A rebuild of #miRustyJeep...

Its hardtop season, sigh....

Since I'm driving the jeep instead of trailering this weekend (5'ish hours) I decided to put the hardtop on for the first time in a couple years. It looks pretty good, I think...but I still miss the softtop.

Well, at least you'll be able to hear the radio. I look forward to pics of the inevitable northern Michigan pinstriping.

Reactions: Mike_H and Wildman
Yeah, yeah... never say never lol. Funny you should say that though. Right after this post, i thought "maybe I should get a welder and learn." And so it begins...
Careful.... Buying a welder is like a gateway drug. At first, you do it to be cool, then you realize it's a tool in the tool box and you start cutting shit up that you really have no business cutting apart, because you know you can fix it.

Careful.... Buying a welder is like a gateway drug. At first, you do it to be cool, then you realize it's a tool in the tool box and you start cutting shit up that you really have no business cutting apart, because you know you can fix it.
Then comes the grinder and the plasma cutter…

I personally had a grinder...its when you have multiple grinders that you realize you might have a problem. You could get help...but that sweet new plasma cutter just went on sale...
I’ve used my plasma more than my welder. Could use a couple more grinders.

Reactions: Wildman
I’ve used my plasma more than my welder. Could use a couple more grinders.
DSC_5847.JPG

as luck would have it, two days before my trip, in which I'm road tripping the wrangler 5 hours to and from, my battery decides to give up the ghost. I'm actually glad it went now, vs on a desolate island, but still...I was planning on getting an Odyssey but they are tough to find "in stock" anywhere. So, I was unprepared.

I looked around and found that Batteries Plus sells a Private Label AGM, called X2Power by Northstar. Northstar is mfg by Enersys, Anyway, I found a store relatively local to me that has a dual post version of the Group 34 X2 Power battery and reserved it online. It was 324 dollars with a 10% off coupon bringing my total to just under 300.

653757.jpg

When I showed up to get the battery, the guy was really apologetic. He said, the X2 brand is on national backorder, so they had to sub in the equivalent "upgrade" battery...and he handed me an Odyssey, (which is also mfg by Enersys)! So, I got my 350 dollar Odyssey 3478 dual post battery for 310 out the door.

Funny how sometimes, things just work out

Last edited:
A very clear picture for the phrase "time is money",,,,"time is a valuable resource, therefore it is better to do things as quickly as possible".
Mostly but it annoys me to have to hunt down the right disc or bring a stack of varied versions out to where I'm working. This is more about not being annoyed.

Reactions: SoCalGlide and Irun
In the interest of sharing those times we fuck up as well as succeed, so other can learn...

Here is my Jeep, minus one important component.

IMG_20211009_185905790.jpg

I am 5 hours+ from home and decided to drive the Jeep this time instead of trailer. No spare axle shaft. So... What happened?

When I was messing around with wheels and tires, I had to pull my adapters to get the 15" wheel I had borrowed on. When I decided to go back to the Pintlers, obviously, the adapters had to go back on. Here comes the fuck up. I didn't retorque the adapters after a hundred miles or so. This deviated from my SOP... And violates the rule I tell just about anyone who asks about running spacers. I just got complacent and forgot.

I was able to get off the trail. The axle is fine and I carry a spare adapter. Wheel is good too, but the one adapter is garbage. The place I am, Drummond island, doesn't have parts stores around every corner. So, I have a 50 mile journey to get some new wheel studs.

Remember to check torque!

Last edited: