A little wheeling, mostly camping

mushdogs

Removing warning labels would solve problems.
Supporting Member
We went camping last weekend, mostly just puttered up the trail to a good spot and stayed for a couple days and relaxed. Broke in my newest Dutch Oven properly.
C4BB4E08-FBF2-42E7-842F-99923577ED6B.jpeg
2F21B274-3D48-478E-B61B-4CC22E4D5094.jpeg
EE9DAF59-A9ED-499B-A138-0D81A2ED0A71.jpeg
66AF3B47-C231-4ED6-ACBD-431F86E7D76B.jpeg
140D8C62-755E-4625-9589-74A73D95A038.jpeg

Reactions: mushdogs
Biscuits and gravy, if it's not a secret recipe please share. I have to make that next time I get out.
No secret whatsoever. I just browned a pound of country sausage in the DO, added some cayenne. When it was cooked and without removing the sausage from the rendered fat, I sprinkled in some flour, maybe two tablespoons give or take and made sure it browned into a roux. You can add a few tablespoons of butter if the sausage is really lean. I typically take shelf stable milk when camping, although evaporated or powdered milk works just as well. Mixed the milk in, eyeballed it about midway up the pot and tossed in a pinch or two of salt and pepper. The biscuits were a little more involved. They are sourdough. I premix dry ingredients prior to a trip, then cut in lard. (You can use butter, I like using lard because it doesn’t need refrigerated, and stays soft even on a cold morning unlike butter. Heck, I’ve even made them with bacon drippings.) Add in milk and sourdough starter, mix and cut out. Laid them atop the sausage gravy. I pulled the coals away from directly underneath of the oven to just around the edge. On the lid I went somewhat light with coals until the biscuits had about doubled, then heavier to finish cooking and to brown the tops. I’ve made this with Bisquick and canned biscuits also.

This is for an 8” Dutch Oven. Enough for 3 people or 2 rather hungry ones.

For the biscuits:
Dry-
1 1/3 cup of flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Wet:
2 tbsp lard or butter
1 cup sourdough starter
1/4 milk

cut the lard/butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles cornmeal. Add the starter and milk and mix until a ball forms. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for a couple minutes. Cut out the biscuits and then let rest for 15 minutes.

Last edited: