A list of American companies we need to be buying from to help them survive

But does make you wonder why they chose to send their manufacturing overseas. When other companies are doing their manufacturing here in the US for some of the same types of parts. Its always been a curiosity of mine.

The most obvious explanation would be to save money.

However, I think in many cases it has to do with the production facilities and tooling simply not being available here stateside. Not to say they couldn't create the tooling and facilities, but often times the cost outweighs the benefit.

I'm only speculating of course, but that's my best guess.

I take it you are not familiar with their transition overseas. Their quality took a nose dive when they chose to move their manufacturing to China.

No, I missed that to be honest.

I had the AEV DualSport 3.5" lift as well as the AEV tire carrier on my JK, and the quality was actually outstanding, particularly the tire carrier.

Of course I can't compare it to any older AEV stuff, since I've never owned any AEV parts prior to that (and the Pintler wheels).

That's too bad to here, I didn't know they were every making stuff here in the USA.

Sorry, shouldn't have suggested you were in that boat. It "seemed" like you had issue with the list because companies you are a fan of aren't on the list because they outsourced some work and you felt they were still good products and companies worthy of support. I thought that was your issue with the list.

My issue, like the other guy, is that these lists are based on vague standards. Factor 55 being made in America does not change the fact that the foundations of their product line encourage dangerous rigging and promote misunderstandings. The criteria of the list does not filter out irresponsible American companies.

Last edited:
Reactions: pagrey
My issue, like the other guy, is that these lists are based on vague standards. Factor 55 being made in America does not change the fact that the foundations of their product line encourages dangerous rigging and promotes misunderstandings. The criteria of the list does not filter out irresponsible American companies.

You are likely never to understand, it's too bad.

39588939_2086038611427301_1814605106826444800_o.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw
The most obvious explanation would be to save money.

However, I think in many cases it has to do with the production facilities and tooling simply not being available here stateside. Not to say they couldn't create the tooling and facilities, but often times the cost outweighs the benefit.

I'm only speculating of course, but that's my best guess.
I worked for a company that built a lot of equipment with foreign sourced product. Obviously money is a factor but they had the capacity and capability when it’s few and far between stateside.

Where else do you source a 7’ diameter hinge pin?;)

Reactions: Chris
I worked for a company that built a lot of equipment with foreign sourced product. Obviously money is a factor but they had the capacity and capability when it’s few and far between stateside.

Where else do you source a 7’ diameter hinge pin?;)

My understanding, at least in recent years, is that China makes fabric/clothing better than America. I'm sure we could increase our quality but that's not doable when an already good source exists. Same goes for many markets.

What is that thing? I’ve seen their safety thimble knockoff but that looks like there’s nothing to hook to.

It's for storing your winch line (duh, because who would want to leave the "hook" end on?). Factor 55 proudly showed it to me last year. You can support an American company and buy one right now. (don't ask me WHY you'd want one, I don't know the answers)

No, I missed that to be honest.

I had the AEV DualSport 3.5" lift as well as the AEV tire carrier on my JK, and the quality was actually outstanding, particularly the tire carrier.

Of course I can't compare it to any older AEV stuff, since I've never owned any AEV parts prior to that (and the Pintler wheels).

That's too bad to here, I didn't know they were every making stuff here in the USA.
Yes, they used to make their wheels in the USA. Then for reasons unknown, moved their manufacturing overseas. (Prices didnt change) The owner of Trailready wheels (when they were still cast in the USA) And AEV got into a little spat online (pirate4x4, IIRC) about it. It can be found through google.

Reactions: Chris
is that so people don’t steal their actual end fitting?

No. It's much better than that. You are seeing a marvel of American innovation. It's a purpose made thimble gouger.

Put Factor 55 on the list! They must survive even if their customers don't.

• Haha
Reactions: Vasq
Yes, they used to make their wheels in the USA. Then for reasons unknown, moved their manufacturing overseas. (Prices didnt change) The owner of Trailready wheels (when they were still cast in the USA) And AEV got into a little spat online (pirate4x4, IIRC) about it. It can be found through google.
Prices shouldn’t be based on cost, you price based on what someone will pay.

My understanding, at least in recent years, is that China makes fabric/clothing better than America. I'm sure we could increase our quality but that's not doable when an already good source exists. Same goes for many markets.
Could be true, lets speculate that it is. The issue is, we are not talking about clothing here. Here we are talking mainly, metal.

It's for storing your winch line (duh, because who would want to leave the "hook" end on?). Factor 55 proudly showed it to me last year. You can support an American company and buy one right now. (don't ask me WHY you'd want one, I don't know the answers)
It’s more obvious in this pic, can’t believe people would buy that.

IMG_6605-1.jpg

Prices shouldn’t be based on cost, you price based on what someone will pay.
I would speculate that the reason for sending manufacturing overseas is to have a product made cheaper.

When thinking China, it usually means cheaper labor and materials, correct?

Which should result in a cheaper asking price, correct?

If the answer to the asking price question is no, then its to make more profit; this I speculate. 🤡 Which is great for some folks who run companies. Money is all that matters. More is better.