A rebuild of #miRustyJeep...

Dang! I've never ran spacers before so this is a good learning moment for me. I have spacers but don't know if I'm going to have to run them or not. But if I do I'll try to remember this.
As long as you can get home that is all that matters.

In the interest of sharing those times we fuck up as well as succeed, so other can learn...

Here is my Jeep, minus one important component.

View attachment 282531

I am 5 hours+ from home and decided to drive the Jeep this time instead of trailer. No spare axle shaft. So... What happened?

When I was messing around with wheels and tires, I had to pull my adapters to get the 15" wheel I had borrowed on. When I decided to go back to the Pintlers, obviously, the adapters had to go back on. Here comes the fuck up. I didn't retorque the adapters after a hundred miles or so. This deviated from my SOP... And violates the rule I tell just about anyone who asks about running spacers. I just got complacent and forgot.

I was able to get off the trail. The axle is fine and I carry a spare adapter. Wheel is good too, but the one adapter is garbage. The place I am, Drummond island, doesn't have parts stores around every corner. So, I have a 50 mile journey to get some new wheel lugs.

Remember to check torque!
We never install without red Loctite. I've never been able to get my head around retorquing a Loctited fastener. If it is undertorqued, the Loctite isn't going to let it be torqued correctly the second time around. If it is loose, the Loctite didn't do its job.

We never install without red Loctite. I've never been able to get my head around retorquing a Loctited fastener. If it is undertorqued, the Loctite isn't going to let it be torqued correctly the second time around. If it is loose, the Loctite didn't do its job.
I haven't used loctite in the past. My reasoning is that you don't loctite the wheel lug nuts, so why do the spacer? Maybe I need to change my thinking... Lol

I haven't used loctite in the past. My reasoning is that you don't loctite the wheel lug nuts, so why do the spacer? Maybe I need to change my thinking... Lol
I actually don't know which is right. My confusion comes from Spydertrax who says to Loctite them and then check the torque in a 100 miles. My logic is you can't see the adapter lug nuts so you don't have an instant visual that they are messing up.

Reactions: Mike_H and Bud125
as luck would have it, two days before my trip, in which I'm road tripping the wrangler 5 hours to and from, my battery decides to give up the ghost. I'm actually glad it went now, vs on a desolate island, but still...I was planning on getting an Odyssey but they are tough to find "in stock" anywhere. So, I was unprepared.

I looked around and found that Batteries Plus sells a Private Label AGM, called X2Power by Northstar. Northstar is mfg by Enersys, Anyway, I found a store relatively local to me that has a dual post version of the Group 34 X2 Power battery and reserved it online. It was 324 dollars with a 10% off coupon bringing my total to just under 300.

View attachment 282056

When I showed up to get the battery, the guy was really apologetic. He said, the X2 brand is on national backorder, so they had to sub in the equivalent "upgrade" battery...and he handed me an Odyssey, (which is also mfg by Enersys)! So, I got my 350 dollar Odyssey 3478 dual post battery for 310 out the door.

