A lesson learned—keep it light and nimble!

Do you know the compressed length of the 8516 (I know you take good notes)? They give a different travel number than the one you list and if it's shorter than the 13.54" spec that would be great for me.
If you look at the website, there are several tabs on the B8516 page. The first, "Description" gives the following specs, which are incorrect:

22.75 - 13.54 = 9.21

The second tab, "Specs and Kit Notes", gives the correct numbers:

22.3 - 13.52 = 8.78

The latter numbers are the ones I saw and validated. To be fair, I rounded down to 8.75", because it's splitting hairs at that point. However, there was a tad more than 8.75" of travel, so their 8.78" number is accurate. (y)

https://skyjacker.com/shop/shocks/black-max-shocks/b8516-black-max-shock-absorber/

Reactions: Wildman and pagrey
Very interested in your camera placement.
I was able to install the system yesterday, but couldn't work on the camera placement. In order to get them set correctly, I needed to take the Jeep out of the garage, to get a more accurate camera view, and it was just to cold! Although I installed the TV feature, I wasn't able to get it to work. There was a note in the instructions that said a software update may be needed, so I'll call their tech support next week. Overall, I'm impressed with the unit, which is packed full of features. I'll need a while to go through all those!

FWIW, the TJ1002 unit is really a single DIN radio with a double DIN face. As such, it fits in the stock dash bezel. An aftermarket double DIN bezel will not work!

TJ1002-6-600x400-1.jpg

You do have to be careful about bundling the wiring. There are a lot of connections and wiring, which space becomes a premium. That said, it does fit and it worth the effort and expense. Although I didn't get to start and run the Jeep, the gauge customization is impressive!

20220130_101823.jpg

20220129_155047.jpg

20220129_155102.jpg

20220129_170331.jpg

20220129_170402.jpg

20220130_101733.jpg

Thanks for the info about the shocks. If you go into settings on that radio and into the about page at the bottom does it mention 8227L or alps? I've been curious about what model insane sells and they don't publish it on their site.

Reactions: Irun
Thanks for the info about the shocks. If you go into settings on that radio and into the about page at the bottom does it mention 8227L or alps? I've been curious about what model insane sells and they don't publish it on their site.
I'll check later and see what's listed.

Reactions: pagrey
I was able to install the system yesterday, but couldn't work on the camera placement. In order to get them set correctly, I needed to take the Jeep out of the garage, to get a more accurate camera view, and it was just to cold! Although I installed the TV feature, I wasn't able to get it to work. There was a note in the instructions that said a software update may be needed, so I'll call their tech support next week. Overall, I'm impressed with the unit, which is packed full of features. I'll need a while to go through all those!

Have you checked their forum page? I can't wait until I finally get to apply power to mine. I'm sure I'll be months before I know what even 1/4 of that radio can do.

It looks GREAT BTW.

How's the sound quality?
That looks great I have been thinking about that head unit myself interested in how the audio quality is.
Sound quality out of the box is so-so, but after playing around with a feature rich equalizer and sound settings, I'm happy with what's there. That said, it would be even better with a factory subwoofer setup, and best if an amplifier is added.

20220130_145427.jpg

20220130_145437.jpg

20220130_145448.jpg

Have you checked their forum page? I can't wait until I finally get to apply power to mine. I'm sure I'll be months before I know what even 1/4 of that radio can do.

It looks GREAT BTW.
I haven't had a chance to look at their forum page, but plan to as soon as time allows for it. I can say that the price is steep, but once you unpack all the features, you start to see the value. From my perspective, its a very good way to add some modern technology to our "antique " platform, in a relatively simple way!

This is just a small sample of what comes loaded and you can add lots more.

20220130_145634.jpg

20220130_150028.jpg

I haven't had a chance to look at their forum page, but plan to as soon as time allows for it. I can say that the price is steep, but once you unpack all the features, you start to see the value. From my perspective, its a very good way to add some modern technology to our "antique " platform, in a relatively simple way!

This is just a small sample of what comes loaded and you can add lots more.

View attachment 305944

View attachment 305945

My eyes are going FAST as I get older so that was why I got the double din model. I can't wait to see what all it comes with and plan to install one or two of the different Off-Road navigation apps also.

I don't have the TV module but did buy 2 cameras for it. And was also reading up on getting one of the dash cameras to add to the system. A lot of it is above my understanding and will have to get someone more tech savvy to explain it all to me. My son is a audiophile and is planning on tuning my system for me once I'm done.

And yes a amp and sub is pretty much needed.

My eyes are going FAST as I get older so that was why I got the double din model. I can't wait to see what all it comes with and plan to install one or two of the different Off-Road navigation apps also.

I don't have the TV module but did buy 2 cameras for it. And was also reading up on getting one of the dash cameras to add to the system. A lot of it is above my understanding and will have to get someone more tech savvy to explain it all to me. My son is a audiophile and is planning on tuning my system for me once I'm done.

And yes a amp and sub is pretty much needed.
There are three USB pig tails. It will be nice to use one of those for the GMRS radio. In my case I happened to be lucky enough to put my radio in the correct spot. 🙃

20220130_151153.jpg