A lesson learnedā€”keep it light and nimble!

I know way too much about nitrous for that to happen. Remember, you said stock motor.

I very much like this comment and your interpretation of stock motor šŸ‘šŸ˜ And yeah, there is always somebody faster whether you're driving a stroked TJ (especially then lol) or a 700hp Skyline.

Self awareness my friend. Remember your audience! :(
It was just a little self deprecating humor directed at myself for always trying to drive my Jeep like a race car despite knowing better šŸ¤“

I very much like this comment and your interpretation of stock motor šŸ‘šŸ˜ And yeah, there is always somebody faster whether you're driving a stroked TJ (especially then lol) or a 700hp Skyline.

It was just a little self deprecating humor directed at myself for always trying to drive my Jeep like a race car despite knowing better šŸ¤“
You need to play in race sanctioning body rules a bit more. Stock motor is just that, stock internals. Or in the case of KOH stock class rules, stock block and intake. That left it wide open to run some very high horsepower strokers.

Just so you know, a stock motor with nitrous is still a stock motor. The only way you're getting out of that is by qualifying with no power adders.

I was thinking of it from your typical TJ owner's perspective, not somebody who actually races. Regardless, I don't want to detract from the point of this thread anymore so apologies for the side track.

Reactions: Irun
I was thinking of it from your typical TJ owner's perspective, not somebody who actually races. Regardless, I don't want to detract from the point of this thread anymore so apologies for the side track.
Yep, that always happens until you run up against someone who doesn't like to lose and understands words perfectly. It is easy to beat some poor unsuspecting sod, not so easy when they don't want to be beaten.

Reminds me of a lot of folks I've been around who tell me they were racing a whatever and beat them. Sure, but did they know ya'll was racing? Or as my deer hunting buddies used to try and tell me, Yeppers, I shot that little forked horn at 800 yards with my ought six. Yeah buddy, now if you could only see a deer at that distance.

There are enough people paying attention that I'm going to post this here first, and bleed over to the general section, if needed. For those that have been following along, you know 31" tires are part of my foreseeable future. Also, although it won't be until the Spring of next year, I do plan to wheel this Jeep to its potential. Knowing this, I've tried to make decisions based on improving ground clearance, wherever practical/possible.

Overall, I'm very happy with where the build is. There are a few things I'll tackle over the winter, parts are in hand, including:

- raised body mounts
- tie rod flip
- lower control arm mini skids

Beyond that, I'll also be looking at re-gearing and a locker up front, to replace the Detroit TrueTrac.

Out of everything done thus far, and planned, there is one area I'm second guessing. Genright and Nemesis both make mini boatside rockers. Knowing that I'll move up the body mounts, I'm wondering if the 1" additional clearance on the outside edge really matters? The reason this is nagging at me is because there have been occasions where I've routinely seen 1/4" to 1/2" clearance at the transfer case skid. The Savvy rockers will obviously take whatever I'll throw at them, so I'm just wondering if I'm over thinking this? :unsure:

There are enough people paying attention that I'm going to post this here first, and bleed over to the general section, if needed. For those that have been following along, you know 31" tires are part of my foreseeable future. Also, although it won't be until the Spring of next year, I do plan to wheel this Jeep to its potential. Knowing this, I've tried to make decisions based on improving ground clearance, wherever practical/possible.

Overall, I'm very happy with where the build is. There are a few things I'll tackle over the winter, parts are in hand, including:

- raised body mounts
- tie rod flip

Beyond that, I'll also be looking at re-gearing and a locker up front, to replace the Detroit TrueTrac.

Out of everything done thus far, and planned, there is one area I'm second guessing. Genright and Nemesis both make mini boatside rockers. Knowing that I'll move up the body mounts, I'm wondering if the 1" additional clearance on the outside edge really matters? The reason this is nagging at me is because there have been occasions where I've routinely seen 1/4" to 1/2" clearance at the transfer case skid. The Savvy rockers will obviously take whatever I'll throw at them, so I'm just wondering if I'm over thinking this? :unsure:
I think clearance on a slider that is meant to lean on and slide on things is less important than clearance for things that donā€™t slide (like body mounts). I know thatā€™s stating the obvious lol but those savvy sliders are freaking awesome for sliding around on stuff and are made to do so. I run them as well. Iā€™m sure there are certain situations where being able to lean into the rocker a little bit more could help get a tire planted better and increase traction. I feel that it would be quite a rare and unique scenario on any trail youā€™re putting 31s on though.

I think clearance on a slider that is meant to lean on and slide on things is less important than clearance for things that donā€™t slide (like body mounts). I know thatā€™s stating the obvious lol but those savvy sliders are freaking awesome for sliding around on stuff and are made to do so. I run them as well. Iā€™m sure there are certain situations where being able to lean into the rocker a little bit more could help get a tire planted better and increase traction. I feel that it would be quite a rare and unique scenario on any trail youā€™re putting 31s on though.
You bring up something I hadn't thought about. Although I go through large rocks, it is rarely in situations that are significantly off camber. This means I'm not leaning into them, but rather going/dragging over them.

- raised body mounts
- tie rod flip

you could do a cross-sectional sketch of your existing set-up (savvy sliders, body mounts, frame rail, skid). Then draw a line from the outside most point of the slider to the low point of the frame. Anything inside that line should be fairly well protected. If its outside that line, its in harms way.

Once you have that, nip a corner by an inch. See if it makes any discernable difference. You might find it exposes a lot MORE stuff or you might find that it allows you in closer to a obstacle.

DANG! Those seats look good. The whole Jeep looks good...you have a Dana44 laying around the garage? haha

I'll be watching this thread fo sho

On subject of OBD scanners, i use ultragauge
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/
This thing has been migrating with me from car to car since 2013. Still scanning and displaying.
Not as fancy looking as ones in amazon links, but it is small and functional, operates with 3 buttons in the back, very intuitive.
Powered from OBD port and does not need much juice. Sometimes i leave for 5 month out of the year, come back and car starts right up.
PXL_20211104_003333927.jpg

So clean..I don't know how some of you guys do it.
Honestly, it is a lot of work that is highly non-technical. However, it's incredibly satisfying to see the results and hear the encouragement. That said, thank you!

Honestly, it is a lot of work that is highly non-technical. However, it's incredibly satisfying to see the result.
You can say that again... Before my recent series of setbacks, I was getting myself amped up to give mine some fresh paint. My black is kinda trashed... So, no matter what, it's doesn't look wet, like a good black paint job should. So...I just kinda let it go.

Reactions: Wildman and Irun
You can say that again... Before my recent series of setbacks, I was getting myself amped up to give mine some fresh paint. My black is kinda trashed... So, no matter what, it's doesn't look wet, like a good black paint job should. So...I just kinda let it go.
I do an annual touch up over every winter. It's a PIA, but I force myself to do it. Not doing so yields results I can't accept or live with.