a bleeder so needed one of those too.

KN pod filter currently sitting in place for initial road testing but will be replace with KN 54 series inline filter or make a box, currently checking what fits. I will then reconnect to the snorkel - not a KN or pod filter guy but space constraints mean I can't use a normal air box with paper filter unfortunately.

The heat exchanger is an Aeroflow race series single pass transmission cooler all plumbed with 3/4 hose.

Davies Craig/Bosch water pump.

Exhaust hot side starts as factory from the manifold, factory mini cats into a 2.5 inch merge. Then 2.5inch goes to a T3 flange. This clears the Alternator and steering shaft by about 10mm or 3/8 - it's tight.

Dump pipe and full exhaust is 3 inch.

Wastegate is GFB 44mm which is plumbed back running 10psi boost. It took me more than 10 hours just to build the merge pipes, it was tacked in the car one mandrel or pie cut at a time, then I removed the exhaust housing and the hot pipes and assembled them all on the ground and welded them. Doing merges on that angle without pipe notchers or any prior experience notching pipes was fun.

Radiator is an Adrad (aussie made but rubbish, they should be ashamed to sell it). It required significant modification to fit the car stock, now its very modified to allow clearance for hoses (see video once posted.

Fuel system is stock pump, 660cc Siemens Deka injectors.

Neon SRT 2.25 bar Map.

Rear rocker cover CCV elbow has been drilled out and an inline PCV has been fitted instead. Front elbow will feed to pre-turbo position after the airbox. I know most members here are in the US and many just bin the emissions stuff but I live ill probably be most ridiculous state in Australia we're just about under communist rule so we can't do anything without being defected and put off the road.

While apart I did timing chain, rear main, water pump, idlers etc.

So anyway that's a brief run down, when I put the video together it will be much easier to see how it's all come together.

I have put 2 hours of road testing on it, no leaks, no problems yet, boost response is excellent but of course being untuned I've only spun it to 2-3psi literally for a second. Time for tuning!

20220727_155132.jpg

20220727_155147.jpg

Screenshot_20220707-063312_Photos.jpg

20220707_125601.jpg

20220710_125311.jpg

20220618_135106.jpg

20220717_112813.jpg

20220717_140514.jpg

20220803_161053.jpg

20220803_161059.jpg

Last edited:
How’d the tuning go mate, is it running good? Keen to see the results

It's been a disaster, the tuner had no idea what he was doing. Returned the car with the tune so rich it literally spits fuel out the exhaust at idle, destroyed the cats, diluted the engine oil after only an hour running time and the piece of shit took my money first and said it's good.

He also ran the car for 3 days with the autometer oil gauge on top of the dashboard loose (knowingly) which filled the entire dashboard with oil, also in the heater system all the carpets, the centre console and my seats and ruined my $1,000 Alpine head unit as well. Currently pursuing a bank chargeback and looking at legal options because he's a piece of s***.

I gave up, bought hp tuners which here is $1400aud and doing it my self. I'll include a couple baseline runs but will be a couple weeks before I have time to get into tuning it.

Do you have an AFR gauge logging into the HP Tuners?

Yes but even setting up that is looking like a pain, it's an autometer gauge which outputs 0-4v so there are no presets or scaling guides for that voltage range specifically. I'm new to HP tuners, I have very little interest in tuning and have traditionally just paid people to do their job which is what I tried here too - the problem is in Australia no one wants to touch jeeps and this is not just an issue with tuners buy getting anyone to work on jeeps in general is hard, so now it's a burden for me.

Last edited:
Yes but even setting up that is looking like a pain, it's an autometer gauge which outputs 0-4v so there are no presets or scaling guides for that voltage range specifically. I'm new to HP tuners, I have very little interest in tuning and have traditionally just paid people to do their job which is what I tried here too - the problem is in Australia no one wants to touch jeeps and this is not just an issue with tuners so now it's a burden for me.

If you can get that worked out, and get it to log correctly, the guy that tuned my Hemi is a member here on the forum. He knows what he's doing with the 4.0 - forced induction as well - and solved a bunch of issues for me. He tuned mine remotely passing files back and forth via e-mail. He may also be able to give you some guidance on the AFR gauge. His rates are entirely fair, and worth every penny.

Ryan is a good guy.

Here he is: @Flyin' Ryan Performance

The shit tuner screwed me $1400aud, HP tuners cost me $1380aud, Ryan wants $1100Aud on top so it's not happening, the timing map is ok the idle fuel map is a joke. Next week I'll fit 36lb injectors and start learning.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Hey mate, made any progress with the build?

**edit I just realised I didn't mention on this post, I actually bought the last HP tuners MVPI2 in Australia a few months ago and our Postal Service lost it.

NO progress since, closed my business, new job, new house no time and no one willing to tune it.

Contacted HP tuners to see if MVPI3 is compatible with NGC pcms yesterday and got a useless non answer so I'm no closer to having it sorted.

• Sad
Reactions: SkylinesSuck
**edit I just realised I didn't mention on this post, I actually bought the last HP tuners MVPI2 in Australia a few months ago and our Postal Service lost it.

NO progress since, closed my business, new job, new house no time and no one willing to tune it.

Contacted HP tuners to see if MVPI3 is compatible with NGC pcms yesterday and got a useless non answer so I'm no closer to having it sorted.

Can you sell the HP tuners to recover a large part of the $1380 AUD and use that to tap into Flyin’ Ryan as a source?

Sorry things have gone south. You put a nice turbo together.

Can you sell the HP tuners to recover a large part of the $1380 AUD and use that to tap into Flyin’ Ryan as a source?

Sorry things have gone south. You put a nice turbo together.

To have someone remote tune it I need the HP tuners plus their fee, that's why I didn't bother and paid someone the first time.

Ok so I found a copy of hp tuners Mvpi2 here locally, If it doesn't get lost again I'll try to pull the file and see what what I can do.

So after months of stuff ups and no car I've finally got an Mvpi2 and have pulled the file. One of our amazing users had been helping via DM but I won't mention him unless he OK's it.

I have his base tune which is very similar to mine in terms of car, turbo, injectors, map etc but our values are definitely not. Could anyone who knows hp tuners please offer an opinion on what they see as horrible in my file below? I won't be able to actually sit and read or make any changes until the weekend but am interested in hearing your thoughts before then.

Attachments

• Tuned By Anton Destroyed My Car Tune.zip
    401.5 KB · Views: 89
So after months of stuff ups and no car I've finally got an Mvpi2 and have pulled the file. One of our amazing users had been helping via DM but I won't mention him unless he OK's it.

I have his base tune which is very similar to mine in terms of car, turbo, injectors, map etc but our values are definitely not. Could anyone who knows hp tuners please offer an opinion on what they see as horrible in my file below? I won't be able to actually sit and read or make any changes until the weekend but am interested in hearing your thoughts before then.

G’day mate hoping things are going well for ya. Tried opening the file, but wouldn’t work. Hows the jeep going did it end up working out?