A lesson learned—keep it light and nimble!

What is the backlash? 0.0035"?

0.035. However, I'm going to start over and measure when I'm fresher. Pinion bearing pre-load was measuring 20 in/lb, but that was with the seal. I don't see any indication the Pinion was out, so I'm starting with the backlash.

Reactions: reddvltj
That makes me feel cheap. At least buy me beers first. Speaking of which, I'm due for a kitchen pass and no assigned overtime in sight 😎

• Love
Reactions: Irun
0.035. However, I'm going to start over and measure when I'm fresher. Pinion bearing pre-load was measuring 20 in/lb, but that was with the seal. I don't see any indication the Pinion was out, so I'm starting with the backlash.

So, you started at zero on the dial indicator? Then you're measuring closer to 0.0365" That seems WAY outta whack. I concur with your decision to remeasure. Make sure your bearing caps are tightened to spec.

So, you started at zero on the dial indicator? Then you're measuring closer to 0.0365" That seems WAY outta whack. I concur with your decision to remeasure. Make sure your bearing caps are tightened to spec.

Yep, started at zero and those were the numbers I saw. I also ran a quick pattern, which showed that I need to go deeper. Like I said, I'll regroup when there is time!

Reactions: reddvltj and RINC
After picking up the Milwaukee 1/4" (48-22-9004) and 3/8" (48-22-9008) socket set for "compact" trail tools, I completed the set with the following:

Packout 11 compartment case - 48-22-8431;
1/4" and 3/8" socket trays - 48-22-9486T; and
Packout 5 compartment case (For assorted nuts, washers, bolts, etc.) - 48-22-8436

While you can buy the socket sets together, with the case, by ordering it all separate I was able to get it all for the same price, including the extra 5 compartment case.

[URL]https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mi...h-PACKOUT-Case-106-Piece-48-22-9486/313128236[/URL]

20230116_095530.jpg

20230116_095541.jpg

20230116_100937.jpg

After picking up the Milwaukee 1/4" (48-22-9004) and 3/8" (48-22-9008) socket set for "compact" trail tools, I completed the set with the following:

Packout 11 compartment case - 48-22-8431;
1/4" and 3/8" socket trays - 48-22-9486T; and
Packout 5 compartment case (For assorted nuts, washers, bolts, etc.) - 48-22-8436

While you can buy the socket sets together, with the case, by ordering it all separate I was able to get it all for the same price, including the extra 5 compartment case.

[URL][URL]https://www.homedepot.com...h-PACKOUT-Case-106-Piece-48-22-9486/313128236[/URL][/URL]

View attachment 392563

View attachment 392564

View attachment 392565

That has been my go to socket for a while now. Good choice on putting it all together.

You're going to need more packout stuff.

Are you changing the title to "keep the Jeep light and nimble, so you can load it down with Packout boxes?"

I have a general rule where extra weight, besides myself, in the Jeep is limited to 120lbs. This means that only a couple of these will go in the vehicle with me. They will be used to hold:

- fluids;
- spare u-joints;
- a few critical sensors and hoses;
- a small assortment of nuts & bolts;
- a small assortment of electrical connectors and wire; and
- tools

I also have a Carhart canvas bag that my recovery gear goes in, along with a small cooler. All of that usually comes in well under my weight limit. Since I trailer the Jeep, the rest will go in the truck, to include camping gear, more parts, fluids, tools, etc. The aggregation of these just helps me be much better organized and ready to go quickly! :)

Last edited:
I have a general rule where extra weight, besides myself, in the Jeep is limited to 120lbs. This means that only only a couple of these will go in the vehicle with me. They will be used to hold:

- fluids;
- spare u-joints;
- tools

I also have a Carhart canvas bag that my recovery gear goes in, along with a small cooler. All of that usually comes in well under my weight limit. Since I trailer the Jeep, the rest will go in the truck, to include camping gear, more parts, fluids, tools, etc. The aggregation of these just helps me be much better organized and ready to go quickly! :)

Will you add packout mounting plate? If it works out space wise in mine I might.

31iIci1sDlL.jpg

Will you add packout mounting plate? If it works out space wise in mine I might.

View attachment 394240

I'm undecided. Typically, I just use the seat brackets and ratchet straps to tie the boxes down. My main point for the indecision is whether the mounting plate would keep everything in place in the event of a rollover. I'd likely end up with ratchet straps anyway, so I'm not convinced going with the plate would provide any value. However, if it held up to the weight upside down, it would make access to the stuff better, when in the correct upright position. Make sense? :unsure:

I have a general rule where extra weight, besides myself, in the Jeep is limited to 120lbs. This means that only only a couple of these will go in the vehicle with me. They will be used to hold:

- fluids;
- spare u-joints;
- tools

Why specifically 120 lb?

View attachment 394240

I feel like I measured out the packout mounting plate in a TJ and it wouldn't work without removing the rear seat. If the rear seat is not needed, then I would definitely go this route.

Reactions: Irun and reddvltj