Funny how sometimes, things just work out

AAWUweVE2sydNfttfpEQ_CLQ86rHjBl0P0i9l1lxocUmRUwNB4ehOEFKmVm9x7OjAGFhLMlflhB29IRLzv_joM49b5VS7fDan9jPZUDD091valNulSPtH6qEC6PQNVx_SI5LussUmvNxCEN96b31VonC9-9--H8mi7dYxvsays4IpOaAjtCBsr99zEW6kPqHxwHsjjRqbrXQketIUVgPPSxQWmxni9KTDWrhqdv8nhv7UTjUJFbV5Q3HRq8P719CXa6dJqQaQ9gVnj_6l12XGFY-XUEon29M6o-7p--_ZTeK8ddvBAvjhSsLALl24prtQg21NwPRsps2wbOSCt1P9TY7PBQ655Xju_I1_qvaqGtGoXfde_IXa8SgjxsEUZo2t1hUMpsjHgh2Y7sCiLeZE5ezjbmXGCmIh-fD3lbqbHuL8QDiJOhA8n-W1Sm9IFBbRNpxRDSwQoVdFrfohJRNtHEd2y2SbxZnLUlvTwAN3YJx-EtQg4lfTGd5tlPoAAfR6mPf4vZzTaYpj2Tq7JfP-LR90eraB0pElYrLtfhYBo3f8DZ_Tv4o1j7gQXKAvrNFJsGla4nMakj6sCQiEfj9bVjKdYtX6c5hBKkdADZ3D7HyMV5BGu7imfsCftXAuTqoLc6_lrerKMwT2pAA7LHb9xrEQGGSjHXIoDTaUPrVMLSHtw866ktOmxm-Y9YszUtTby-2GXJ1it7x5h2p-LcugLdFRf8dLuK3Tn7ripB5BFPAHqwZZB-IoT5yWxqJBfQDn43qyRIx6NDgbf67zIMgmKA1BwUv805iT0JcAvFZA_6XG-t7AAtjwHaKq28TCYHCoAzJpQ-s4WNA922YJyMRahvokQtSErbe4mDudAwEFhne-jWWuDe1fG9ioRlPRJ6jCB5DqQB7RT0BkWJgt5jdCDMd7p3CdI8j2F1-ziL1iHZBFSLejH039XXFX3GJeVxL2ie4ge_sISoULVCl1hNXuBL2soxT3mSfgsw6s98s5JfnXRaR1w5nrCGpKiur-NhvFIWLFzH5JkCAP8lSx_yj76Hsd1gh7bS3k54gUcaCX_3KQ4CSYpS_AZj7VyZAeaznBLLDr5I7sTU2o9yFCffvOpOCWbUZE_ZQBmPSH49essi72rS-Npdw0bUV27CCa5h8KEEt8bLhyw-e39jwK6LdKRjzxR7XecjdklRrEAbC3wC6tnSVacUMXaabUWnOpgCItAvSc2jux5ELrKdcs8Dc_79zLqi3K44WVsFACeXjQfzG7TQK5m8sw_vUQdG3kgW78X9J8Y_7zk3hBC1Ubg9ZcCBUf0Stumd6XK51909c5vPBJUB4LiQTIoOSI3lh_IBWDZ0jQXmplbCuvx511pn_sj2SbHqAtfzd3gH6JJGA9HikadpzVUZMMvnUb3IxNydwiF6rEa6lbRbmksvc1Ww9V8kZfqmD7nPyUC8lZIBiP0FUhlRYIMw8m_Xmdekj6pnQPqjNophabo2CRCXag7peYiwVUGqDKy7iEu9SHo2F9K4flAomZIVjAENQnU3s0yDm546kE9cu15T-6HY0H_yS_3wEXd8sPaRHEECsDHgD4TZudNdoIMQG85JQPh3oOyO2DWlYchs-p2aDDjSkh0nGY5Pz3JYGMAVd9ORwgacCS2zri4vb0X1Al1hufne0LzZnQ7rKwvvJg731vUVr9rZgj5MLt1sq2Tsmj0vprZbyhHP-hons60da5zLYZPwvtakY9CjdKoWJHl56Fbn1msRpuQRhh9MZanOylk0hMGm3BcOV4HbOjWmAZZrOxib8pcLu_GLr7mwXMhISNJYcbyLgvDnSs05h4nIL2bZjNYtUmO_P05nMXwo3Zv_Utr1CCTMHjFjT_NDWeJQERIrxV43eTv9xaVKnOK0wKRsSLM1tnrzR9LtImmrdo1DhLYoU9z-03etUKC6X_8eoq_sBhSKA0gILSIpyHaiJxl7fNRSGjudQzzX5rXUm4RVFV3vMOm09yBNzg3QV6ZvWj70X4w3o5CGhSuaGHgiRuMNbgsFOWoRzeEfw0md4OE-0YQ2lCnxv8kMOLOUKRrsvBeQZ_gvG25ptubm68_wle-BE5eqcHjvXAViI-EKEFbV3P_mjqTMWP7aHCtQqty2UKoAuTYaFX7ZbWLLPdzcd2VCBiRqPGFq64ZypekxsvJGIMVmQtH8hlnYjioq9beznig1wPdeuuJWmeW6sa8sJG8QxvotXhwOjNeAo_IBvxxfUJoPHRE96Uo0lteEfvBN5mCferJqKB8y5We-L-VseoYBZlRw1Lbd3Pp4vXNycDdzN9SG-PNJrlYZXg1GuYFcqOsz8foSmOtaVL3stPMt2ZAXc3S0RX9TLX995qaLG3UZKgS2YumIwGpDKyEDYTv2DaJ-TAdAm6_WvwdULseWEnhnWZb6RzmVC2v-jPDMDyDjAZrg-DfBJPpZisR75G6_aPSizKHAEuTlmjqmkx-uWSfcCOxeZGOFEqn7aMmoU2sSZUcAWdk9L2y4y2Ln76kR6jpaXZD0mrwlIR7htmw56uVHdtj_jC-1zdLyuqXmDAlQxZOZFOju1pYlAn6g4waNPtJjI_neGz7N3v_0ha8MlxTC6jjgT80DaTwh4YPwC5jL0D4fyx4Q7DjG6T5EEn25O0URGdDDuiZzVaLWr8xjH9BT1b7o5VgpMuanqJYtE3rdOf-yv-fxGjQWedUMi1BkuwWg0nYQSZeI0y1Flfvm-mKqc8No106s2_-xdYcwGP7UoY5Uj_bBS2UlGnVFBPt8ouLZI3X8C9N8x3FSQcOFshAlM_jR4N_Ar2i7SfDrkhvncfTngADqhXp8cAuetCziCJFAI6mZ32U8Xcr0lXfHnO3s4FdBF8oSpa_qRDcs7icBu0fzXueWTFlVP-zNn3mX3eqSDxKqbjKqIo8gyAqo0uzIAEqDWcO6rBKZHEJg3RZiL4Ka9R6k0gxIbTiuoYtVMUN6h6s_pJRcHthWOU8pkoMFYXeNCdZb9bDyaZu17fqIIRhn07JLVR79RWHyOFLgOwdKP5_sb4baHyhTZxKJaj4mMZufnaAiqal8a_sh7QdE71W07shoY3fnIsa24AonD7kQt27ObwjMVY18Cl7SgkkxApHd7MT80bGGdUb90lLs-3CPGHzj4OBwhxLeEgjPag1YjCmUy8WY5Y_x50CGYFXiAxrstWrHEdCS80UiMtVZlhXa86_X6T6Pwnwk_dbx6D9g2_Wn68xDteW8OCPttkGMLE5es_3OprrfmRQHk_SwpWBRFhX3SwtLtBnjktCtiTF_ULjWaec44BXg5-JkHGKCc58_zpeGbRhaReYBnwDnER_NOGLHjtrzCqLBPMANqEHx0mHnQ4jnCY6HSq7QdzfawdM_TvhsLziAjo-M_Oyv9vIGyFOiv7sPurwo5IJIyC60GEO9D8zJ_xndnDm1c4LAn_ocK2CI9EA8AsfKUzRZJkWfx7BOv7pe1D598japmmzVe5FYvZUF_cq-_yYZ88H7fal8kcRIi99vZnYAb474GwjCunrlOr4olqqCmownWohwE5m26uRiu5SCjLtqmD4mP-bEo80rqZmmf9V5liFjOLqBLB7-NrBxaCw7FqTlNl41QO-OWTgCjXUy57CfIPc78Bpe1MJNyQ6fEDTCWokJvs8qwaq8rMdg1Kui0pdsIZBTe8qwkLIc6PqvWL4E2325L8-dL5ULyfNfSdpUkPMOnpqTt88fUmWLC28FWh-Qsp7bF_nX-c0MK8Nml5KSARgIbsg=s1204-w1204-h902-no
That is awesome luck!

