A month using a toy knife

OldYeller

TJ Enthusiast
I just thought you guys might enjoy seeing this.I found this little keychain butterfly knife cleaning out my uncles house after he passed away earlier this year.I entered a month long one knife challenge with it, it's the only cutting tool I've used this month, no scissors or anything.Heres a before picture.

20191027_234626.jpg

Heres a picture I took after completing all of the challenges missions, there was 12 missions.I had to wrap it with heat shrink and jute twine to make the handle bigger, it's been sharpened so many times its lost 1/4", its smaller then a 1/10th scale action figure knife from the movie Predator now.
20191122_062457.jpg

I've carved hats full of tinder with it to start my fires.

20191101_172125.jpg

Pot hooks and improvised pots

20191125_130545.jpg

20191125_130520.jpg

Its battoned wood

20191103_053514.jpg

Carved a spoon and a fork

20191108_180834.jpg

20191108_180916.jpg

A net needle

20191109_001142.jpg

More to come

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. No idea what would possess you to do it, but it's a hoot. Thanks for sharing!

I just like knives, doing stuff like this is alot more fun then testing my sharpening skills on paper.Feel free to share and talk about whatever knife you've been using, the forum needs a little more knife discussion.

If you havent tried one these WorkSharp field sharpeners yett, they are excellent.They have diamond plates, ceramic rods and a leather strop for $25.

Heres a picture of what my knife looked like after using it as a ferro rod striker for a natural tinder challenge.

20191121_214710.jpg

My sharpener is a few years old.From all the heavy use this month i dried out the leather and the polishing compound flaked off.

20191122_002538.jpg

So I cleaned the sharpener, conditioned the leather and applied fresh stropping compound

20191122_004654.jpg

Sharp enough to shave with again

20191122_010427.jpg

Last edited:
I almost coughed up a lung laughing! This is unreal. You are crazy man! What kind of time do you have on your hands? I am still laughing while typing this.

I almost coughed up a lung laughing! This is unreal. You are crazy man! What kind of time do you have on your hands? I am still laughing while typing this.

I almost gave up half way through it, I carved that spoon out of some rock hard maple like a idiot lol.Luckily I found some wood that was soft like balsa, the frog gig only took like 20 minutes to carve with proper wood.

I enjoyed it, someone gave me a complete Beavercraft wood carving tool set this month to help me get into carving as a hobby.Its been worthwhile doing this stuff online.Next year I'm going to try hand carving some Santa figures for Christmas tree ornaments to give as gifts.

Reactions: Squatch and jeepins
I haven’t seen this kind of woodcraft since I was in scouts way back in the sixties. Nice work.
I have a passel of knives but as a major part of my life is spent in airports, they stay on my dresser. My fav at the moment is my late grandfather’s Imperial, made from 1946 to 1956. So either as old as I am or ten years older.

I did pick up a Finnish fillet knife, not a Rapala, at a flea market earlier this year.
48611760278_f9d4383ea3.jpg

My motorcycling buddy in Finland identified it as a J. Marttiini, still made in Finland. Needs work but for $8 with a sheath, I’m not complaining.

I carried a Swiss army knife for a decade but lost it to our fake security theater recently. Like I was going to take someone out with the can opener. That thing opened more wine bottles than I can count. The knife was worn and the corkscrew slightly bent. So I have a new one picked out for Christmas. I may have to go smaller after this thread.

For now, I have a 4" blade folding knife that I use when working outside in the cold, but it doesn't open bottles. :( I can find and open that one with gloves on. I've carried a pocket knife since my uncle gave me one for Christmas when I was 8 years old. Now you can get arrested in elementary school if you have a plastic spork on you.

I was headed to a football game with some buddies and my beloved swiss army knife was in my pocket going through security at the airport. #*$&!!!! TSA asked where I was going and when i'd be back. Told me he'll be working when I get home Sun night. He sure was. Handed it back to me and told me to get the hell out of the airport (with a smile) and don't be an idiot next time.

