A good conversation with Ian Johnson on getting into off-road

I'd recommend this before both if someone asked me.

Screenshot_20210909-151223_Lite.jpg

I've tried to watch Ian's show, but everything he does is so high dollar component wise. When he recommended something "cheap" for a starter off road vehicle it was a $10-20,000 SXS with $250/month payments instead of a $45-50,000 stock Jeep.

Ian said they should find a course on offroading. I know of none around here. The SxS course would consist of putting ice in the yeti and proper sticker application.
they used to have jeep skool in ohio, but that is no more, and southngton off road now operates the property.

Reactions: Apparition
I think I'd rather have the XJ

I can't speak for other places but here since the Cash for Clunkers BS you can't touch a POS XJ for under $2K and if it's in good shape you're looking at $5-8K. But it's the same with Samurai's and Yota's now too.
Where you use to be able to get a decent rig for $1500 that is now gone.

But in all fairness a $20K SXS can go 50 MPH in the whoops and jump and do a lot of other things you can't do in a standard Jeep. But you also can't rock crawl a SXS like you can a Jeep.
Now I'll admit I've been out of the SXS world for a while and with 33" & 35" tires being mounted onto them I'm sure they are a lot more capable than they were before.

IMG_9645_zpsfd809396.jpg

Now do this in a Jeep and how much is it gunna cost to repair it? Broke a CV joint & bent a control arm. This is what happens when your 15 year old daughter drives in a barrel race.

IMG_3330C_zpsawydhjqd.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Tob and tombicon
IDK i see the point of start small but they are already to overpowered for that.

but i can't get any pride from some bought buggy. that will only come when my suspension is proven effective i make that 1st big obstacle most drive past or around, without issue ....................then i can enjoy that big shit-eatin grin.

IDK i see the point of start small but they are already to overpowered for that.

but i can't get any pride from some bought buggy. that will only come when my suspension is proven effective i make that 1st big obstacle most drive past or around, without issue ....................then i can enjoy that big shit-eatin grin.

Yes but you are someone who likes to work on & fabricate parts for your rig. If you don't know how or don't like to wrench on a rig then a SXS can be a good option. But just like anything it has limitations. It's just figuring out which those are.

Reactions: someguysjeep