Reactions: Mike_H
In the interest of sharing those times we fuck up as well as succeed, so other can learn...

Here is my Jeep, minus one important component.

View attachment 282531

I am 5 hours+ from home and decided to drive the Jeep this time instead of trailer. No spare axle shaft. So... What happened?

When I was messing around with wheels and tires, I had to pull my adapters to get the 15" wheel I had borrowed on. When I decided to go back to the Pintlers, obviously, the adapters had to go back on. Here comes the fuck up. I didn't retorque the adapters after a hundred miles or so. This deviated from my SOP... And violates the rule I tell just about anyone who asks about running spacers. I just got complacent and forgot.

I was able to get off the trail. The axle is fine and I carry a spare adapter. Wheel is good too, but the one adapter is garbage. The place I am, Drummond island, doesn't have parts stores around every corner. So, I have a 50 mile journey to get some new wheel lugs.

Remember to check torque!
That will certainly make you pay closer attention. Thankfully, no major damage!

Reactions: Wildman and Mike_H
I actually don't know which is right. My confusion comes from Spydertrax who says to Loctite them and then check the torque in a 100 miles. My logic is you can't see the adapter lug nuts so you don't have an instant visual that they are messing up.
I'm gonna use loctite this time, cuz I don't want to stop and pull wheels halfway home.

Reactions: Wildman
IMG_20211010_203202395.jpg
After a 7 hour adventure, my Jeep is back on all four and ready to make the 250ish mile journey home. Had to wait for 2.5 hours to get off this island... One ferry, with about a 30 minute turn around time. That was the only downside. We went to Sault Ste Marie, saw Canada, had a nice round of appetizers at Antlers family restaurant, and headed back to the island. O'Reilly auto had the correct studs, so when I got back to the Jeep, I used my impact to pull those in. Put a liberal amount of red loctite on the adapter and we'll head home tomorrow.

I did bend the rear corner of my tub pretty badly when it fell off the tire. Also broke the un-obtanium Rubicon flare. Not terrible, I'll be able to fix it. Just a bummer.

