A lesson learned—keep it light and nimble!

Not much happening with Jeeps now, because we've been super busy with Easter and family coming. This time of year is a big deal to us, so my wife and I kicked off a significant Spring cleaning this weekend. While doing so we came across several boxes of these. I've lost count of the total number of races we've run. However, I do know that, between the two of us, we're easily north of 120 Marathons and halfs. Although, I've had to hang up my distance running shoes temporarily, the time commitment is significant, I do still enjoy a short 30 to 60 minute run. With warmer weather here, I'm looking forward to training for another half, and possibly more! 🏃‍♂️

View attachment 321810
That’s impressive, Dude.

Weather was fantastic today. I am not!! If I wasn't feeling so bad, I'd take one out for a drive and not just take pictures!

20220411_132815.jpg

20220411_132925.jpg

20220411_132834.jpg

20220411_133024.jpg

20220411_145109.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Irun
Question; what do you do if you go to an off-road park in the TJ and come to a small mud puddle?

do you just drive through and get it dirty or do you turn around? because there's literally not a spot anywhere on that car.
He drives through it, then spends the next two weeks cleaning and repainting all the scratched and damage underneath!

Question; what do you do if you go to an off-road park in the TJ and come to a small mud puddle?

do you just drive through and get it dirty or do you turn around? because there's literally not a spot anywhere on that car.
They get used. Then, like @Mike_H said, I spend two weeks asking myself why did I do that, while I'm scrubbing the bottom side! o_O
cKku4HG.jpg

Wait a minute…. That’s not the same LJ!
At one point I had four simultaneously. Two LJs (Blue and Green), along with two TJs (Silver TJ Sport and a Black Rubicon). My wife said I was Jeep hoarding, I agreed, so some needed to go. The Black Rubicon was given to my best friend. There's a story here! :)

Due to family obligations the Blue LJ sat in the garage and wasn't used like I planned. It was built to wheel, but really didn't, so it was sold to someone that will make it even better and wheel it. I keep telling myself the green LJ won't get wheeled, but I'm planning to build it like it will. We'll see what happens there.

I'm now down to two, the Green LJ and Silver Sport. Hopefully that number will be down to one and the Jeep life will get a little simpler. The time, and expense, needed to build and maintain two, at least the way I do, is significant.

At one point I had four simultaneously. Two LJs (Blue and Green), along with two TJs (Silver TJ Sport and a Black Rubicon). My wife said I was Jeep hoarding, I agreed, so some needed to go. The Black Rubicon was given to my best friend. There's a story here! :)

Due to family obligations the Blue LJ sat in the garage and wasn't used like I planned. It was built to wheel, but really didn't, so it was sold to someone that will make it even better and wheel it. I keep telling myself the green LJ won't get wheeled, but I'm planning to build it like it will. We'll see what happens there.

I'm now down to two, the Green LJ and Silver Sport. Hopefully that number will be down to one and the Jeep life will get a little simpler. The time, and expense, needed to build and maintain two, at least the way I do, is significant.
I keep trying to simplify my Jeep life as well but it never happens. It’s tough to build a jeep that can do it all. Two is almost a requirement if your going to wheel.

Reactions: Irun and Wildman
I keep trying to simplify my Jeep life as well but it never happens. It’s tough to build a jeep that can do it all. Two is almost a requirement if your going to wheel.
As we discussed, this was my thinking as well. For the types of areas I generally wheel in, the TJ is just a better fit for the tight woods and trails I frequent. Selling the TJ means my wheeling will likely be reduced for the next few years, which is fine for where I am in life. That said, I can still get some enjoyment from the LJ, by simply working on it, and driving it, whenever possible. (y)

You’re telling me… I’m just trying to keep one on the trail. The green is my favorite.

As we discussed, this was my thinking as well. For the types of areas I generally wheel in, the TJ is just a better fit for the tight woods and trails I frequent. Selling the TJ means my wheeling will likely be reduced for the next few years, which is fine for where I am in life. That said, I can still get some enjoyment from the LJ, by simply working on it, and driving it, whenever possible. (y)
I have been eying up an 04 LJ that is somewhat local. It’s mostly stock and looks to be in good shape. It would be nice to start with a clean slate and build something based on what I want, as opposed to having to deal with inherited mods that are less than desirable. Problem is I would have to sell my current TJ and I’m just not sure I can bring myself to do it.

Yesterday, I received the steering damper and track bar reinforcement plate @mrblaine sent me. As usual, it's a simple but elegant solution to a chronic TJ/LJ problem, i.e. a cracked, distorted, or torn front track bar bracket. He also recommended Iron Rock lower control arm brackets. Those showed up as well and look like they mean business. One things for sure, I'll never have to worry about a torn or bent lower control arm bracket again!

It will likely be a few weeks before I can dig into the HP 30, but I'm looking forward to it. This will be the first time in almost 20 years that I've built an axle from a bare housing, so I'm anxious to get started. As always, thanks to everyone who continues to provide advice and support on my little 31" tire build. It seems a little strange, but I've had more fun, and learned a ton more, with this build than any other! (y)

https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/universal-lower-control-arm-brackets-tjljxjmj.html
View attachment 304122

The lower mounts don’t seem to be a common failure point are they, at least as long as they have mini skids?

Are you planning to do these in the rear also?

The lower mounts don’t seem to be a common failure point are they, at least as long as they have mini skids?

Are you planning to do these in the rear also?
I've torn two sets of front lower mounts, so I'm not taking any chances. The rears are generally not a problem. They will just get mini skids.

9qmbZaa.jpg