A lesson learned—keep it light and nimble!

Added 1 inch rear spacers and made more measurements.

20210519_184835.jpg

20210519_184903.jpg

20210519_221754.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting. Are you thinking of the RS55241 with a little more bump? It seems like that could yield 8" travel and a slight uptravel bias...

Excellent build, by the way.
I do plan to add one additional inch of bump stop to the rear. This will put me at two inches. I'm still undecided about shocks. The Jeep is now sitting on 2 1/4" lift with the H&R springs and a 1" spacer. I have a set of 3" springs I'm going to install, then do one more suspension cycling and numbers collecting. It's been very tedious to go through this process, but I know a lot more about the suspension than I did when I started. After this last round of cycling the suspension, I'll make a choice on both the spring setup and shocks.

My one concern, at this point, is the amount of space I'll have between the top of the 31" tire and the bottom of the fender flare. As it stands now, I'm at 8" in the rear and 7" in the front. My overall tub height, at the left rear corner, is now sitting at 25 3/4". When I started, it was 21 1/2" on stock tires and suspension.

20210521_101556.jpg

I do plan to add one additional inch of bump stop to the rear. This will put me at two inches. I'm still undecided about shocks. The Jeep is now sitting on 2 1/4" lift with the H&R springs and a 1" spacer. I have a set of 3" springs I'm going to install, then do one more suspension cycling and numbers collecting. It's been very tedious to go through this process, but I know a lot more about the suspension than I did when I started. After this last round of cycling the suspension, I'll make a choice on both the spring setup and shocks.

My one concern, at this point, is the amount of space I'll have between the top of the 31" tire and the bottom of the fender flare. As it stands now, I'm at 8" in the rear and 7" in the front. My overall tub height, at the left rear corner, is now sitting at 25 3/4". When I started, it was 21 1/2" on stock tires and suspension.

View attachment 253889

I appreciate all of the work you've done with trying various approaches and documenting all of it so well. Your thread has been very educational for me as I contemplate a small tire build for my '02.

My best friend drove up and hung out with me in the garage yesterday. With his help, we knocked out:
- vacuuming and charging the A/C
- modifying and installing the exhaust
- installing the Savvy UA

20210522_124434.jpg

20210522_124923.jpg

After doing the short lift the stock swaybar links were about an inch to short. I got creative and used the following parts on hand to make a set:

- male 1/2 20 greaseable heim hoints
- 1/2 20 all-thread
- four old lug nuts (used as jam nuts)
- two old upper control arm bolts and flag nuts (used on the frame side, with 1" spacers)
- two 1/2x5/8x1 spacers
- two 3/8" bolts (swaybar side)
- 3/8 wire loom

It's not quite as nice as I'd like, but it's also not bad given where it goes.

20210523_105454.jpg

20210523_145513.jpg

20210523_162043.jpg

Last edited:
Bought some stainless steel rubber lined clamps to tidy up the brake lines. I did have to use a carbide bit to enlarge the holes, but now the lines are attached to the Savvy arms and no zip ties were used! :)

20210523_083556.jpg

20210523_162027.jpg

Figure I'd try here, before posting in the main section. What's the proper procedure for greasing the JJs? This is my first set and there's no way in hell I'm getting any grease to go into them new. Is this a wait until they wear in a little and then grease them situation?

Figure I'd try here, before posting in the main section. What's the proper procedure for greasing the JJs? This is my first set and there's no way in hell I'm getting any grease to go into them new. Is this a wait until they wear in a little and then grease them situation?
I was told they come greased ready to go. One a year seems to be the average answer I got depending on use and location. You have to completely take them apart to grease the ball using a high molly grease

Reactions: Irun
I am almost certain the destructions I found online said they came greased and ready to run. When I talked to Currie to order rebuild parts, they said use only non-synthetic molly grease. Blaine recommended some redline stuff so I used that. Currie didn't like that, but I trust Blaine's recommendation.

I think they "break in" pretty quickly and you could daily drive them a bit then grease them. Mine wouldn't take any at first (I greased them when I rebuilt then obviously) but a couple of tanks of gas later I could without TOO much trouble.

Great work. And I hate to bother ya, but what size and where did you get the rubber clamps. Thats a great idea.

Don't bother trying to grease them via the zerks. Take care not to try and force grease in them. You could hydro a bushing half.