I might be looking for some new wheels with the proper bolt pattern

Last edited:
View attachment 282631After a 7 hour adventure, my Jeep is back on all four and ready to make the 250ish mile journey home. Had to wait for 2.5 hours to get off this island... One ferry, with about a 30 minute turn around time. That was the only downside. We went to Sault Ste Marie, saw Canada, had a nice round of appetizers at Antlers family restaurant, and headed back to the island. O'Reilly auto had the correct studs, so when I got back to the Jeep, I used my impact to pull those in. Put a liberal amount of red loctite on the adapter and we'll head home tomorrow.

I did send the rear corner of my tub pretty badly when it fell off the tire. Also broke the un-obtanium Rubicon flare. Not terrible, I'll be able to fix it. Just a bummer.

I might be looking for some new wheels with the proper bolt pattern

Glad to see the you were able to get the parts you needed and be able to drive home. What a crazy story .. I've never run spacers but this is an important lesson to keep in mind for everyone.

How bad is the body damage? Will you need to get savvy style corners?

Glad to see the you were able to get the parts you needed and be able to drive home. What a crazy story .. I've never run spacers but this is an important lesson to keep in mind for everyone.

How bad is the body damage? Will you need to get savvy style corners?
Not terrible. Just the lower corner at the rear end of the wheel well. I've already bent most of it back.

I read the directions for Spydertrax adapters.. looks like they require a seating torque of 90 ft-lbs with lock tite. After 50 miles, they say re-torque at 80 ft-lbs. I guess they assume since the re-torque isn't as high, it won't disturb the lock tite? I don't know enough about threaded fasteners to know if that's true. Thoughts?
Screenshot_20211011-194540.png

Reactions: Irun
I read the directions for Spydertrax adapters.. looks like they require a seating torque of 90 ft-lbs with lock tite. After 50 miles, they say re-torque at 80 ft-lbs. I guess they assume since the re-torque isn't as high, it won't disturb the lock tite? I don't know enough about threaded fasteners to know if that's true. Thoughts?View attachment 282895
I’m guessing the re-torque shouldn’t move the fastener. If the fastener doesn’t rotate all should be well with the Loctite.

If it does rotate then it seems the loctite would be too dried up to be useful and should be reapplied.

Could be wrong never ventured down the utilizing old loctite path.

I’m guessing the re-torque shouldn’t move the fastener. If the fastener doesn’t rotate all should be well with the Loctite.

If it does rotate then it seems the loctite would be too dried up to be useful and should be reapplied.

Could be wrong never ventured down the utilizing old loctite path.
I would think the very moment you break the cured Loctite, the Loctite is no longer able to do it's job.

I would think the very moment you break the cured Loctite, the Loctite is no longer able to do it's job.
That is my thought too...I think I get it, lock tite has to be applied properly. If it's not, it doesn't work. I know properly applied red lock tite is a real bugger to let go... Much more than 10 ft-lbs. Generally, you need 300+ degrees of heat to get it let go... Or a ridiculous amount of torque. It's why I tried to avoid using it.

They are having you check to make sure that the lock tite did it's job

Reactions: Apparition
That is my thought too...I think I get it, lock tite has to be applied properly. If it's not, it doesn't work. I know properly applied red lock tite is a real bugger to let go... Much more than 10 ft-lbs. Generally, you need 300+ degrees of heat to get it let go... Or a ridiculous amount of torque. It's why I tried to avoid using it.

They are having you check to make sure that the lock tite did it's job
We get them off easily with an impact and never any heat unless it is a shock eye.

I realized I never posted any measurement of the Jeep. I still don't have a weight, but I did take some before and afters with the new tires and reconfiguring the front end.

So before, on 33s:

My tie rod was at 15.75 at the center line
Belly height was 17.5
Frame height at the front control arm was 19 3/4, at the rear is was 20"
Springs are 12" rear and 15 7/8 front at ride height.

After the tie rod flip and new 35s.

Tie rod is 18" at center line
Frame is 1 inch taller at both places, as is the belly (20 3/4 FCA, 21 RCA, 18.5 Belly)

Oh and just for @JMT my wheel base is approximately 92 1/4."

😉

I realized I never posted any measurement of the Jeep. I still don't have a weight, but I did take some before and afters with the new tires and reconfiguring the front end.

So before, on 33s:

My tie rod was at 15.75 at the center line
Belly height was 17.5
Frame height at the front control arm was 19 3/4, at the rear is was 20"
Springs are 12" rear and 15 7/8 front at ride height.

After the tie rod flip and new 35s.

Tie rod is 18" at center line
Frame is 1 inch taller at both places, as is the belly (20 3/4 FCA, 21 RCA, 18.5 Belly)

Oh and just for @JMT my wheel base is approximately 92 1/4."

😉
Hey man, get with the program. My wheel base is 94 1/4". 🤣