A lesson learned—keep it light and nimble!

At his point I'm looking at other options....so much confusion! o_O
I have a scan gauge 2 I bought off a buddy for cheap. It’s pretty handy and it’s small, I have it double backed taped to the top of the steering column and the wire behind the dash, makes for a pretty clean install.

Reactions: Irun
Its funny you bring this up. I was just thinking about how I could permanently mount one of my old phones to the jeep so I can keep an eye on different things that are available with the reader. I have a couple S7's sitting around that work perfectly, especially plugged in. Screen area is an issue, but its also easier to place a cell phone. Between Torque and On x Offroad, I really need some sort of "computer" in the jeep.

Just to show you what I was talking about:

https://www.plxdevices.com/2-1-16-Touch-Screen-MultiGauge-For-Al-Sensor-Mo-p/897346002368.htm
For the HUD thing you posted, for $50 I think it's worth a shot to find out as long as you have a place you'd be happy mounting it. Bonus points for being able to swap it to your other rig if you wanted. Or for that price just buy 2 lol. One thing I'd at least keep in mind is while OBD2 is a "standard" protocol, there is also usually proprietary info that may or may not be able to be read by that particular reader i.e. OEM tranny temp info, ABS info, and other stuff like that. Considering the age of our jeeps though and what you want out of it, I think that'll likely be a non-issue for you. Does that thing have a way to interact with it to clear codes?

I'm still toying with the idea of using the phone. The plus side there is the size, mount options, and power consumption. If I buy one of the units I'm looking at, the downside is they will consume battery power while the Jeep sits idle. This means I would possibly need to unplug it when not in use. The power drain probably isn't a big deal, unless there are extended periods of no use. I don't see that happening with this Jeep. FWIW, I found another one last night that has both a windshield and dash mount option. Aesthetically, this one is also more visually appealing than the first one I posted. Another plus for going this route is, at $50, it won't hurt my wallet if it doesn't work out, or gets stolen.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0957S3F3H/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I'm still toying with the idea of using the phone. The plus side there is the size, mount options, and power consumption. If I buy one of the units I'm looking at, the downside is they will consume battery power while the Jeep sits idle. This means I would possibly need to unplug it when not in use. The power drain probably isn't a big deal, unless there are extended periods of no use. I don't see that happening with this Jeep. FWIW, I found another one last night that has both a windshield and dash mount option. Aesthetically, this one is also more visually appealing than the first one I posted. Another plus for going this route is, at $50, it won't hurt my wallet if it doesn't work out, or gets stolen.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0957S3F3H/?tag=wranglerorg-20
That is the exact one I bought. I haven’t received it yet. I figured it was worth the investment at that price point. I will have it on the lower windshield to my left and will unplug it when the jeep is parked…

That is the exact one I bought. I haven’t received it yet. I figured it was worth the investment at that price point. I will have it on the lower windshield to my left and will unplug it when the jeep is parked…
Will be looking for a review! ;)

Now you made me watch that. I love the "there is no need to bow your head while driving" and "refuse over speed and stay away from tickets" :ROFLMAO:
Definitely Chinese then, because in Japan, there is always a need to bow while driving. Not kidding. And I love how they pronounced "refuse" like what you throw away in the trash 😂

• Haha
Plugged it in to my OBD2 Port and all it will show is my battery voltage. Says my vehicle isn’t compatible with obd2 port, lol. If you read reviews on Amazon it says that about quite a few different vehicles. Oh well. Return started…
Good to know. Thanks for reporting back! (y)

Got a different random anything OBD2 to plug it in to before you return it? I didn't know you have a hemi swap!
The OBD2 port in my Jeep works great with everything else. Just has a problem, like a lot of other Amazon reviewer‘s, with that HUD I guess…

And yes, I have had a Hemi for quite a while. As dependable as anything I’ve ever driven…

I believe the PID’s it reads through the ODB2 port should be the same for the Hemi ECU and the 4.0 ECU. I occasionally use the Autometer DashLink which integrates with my IPhone, and that works fine.

I believe the PID’s it reads through the ODB2 port should be the same for the Hemi ECU and the 4.0 ECU. I occasionally use the Autometer DashLink which integrates with my IPhone, and that works fine.
All I am really looking for is a way to read actual engine coolant and air intake temps, real time. That HUD seemed like a convenient way to do that. It fits perfectly on the left side of the dash…

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Back in the Summer I swapped door panels from an extra set of Midnight full doors I couldn't sell. As usual, when I removed the panels I broke some of the retaining clips. Getting tired of the gap and slight rattling, I ordered a set of clips from Amazon. I finally got around to removing the panels and re-installing them with all new clips. They were a perfect fit, unlike the Dorman clips I tried to use previously.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08RB7HWX4/?tag=wranglerorg-20