A lesson learned—keep it light and nimble!

Under construction!

20210724_192301.jpg

Yezzir! We just got back from the beach late last night. I think we have packed 2 summers worth of stuff in to 1 making up for last summer! Only thing we didn't do is go wheeling yet 🙁 Should have a chance for sure in the next week or two!

The new SKIM came in this weekend.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007O3STD6/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I'm going to be packaging up the following, below, and send it to @mrblaine, as soon as I can get to a dealer to get new keys

1. My 2003 PCM
2. New SKIM (56010209AD)
3. Three (3) new keys cut, with PIN, but not programmed
4. Ignition cylinder
Be aware that we are having poor success with the OEM keys. The last 10 or so would not program. The only thing we have found to work are the bullshit aftermarket keys without the logo. Hopefully they have worked past all the bad ones by now.

Crap, these are about $75+ each at the dealer.
My fear is they won't warranty them if they won't program. We ran into that with our local dealers, after the 10 wouldn't work, they took the keys, refunded the money, then said we had to bring the Jeep in for them to do the programming and would not give us any more keys.
Are these the ones you're talking about?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4012508045...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
Those are the ones we've been using. So far they are 100%.

Reactions: Irun
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
My fear is they won't warranty them if they won't program. We ran into that with our local dealers, after the 10 wouldn't work, they took the keys, refunded the money, then said we had to bring the Jeep in for them to do the programming and would not give us any more keys.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4012508045...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
Those are the ones we've been using. So far they are 100%.
Ordered two pair of the ones you referenced. Will the dealer still cut the keys from my VIN and provide me a PIN, even though I didn't order keys from them?

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Ordered two pair of the ones you referenced. Will the dealer still cut the keys from my VIN and provide me a PIN, even though I didn't order keys from them?
I've never interacted with your dealer so I don't know. We can get them cut if needed and most likely get the PIN.

I've never interacted with your dealer so I don't know. We can get them cut if needed and most likely get the PIN.
I'll see what they say. If they will do it, I'll take care of it on my end. If not, I'll have to ship the blanks, along with my VIN.

I'll see what they say. If they will do it, I'll take care of it on my end. If not, I'll have to ship the blanks, along with my VIN.
Just let them know that there is a known issue with them not programming. We saw it on here first before we ran into it.

Simple stuff on the to-do list for a while. Installed two pairs of McGard door locks. Five minutes to put them on, but now I'll worry less about the doors disappearing.

Important note, like regular keys, the tool to remove them comes in different keys. I bought one, then contacted them to get a matching pair.

20210801_112759.jpg

20210801_120029.jpg

Simple stuff on the to-do list for a while. Installed two pairs of McGard door locks. Five minutes to put them on, but now I'll worry less about the doors disappearing.

Important note, like regular keys, the tool to remove them comes in different keys. I bought one, then contacted them to get a matching pair.

View attachment 268475

View attachment 268476
I don’t even keep the nuts on mine lol. Way too much effort 😂

Covered the tan vinyl armrest pad in a cloth nautical theme.

20210801_165155.jpg

This one is a small modification that has been on my "to-do" list. What's the problem I'm solving here? Simple, the rear view mirrors on our Jeeps have very limited rear visibility, and restrict visibility on the narrow windshield.

What's the solution? Kemimoto makes a wide-view side-by-side mirror that happens to be a perfect fit for the plastic trim that the visors snap into. The installation is simple, eliminates the factory mirror, and increases visibility dramatically.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MBB9XP2/?tag=wranglerorg-20
To install it, remove the plastic trim, mark a hole in the center, then drill a 3/8" hole. Because the plastic is this thin, I added an extra 10mm flat washer, placing one flat washer on the outside and one on the inside. The inside also received the supplied lock washer and nut. An 11mm wrench is used on the outside, along with a 17mm socket on the inside, to tighten the mirror to the plastic.

Once the mirror is installed, tighten the philips head screws, to secure the mirror from flopping around. Then, re-install the plastic trim, with the new mirror attached. If you've centered it up properly, the visors will just clear the mirror. From start to finish, the project took less than 30 minutes, which included looking for an extra 10mm flat washer.

Suffice it to say, the difference is dramatic. You now have complete visibility of the back seat and window, as well as visibility of part of the back side windows. The only con I can see, is that you loose the lever for night driving, but that just means you need to manually flip the mirror up. Obviously, for those with a temperature indicator in the mirror, that is lost as well. That said, if you don't have a temperature/compass mirror, this is a no brainer!

View attachment 267193

View attachment 267194

View attachment 267195

View attachment 267196

View attachment 267197

View attachment 267198

View attachment 267200

View attachment 267201
How could you do this without that factory plastic piece to mount to? I dont have that on my 99. I guess just by the plastic part? What is it called?

I love this idea. At 6'3" even turning my mirror upside down isnt really enough.