A lesson learned—keep it light and nimble!

Now that I've been driving the Jeep more, I'm ready to upgrade the 4.10 gears. Unfortunately, I'm seeing what everyone else is talking about. My preference is to stick with Revolution, but there is no stock on either 4.88 or 5.13. :(

If you installed that stroker you would be 😉 Actually, I was joking as I typed that but ......
I ran a supercharger on one of mine for awhile. Nothing about it I didn't like and the rest of the rig was stock until I put on take off JK 32's. I re-geared it after about a month from 3.73 to 4.88.

Let's Go Brandon.
At work, the emergency frequency that all controllers monitor on speaker and most pilots monitor usually has random cat and/or wookie noises, football score announcements, jokes, etc. Recently it's been mostly "Let's go Brandon" and "Do not come. Do not come." which even the non-Trump fans find hilarious 😂 Well, except Delta pilots. Those guys have a rather large stick jammed way up their asses.

I ran a supercharger on one of mine for awhile. Nothing about it I didn't like and the rest of the rig was stock until I put on take off JK 32's. I re-geared it after about a month from 3.73 to 4.88.

4.88's for 32's? Everybody has their own preference I guess, and you certainly have a lot more experience in the gearing area than I. I just know that with 4.10's and 33's (AX15) I have zero want for more gear on the road, and I greatly value acceleration lol. Off road is a completely different matter though, but he's got a Rubicrawler so I don't think that would be an issue for him. Just my thoughts (and a little needling to encourage him to install his stroker 😉).

Reactions: Irun
At work, the emergency frequency that all controllers monitor on speaker and most pilots monitor usually has random cat and/or wookie noises, football score announcements, jokes, etc. Recently it's been mostly "Let's go Brandon" and "Do not come. Do not come." which even the non-Trump fans find hilarious 😂 Well, except Delta pilots. Those guys have a rather large stick jammed way up their asses.

4.88's for 32's? Everybody has their own preference I guess, and you certainly have a lot more experience in the gearing area than I. I just know that with 4.10's and 33's (AX15) I have zero want for more gear on the road, and I greatly value acceleration lol. Off road is a completely different matter though, but he's got a Rubicrawler so I don't think that would be an issue for him. Just thoughts (and a little needling to encourage him to install his stroker 😉).
AX15 gearing needs do not equal those for the 42RLE.

4.88's for 32's? Everybody has their own preference I guess, and you certainly have a lot more experience in the gearing area than I. I just know that with 4.10's and 33's (AX15) I have zero want for more gear on the road, and I greatly value acceleration lol. Off road is a completely different matter though, but he's got a Rubicrawler so I don't think that would be an issue for him. Just my thoughts (and a little needling to encourage him to install his stroker 😉).
I didn't like the loss in acceleration so I re-geared so I doubt you value it more than I do. I wouldn't run a manual off road if you wrapped a custom built TJ Unlimited Rubicon with my choice of engine and axles so there is that.

Reactions: tombicon
Yeah, like I was saying, everybody has their preferences. I could never deal with a slushbox but I do acknowledge their benefits off road.

Yeah, like I was saying, everybody has their preferences. I could never deal with a slushbox but I do acknowledge their benefits off road.
I once had a gent tell me his manual rig was faster than my TJ Unlimited auto after I had him test drive it. His was a 98 with 80,000 miles, mine an 04 with 208,000 miles on it but re-geared and I had pulled the supercharger for smog. He was arguing that re-gearing wasn't worth it.

We took them out and raced them. I didn't get beat once out of 4 times.

• Haha
42RLE is a completely different animal!

Comparison Gearing Chart
RPMs @ 70 MPH W/42RLE OD (.69)
Tire Size30.5"31"32.5"33"
4.56​
2564​
2522​
2406​
2369​
4.88​
2743​
2699​
2575​
2536​
5.13​
2884​
2837​
2707​
2666​

I wonder how it is, that a guy without a smart phone and that doesn't text...is more up on trending social media memes than I am...I had to look this shit up!
Apparently, you live in a bubble! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj
I once had a gent tell me his manual rig was faster than my TJ Unlimited auto after I had him test drive it. His was a 98 with 80,000 miles, mine an 04 with 208,000 miles on it but re-geared and I had pulled the supercharger for smog. He was arguing that re-gearing wasn't worth it.

We took them out and raced them. I didn't get beat once out of 4 times.
I would love to race any TJ with a stock motor and whatever gearing/tranny they preferred.

*Edited for my stupidity.

Last edited:
I wonder how it is, that a guy without a smart phone and that doesn't text...is more up on trending social media memes than I am...I had to look this shit up!
Depends on how and where you get your news. The clip of the race where that started was posted on a forum. I don't watch any TJ news because I have enough rot trying to get my attention, I don't need any more.

To get this out of the way, I feel like racing Jeeps is like:

View attachment 285066

BUT, I would love to race any TJ with a stock motor and whatever gearing/tranny they preferred.
I don't offer to go race. I prefer not to. I also fully believe that no matter how good you are, how fast you are, how strong you are, etc., there is always someone that can beat you. I'm also one of those that doesn't compete for a reason. I am way too competitive. If you were in this part of the world and got close enough to me that you could say you would love to race my TJ with a stock motor, I'd take you up on that in a heartbeat and then I'd smoke your ass. It might cost me a motor, trans, whatever, but you wouldn't beat me. I know way too much about nitrous for that to happen. Remember, you said stock motor.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