A Good Jeep Mechanic

Michael2006

I finally bought a Jeep and I'm looking for a trustworthy garage to take it and have it looked at.
I live in Jersey city, NJ and Was hoping someone could recommend a place for me. It's 2006 Jeep Rubicon. Low miles but has some rust issues and want to make sure it's mechanically sound before I sink some money into the frame and body.
Thank you

You're in a good place to figure things out, perhaps without a mechanic. The guys here know a ton. What more can you tell us? What kind of rust issues? Is it surface rust only? Where is the rust? Congrats on the new Rubicon! Post some pics!

Reactions: EJD
I finally bought a Jeep and I'm looking for a trustworthy garage to take it and have it looked at.
I live in Jersey city, NJ and Was hoping someone could recommend a place for me. It's 2006 Jeep Rubicon. Low miles but has some rust issues and want to make sure it's mechanically sound before I sink some money into the frame and body.
Thank you
Congrats on the new Jeep, its such a nice feeling isn't it? Post pics of your concerns and let the forum give you some feedback in the meantime.

You're in a good place to figure things out, perhaps without a mechanic. The guys here know a ton.
Absolutely!

I would start out by reading reviews from yelp etc for shops in your area but echo what the others say. There are a lot of gurus on this forum who know jeeps better than most jeep techs at the stealership. Good luck in your search and watch for frame rust. Body rust is less of a concern in general but frame can be costly

Welcome by the way

Thanks for all the support. Here's the photos. I love this Jeep. Here's some photos of the frame and one rust spot to give you all an idea. I went to ok4wd.com but they were too busy so I took a scenic ride back to Jersey City so it was worth it.
20170408_134107.jpg
20170408_134151.jpg
20170408_134259.jpg
20170408_134410.jpg
20170408_134525.jpg

20170408_134107.jpg
20170408_134151.jpg
20170408_134259.jpg
20170408_134410.jpg
20170408_134525.jpg

very nice Rubicon and already accessorized for you lol . that alone will save you a lot of money if you are happy with the look, tires, lift, bumpers etc. to me it looks perfect just the way it is..
hard to tell with the rush. the one spot appears to be on the fender? wouldnt worry about that too much, just get that fixed before it spreads.
there is rust on the frame for sure. when I was doing my jeep hunting I was tappin the frame with my little steel hammer I brought and you can hear the hollow sound when tapping on a bad rust spot. I also stuck my fingers down in all the little holes and felt the bottom of the frame from inside the hole feeling for rust that starts from the inside out.

worse case scenario, the money you may save by not having to do more lifts, tires, accesories, for now at least, can go to any needed frame work you need done. they sell patch kits that are tailor made for the TJ's and fit over the common trouble spots.
I ended up buying a rust free frame Jeep after looking at 40 plus jeeps, most of which were rust buckets.
but I did a lot of research on rusty frames. I am one of the least knowledgeable folks on here when it comes to engines, suspensions etc but feel well versed on rust LOL .

if its not too bad you can have it sand blasted and repainted. Eastman Co. makes some good rust converter/prevention products.
find a good frame shop if needed as many of them do rust work on frames. I had quotes in my area for a worse case scenario to do rust work and the frame shop said they can do it for under $400 and that would be a frame in bad condition. ended up not needing their service but heck, if the frame is bad enough that it needs some work and you spend even 500 or 600 bucks, thats less than a set of tires or maybe a lift kit if you paid someone to do it and your Rig already looks great from that stance.

congrats,, its a looker.

Thank you
may I ask how much you paid and the mileage? what size tires?

Thanks, Germansheperd for all the info. It was a lot because it has 52k on the engine.
I'm a workaholic so I appreciate your insights and will to hire someone to do the work.
245/75r16 tires.
Thank you.
wow, 52k, not even broken in yet and I know things are not cheap in norther jersey lol. it looks really nice, the look I want with mine. I got 165k on mine, not much for that engine but at the stage where it needs more imp things done to keep it running but some day she may get a little lift etc.
nice find on the Rubicon.. keep us posted on the progress with the frame. with that low mileage, I would deal with some frame issues as long as it was not falling apart.