I was headed to a football game with some buddies and my beloved swiss army knife was in my pocket going through security at the airport. #*$&!!!! TSA asked where I was going and when i'd be back. Told me he'll be working when I get home Sun night. He sure was. Handed it back to me and told me to get the hell out of the airport (with a smile) and don't be an idiot next time.
LUCKY!

I daily carry either a Becker BK14 or CRKT Obake for the last 2 or 3 years. The BK stays sharp now that I dont use the Kydex sheath anymore. The Obake is very low key and a great handling knife, both are tough as nails and do any task I ask of them. I have an aversion to folders due to the lock and fold joint are potential fail points. Also I have heard to many horror stories of careless people closing them on their own thumbs.

Reactions: OldYeller
I lost mine at a concert. We walked for blocks from the parking spot and stood in the long security line.

Afterwards we figure out I could have "taken it back to the car" by stashing it outside in the bushes. But it was worn out so I'm getting a new one. It needs to have the can opener, scissors, bottle opener, tweezers, screwdriver, and a knife. Anything else in the smallest package possible is a bonus.

Some guy is not going to try anything with a small Swiss army knife. The only thing security does is funnel people into a tight area closer to the doors; making them easier targets.

I used to carry a Gerber MP600 multitool, but I rarely use the pliers camping and hiking so I replaced it with a black Swiss Champ to lighten my load.

This is my newest knife, a SAK Huntsman Warhawk edition.Chris, DLT Trading has 2 versions of the Flying Tiger SAK's, the OD Green Warhawk and a silver Warthog version, the mouths are a bit different also.

20191114_155132.jpg

I made some wooden lanyard beads for it myself.I glued some brass tubing into a hole I drilled in some mohogany, then spun it in my drill on some sandpaper.

20191115_205921.jpg

Then I soaked them in some West Systems epoxy.Im going to put this brass bomb between 2 of them on the SAK's lanyard.

20191119_160920.jpg

I haven’t seen this kind of woodcraft since I was in scouts way back in the sixties. Nice work.
I have a passel of knives but as a major part of my life is spent in airports, they stay on my dresser. My fav at the moment is my late grandfather’s Imperial, made from 1946 to 1956. So either as old as I am or ten years older.

I did pick up a Finnish fillet knife, not a Rapala, at a flea market earlier this year.
View attachment 126741
My motorcycling buddy in Finland identified it as a J. Marttiini, still made in Finland. Needs work but for $8 with a sheath, I’m not complaining.
I have a few puukko knives from Finland. Got them from the Finnish military when they were in Bosnia.

My sentimental favorite, although definitely not a toy, is a bolo knife I picked up in 1977 at JEST (Jungle Environment Survival Training) at Cubi Pt. in the Phillipines, back when I was a young, reckless Naval Aircrewman. The indigenous instructors could make anything with one of these and some bamboo, and they taught us plenty of tricks. Over the years I have polished it up a bit and made a leather sheath to replace the original wood one that came apart after years of abuse. I have taken a fair amount of metal off it keeping it sharp, but it has come in handy from time to time clearing fallen timber from trails and is likely to outlast me by a significant margin.

20180704_111657[1].jpg

Speaking of bolos, this was a 1917 bolo that had lost its guard and had broken scales so last year I reshaped it and cut the tang to make a Krag Bowie. Turned out sharp. Very rare original Krag Bowies are about $4000.00, mine was considerably cheaper. When a small number were issued to troops to test in the field they were found to be kind of fragile and too light to use as real machetes. No more were produced.

9786AB93-4794-4C05-BC4A-19E7F7678C7D.jpeg

09202A84-A17F-487C-B573-11BCAFFB0ADC.jpeg

Last edited:
Speaking of bolos, this was a 1917 bolo that had lost its guard and had broken scales so last year I reshaped it and cut the tang to make a Krag Bowie. Turned out sharp. Very rare original Krag Bowies are about $4000.00, mine was considerably cheaper. When a small number were issued to troops to test in the field they were found to be kind of fragile and too light to use as real machetes. No more were produced.

View attachment 126775

View attachment 126776
If someone came at me with one of those monsters I'd run away screaming without a moment's hesitation - and then I'd call in an airstrike...