A rebuild of #miRustyJeep...

New tire day!
IMG_20210916_172337295.jpg

Took a break from wrenching to spend some time with the wife tonight. We're in the home stretch of kicking off a kitchen remodel, so she's picking finishes and colors, stones, tiles, etc. She needed some support tonight. It's a bit overwhelming and she's feeling the pressure of permanence.

I do have some more details on the tires. I got a really good deal (I feel) on some used general grabber x3s. I bought two brand new and three used tires 35x 12.5-17 LRE. Out the door for $1079. He ended up throwing a fourth used tire in for free. It has lifted tread blocks, but if I shread a tire, it can rotate in as my spare.

The two new tires measure 21/32 tread depth. The two used tires that are on the front measure 15/32 and the spare is down to 12/32. I'll get a long time out of them.
IMG_20210916_183348_01.jpg

Finally, I have the proper size tire for a 17" wheel!

Edit:. Gotta remember to pick up my trashed barn... You guys are seeing too much of my tendency to be a slob!

Took a break from wrenching to spend some time with the wife tonight. We're in the home stretch of kicking off a kitchen remodel, so she's picking finishes and colors, stones, tiles, etc. She needed some support tonight. It's a bit overwhelming and she's feeling the pressure of permanence.

I do have some more details on the tires. I got a really good deal (I feel) on some used general grabber x3s. I bought two brand new and three used tires 35x 12.5-17 LRE. Out the door for $1079. He ended up throwing a fourth used tire in for free. It has lifted tread blocks, but if I shread a tire, it can rotate in as my spare.

The two new tires measure 21/32 tread depth. The two used tires that are on the front measure 15/32 and the spare is down to 12/32. I'll get a long time out of them. View attachment 277352

Edit:. Gotta remember to pick up my trashed barn... You guys are seeing too much of my tendency to be a slob!

Nice looking tires and GREAT deal on them too. So you know it's coming but I'll say it anyhow, Where are the pictures?
Need to see them mounted on the rig...

And... The 33s are sold! Got 400 bucks for em, so total upgrade cost was just under 700 dollars. Not a bad cost to go to 35s. Of course, all the rest of the shit that has to be done costs a bucket of dollar bills...
I sold my 5 x 35's on wheels for $500 to a member here. Guess I should have asked more. Even delivered them for free (on way to TJFest).

Reactions: Wildman and Mike_H
And... The 33s are sold! Got 400 bucks for em, so total upgrade cost was just under 700 dollars. Not a bad cost to go to 35s. Of course, all the rest of the shit that has to be done costs a bucket of dollar bills...
Look at it this way, I spent a bucket of dollar bills to go to 31s. That doesn't even sound right! o_O

Anyone considering the X3 General, do it. Yes they're a bit heavy but man what a tire. I've had them for over 10,000 miles, 10+ wheeling trips, and a decent winter and I can't say enough good things about them. They look good and perform great. Never had an issue in heavy rain at high speeds. Just an awesome tire.

The Sway-loc testimonials have me convinced to just wait a bit longer to save up for one.

10/18/2022 Update-Tires are still awesome and I bought an anti-rock instead of saving for a sway-loc haha

Last edited:
Anyone considering the X3 General, do it. Yes they're a bit heavy but man what a tire. I've had them for over 10,000 miles, 10+ wheeling trips, and a decent winter and I can't say enough good things about them. They look good and perform great. Never had an issue in heavy rain at high speeds. Just an awesome tie.

The Sway-loc testimonials have me convinced to just wait a bit longer to save up for one.
You ain't kidding they are heavy. I'm telling myself that all that extra weight is because they have REALLY tough sidewalls, so I don't have to worry about them being cut!

Reactions: Wildman
Figured the rabbit hole was getting deep, so thought you might need a bigger shovel. Just messing with ya! Hehe!
This particular rabbit hole has a bottom. I know what needs to be done, its been well documented and its proven to work. No sense in trying to break new ground.

The two new tires measure 21/32 tread depth. The two used tires that are on the front measure 15/32 and the spare is down to 12/32. I'll get a long time out of them. View attachment 277352

Great table saw.

Reactions: Mike_H
Working on it. I'm doing some other work to the Jeep. Should be finished tonight, so I'll get some pics this weekend.

You know I had to give you a little grief about it.... I know you got more irons in the fire. Get the Honey Do List done so you stay in the good graces of CIC.

Reactions: Mike_H
Working through some stuff in the ol Jeep. I installed some tie rod flip brackets from Mr Blaine. Also installed the HD steering linkage kit from Currie.

With my relatively short shocks (skyjacker black max) an inch of bumpstop was all that was required to protect the shocks.

If you give a peek at this Thread you can see some of my struggles with pushing the limits of bumpstop.

I installed 1.5" of extension and rolled with it, based on the 33s I was running and knowing I was installing 35s.

Tonight, I installed a tire to check my clearance. With the axle at full bump on both sides, things look really good.
IMG_20210917_204930238_HDR.jpg

Full lock, turned toward passenger.

IMG_20210917_204806478.jpg

Just a little interference on the bolt heads.

However, when I flex the axle to full articulation, the situation gets a bit worse.
IMG_20210917_205104130.jpg

There isn't any room for the tire to turn. It's in to the flare HARD. It also won't turn, crashing into the rear fender.

For those of you with 5" of up travel, how are you handling this? I know @jjvw uses MCE fenders, but don't remember if that was the reason.

• Wow
Reactions: Wildman
Working through some stuff in the ol Jeep. I installed some tie rod flip brackets from Mr Blaine. Also installed the HD steering linkage kit from Currie.

With my relatively short shocks (skyjacker black max) an inch of bumpstop was all that was required to protect the shocks.

If you give a peek at this Thread you can see some of my struggles with pushing the limits of bumpstop.

I installed 1.5" of extension and rolled with it, based on the 33s I was running and knowing I was installing 35s.

Tonight, I installed a tire to check my clearance. With the axle at full bump on both sides, things look really good. View attachment 277483

Full lock, turned toward passenger.

View attachment 277484

Just a little interference on the bolt heads.

However, when I flex the axle to full articulation, the situation gets a bit worse.
View attachment 277485

There isn't any room for the tire to turn. It's in to the flare HARD. It also won't turn, crashing into the rear fender.

For those of you with 5" of up travel, how are you handling this? I know @jjvw uses MCE fenders, but don't remember if that was the reason.
The way I'm set up with front 12s split 50/50, the MCEs allow the tires to rise maybe 3/8" above where the factory fender lip was. I don't think they would be functionally useful with 11s.

For me, the largest problem was that I couldn't achieve full flex, full steering lock without really digging hard into the rear fender wall. I couldn't steer in those situations. That is how I ended up cutting off the frame side track bar mount and ultimately moving the axle forward about 1.5-2". Now that I also moved the upper spring seats forward, the most tire rub I get is the inner side wall against the spring seat. But now enough to bother me.

Reactions: Tob