A little string to lock the tail gate

Vinman

TJ Enthusiast
A few people asked about this so I thought I’d show a few pics on how to lock the tailgate without having to use the key, just a tug on the string and the gate is locked.
I first did this mod within a week of buying my first new TJ back in 2000 and on every TJ I’ve owned since.

Pictures are self explanatory.

866D7F91-E712-4306-8AB5-5B6FC67BC6FA.jpeg
8C2A9E00-41DA-4786-ADCD-AE25745685FB.jpeg
E8DAF0AA-909D-4368-8B46-23D14315A5CD.jpeg

Last edited:
So you can lock the tailgate without having to use your key.

But why? With the top off anyone can have access to the rear with a locked gate. WIth a top on you have to crawl back there to pull it. Seems like the key is easier...

But why? With the top off anyone can have access to the rear with a locked gate. WIth a top on you have to crawl back there to pull it. Seems like the key is easier...

My thought was, when I’m out on the trails with no top on I usually just leave my keys in the ignition. When I had a tailgate I usually left my recovery equipment and tools behind the rear seat when I have one in. On my roll cage I have a bar that goes behind the rear seat and it’s also where I have the rear seat harness attached to. I can’t really pull a bag up from there so would have open my tailgate. I could put my hand easily between the harness bar and the tailgate though.

Just my reasoning for liking it

My thought was, when I’m out on the trails with no top on I usually just leave my keys in the ignition. When I had a tailgate I usually left my recovery equipment and tools behind the rear seat when I have one in. On my roll cage I have a bar that goes behind the rear seat and it’s also where I have the rear seat harness attached to. I can’t really pull a bag up from there so would have open my tailgate. I could put my hand easily between the harness bar and the tailgate though.

Just my reasoning for liking it

The string locks the tailgate, though. It sounds like you're describing how it would benefit you if the string unlocks the tailgate.

Reactions: WestCoastDan
Is it possible to use this to lock the gate before you close it? If so, I could see the benefit when you have a top on. Saves a step.

If you can figure out how to use a string to lock open differentials, I would call you the master of lifehacks!